Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 08:43 PM

10,833 posts, read 14,927,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacationmacation View Post
You must be a teacher or principal?
Nope, far from it. A licensed engineering technician.

Old 12-07-2014, 08:43 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I am 66 and plan working to at least 70 and very likely longer. I don't need the money I just like what I do, I enjoy working so why should I quit?

After college you would spend a minimum of 8 to 10 years gaining the experience required to hold a license I have. If you graduated with a BS in mechanical engineering you might be able to whittle that time down to 6 years but I sort of doubt it.

What possibly makes you think college prepares you to do anything I do?
Because their mommies and professor leftie told them how smart and special they are.

Old 12-07-2014, 08:45 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
Yes, there is a lot of sense to this. Consider also, it used to be if you started collecting social security at age 65 and chose to remain working, they would take a dollar of your social security away, for every two dollars you earned. The law was changed to allow older people who chose to remain working to collect full social security benefits without penalty with the only risk being moved up to a higher tax bracket.

Younger people do have it tough. Consider, people in their sixties and seventies got to go to college dirt cheap, didn't have to worry about as much competition getting into good schools, they got to buy their real estate dirt cheap, their were plenty of manufacturing jobs at the time, cars were much cheaper; sub compact cars were more exclusive for poorer people, where now they are for middle class. They didn't have millions of immigrant coming here legal or otherwise to compete for college enrollment, and jobs as well. Health insurance was much cheaper, if not free with many employers.
I paid more for college in the 70s than people do now that have scholarships, and had to work full time to pay for it. In my first job out of graduate school I had no health insurance, at my next employer, where I stayed 17 years, I paid more for my company health insurance than I do now. Cars were cheaper, but I made less than 1/10 of what people make now in the same job. A car the equivalent of my first new on is only about 8 times as much as then, and I remember my first color TV, a 19" was over $400, now you can get a 50" for less.

Old 12-07-2014, 08:51 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I paid more for college in the 70s than people do now that have scholarships, and had to work full time to pay for it. In my first job out of graduate school I had no health insurance, at my next employer, where I stayed 17 years, I paid more for my company health insurance than I do now. Cars were cheaper, but I made less than 1/10 of what people make now in the same job. A car the equivalent of my first new on is only about 8 times as much as then, and I remember my first color TV, a 19" was over $400, now you can get a 50" for less.
It's really cute how these young lefties think that we had it so easy.

Old 12-07-2014, 09:02 PM

527 posts, read 708,577 times
Quote:
And you're missing out less competition, much lower housing/renting cost, etc.

Old 12-07-2014, 09:03 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,846,093 times
Dude , Most Seniors cannot afford to retire especially with pensions being screwed up and cost of living

Old 12-07-2014, 09:34 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
So you think they can't do it on their own; sad.

Old 12-07-2014, 09:35 PM

672 posts, read 810,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
Yes, there is a lot of sense to this. Consider also, it used to be if you started collecting social security at age 65 and chose to remain working, they would take a dollar of your social security away, for every two dollars you earned. The law was changed to allow older people who chose to remain working to collect full social security benefits without penalty with the only risk being moved up to a higher tax bracket.

Younger people do have it tough. Consider, people in their sixties and seventies got to go to college dirt cheap, didn't have to worry about as much competition getting into good schools, they got to buy their real estate dirt cheap, their were plenty of manufacturing jobs at the time, cars were much cheaper; sub compact cars were more exclusive for poorer people, where now they are for middle class. They didn't have millions of immigrant coming here legal or otherwise to compete for college enrollment, and jobs as well. Health insurance was much cheaper, if not free with many employers.
Those dang old people. Can't they just die and leave us all that money.

How idiotic. You don't know what the heck you are talking about.

1940's people averaged about a thousand dollars for a salary . Half for woman. $500 dollars a year.

They got to go to college cheap? 5% of the population graduated college. 1950 5.2, 1960 6%
Today over 30%.

Yeah, they had it nice and easy.

In 1960 10 million people made under $3,000 a year. That was 22% of the population. Average salary was $4000. Min. wage was a buck.

While the cost of tuition has skyrocketed and the cost of things such as cars, houses have all risen,. they still struggled and many simply could not justify going to college. They were working their rear ends off.

They are probably the part of the last generation to actually make and produce tangible goods in this country on a massive level. They worked hard. You make it sound like they had everything handed to them.

Regardless, you little snot. It's theirs. They paid in what they were made to and now they want some of it back. What they were promised. It's theirs. Regardless if they are working or not. At 65 you will be lucky to be on this planet another 15 years for the majority. If they want to work and get their full benefits more power to them.

They earned it.

Take away their benefits, force them to stop working. Who the heck do you people think you are?

Put them out to pasture? They have out lived their usefulness. If not take away their benefits so we can have it? You guys and your "greater good" for society can stick it where the sun doesn't shine.

Old 12-07-2014, 09:37 PM

10,833 posts, read 14,927,894 times
Quote:
I get so sick of hearing about how we boomers at it so good and all the money we made.

Makes me sick and I often wonder who the heck is peddling this garbage?

Average wages and work hours, 1967–2010 (2011 dollars)

I started work in 1966 as a young man and earned $1.30... here, I'll share with you what I earned between 1966 and 1980.

1968-1969 was army (drafted, something today's younger set doesn't have to worry about) so those wages don't count.

In 1970 I worked a 40 hour week to earn my $4,759 or right about $2.35/hour and that was it.

Looks like average hourly wages was $3.39 in June. 1970 so I was far from earning average.

This might shock some but I struggled. 1971 sucked.

Adjusted for 2011 dollars the average weekly wage in 1973 was $791.40 but by 2010 this had grown to $928.18 so where the heck does someone born after 1980 get the screwed up idea we boomers had it so easy????

If you think we did, and I know this is what they preach and screech in college, you are living in a fantasy land!

Back then anything electronic cost an arm and leg.

In 1970 $1.00 adjusted for inflation was $6.12
In 1973 $1.00 adjusted for inflation was $5.35

1970 Cinema Screen Color TV
Price: $739.95 (w/remote), $639.95 (w/o remote)
Imagine paying $4,528.36 for a color television set today. Of course it came with a remote and stuff.
Damn that outsourcing!

1971 Trash Compactor
Price: $219.95
Imagine paying $1,289.47 for a trash compactor today.

1973 Crockery Cooker
Price: $17.79
How about $95.13 for a crock pot? Today you can get this 5 quart Hamilton Beach for $24.99. Damn that China outsourcing!!!

1973 Portable Tape Player
Price: $44.50
That's $237.97 today.

I suppose we could stop outsourcing to China but when we do you better get ready for the $100 crock pot and as far as televisions you better hang on tight!

Also, we baby boomers grew up without the safety net of food stamps, medicaid and subsidized housing and in the 60's and even 70's if you didn't work you didn't eat.

1974 Portable TV
Price: $264.88

Cassette Recorder
Price: $49.95

Quote:
And you're missing out less competition, much lower housing/renting cost, etc.
No, not true.

In 1967 I paid $110 for a small studio apartment that today would be equivalent to $781.96. Rent was a major part of my earnings.

In 1967 gasoline around the bay area was running $0.30 which is equivalent to $2.13 today and not that far away from the current price of gasoline outside of the east and west coast.

Last edited by nicet4; 12-07-2014 at 09:51 PM..

Old 12-07-2014, 09:38 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
I believe it is a time for mandatory retirement age at age 65 to maximum 70. Elderly people (especially those who could for sure retire comfortably) are taking over jobs that our college graduates and younger adults should be start working at. Middle-income and high-income elderly over 65 who still work are being selfish! Seriously stop working, and go out and enjoy life and start spending your money to create more businesses, and lower the unemployment rate and give a chance now to the younger generation. This applies especially to professional jobs. Retired people could volunteer, substitute, or do bunch of other things if they feel "bored"!

Certain professions do have mandatory retirement age, so this is not something alien.

You must be the employee. What about all the self employed, that do not wish to die.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies