Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2014, 11:21 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,788,233 times

Advertisements

OP you might as well ask if we have a right to our lives. After all, through most of human history most of us were slaves of one kind or another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 11:41 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,986,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Are you saying there are no cases at all where someone can sublease anything?

You might think you own your land, but you don't. Like another poster said, stop paying taxes on that land and you'll quickly find out that you don't own it.
I own the land under my house. I am required to pay taxes on that land. That doesn't mean I don't own the land. The ownership of all property eventually escheats to the state. Ignorant people confuse that with lack of ownership.

Old 12-09-2014, 12:43 PM

13,929 posts, read 5,614,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
I own the land under my house. I am required to pay taxes on that land. That doesn't mean I don't own the land. The ownership of all property eventually escheats to the state. Ignorant people confuse that with lack of ownership.
You do not own that land. You have temporary permission to live on it, but that permission can be revoked any time the government chooses. Nobody but government owns anything, they can rent/borrow/use things, but government is the owner.

Old 12-09-2014, 01:09 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,595,663 times
Quote:
That's naive at best.

The government has you fooled.

Old 12-09-2014, 01:39 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,808,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
That's because you didn't buy that property right in the music. The property you bought was the personal and fair use of the music. If you want to use music beyond that, then buy the right to do so.

See what I mean? This is exactly what the OP is saying. In truth you don't own anything. Fair use is a lie. The fair use clause states you can use material for purposes such as commenting and reviewing.
And do you know how stupid it is to buy the right to use music for fun especially when that's expensive? The music is out there for you to enjoy the way you want to same thing with TV shows. If anything it's free publicity for the creators of the material so they should be thankful for this since it all comes down to money. Every invention is based on someone's idea..chances are even an everyday conversation you have has been used before so you might as well consider just living breaking the law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Phillips View Post
You are also required to report income obtained from the sale of illegal drugs. (The IRS is usually in on most major drug busts.) Income is taxable regardless of its source. Al Capone was not convicted of racketeering, but income tax evasion.
Yeah but I think you make more with illegal drugs don't you so it's not as big a deal though I see what you mean because maybe people have their reasons for selling them.

Old 12-09-2014, 02:29 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,094,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
See what I mean?
No, I don't. What I see is you complaining about not being able to use a piece of property you didn't buy.

Old 12-09-2014, 02:46 PM

8,881 posts, read 5,364,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
It depends.
It does indeed. This may be my property, but if tomorrow I decide a horse shall take up residence in the back yard I will be getting a notice to get it off my property.

Old 12-09-2014, 03:32 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,033,369 times
We really do not own our property, unfortunately. If I truly owned it, I wouldn't have to pay taxes on it or abide by a bunch of mostly nonsense rules and regulations, ie "you cant build a structure x number of feet away from this line". Government can get away with doing anything, sadly.

Old 12-09-2014, 03:34 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,986,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
You do not own that land. You have temporary permission to live on it, but that permission can be revoked any time the government chooses. Nobody but government owns anything, they can rent/borrow/use things, but government is the owner.
Ignorance is a poor substitute for understanding. My "permission" to live here is protected by layers of rights. But there certainly are circumstances where the government can force me to sell to them. The government's right to claim private property for the greater good is part of our Constitution.

Old 12-09-2014, 03:38 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,595,663 times
Quote:
Ignorance is a poor substitute for understanding. My "permission" to live here is protected by layers of rights. But there certainly are circumstances where the government can force me to sell to them. The government's right to claim private property for the greater good is part of our Constitution.
What if that greater good is that I'll build a prettier home than yours?

We've already seen them do it when someone offers to pay more taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies