Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 09:38 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacationmacation View Post
Elderly people (especially those who could for sure retire comfortably) are taking over jobs that our college graduates and younger adults should be start working at.

"...should be..." is the operand.

Just as soon as you learn to leave your iPad and iPhone at home while you're at work, maybe you'll get hired.

You can find 'sympathy' between 's...........

Mircea

Old 12-07-2014, 09:40 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
too much of this. what are my car and house and job doing in my hands instead of yours?
when a consumptive society runs out of resources what do they consume next?
each other.

great line from james bond movie skyfall

Raoul Silva

• [repeated line, onscreen text that appears on M's computer screen.] Think on your sins.
  • [first lines.] Hello James, welcome. Do you like the island? [chuckles.] My grandmother had an island when I was a boy. Nothing to boast of. You could walk along it in an hour. But still, it was - it was a paradise for us. One summer, we came for a visit and discovered the whole place had been infested with rats. They'd come on a fishing boat and had gorged themselves on coconut. So how do you get rats off an island, hmm? My grandmother showed me. We buried an oil drum, and hinged the lid. Then we wired coconut to the lid as bait. The rats come for the coconut, and... [imitates metallic scuttering.] They fall into the drum, and after a month, you've trapped all the rats. But what did you do then? Throw the drum into the ocean? Burn it? No. You just leave it. And they begin to get hungry, then one by one... [imitates rat munching sound.] They start eating each other, until there are only two left. The two survivors. And then what - do you kill them? No. You take them, and release them into the trees. Only now, they don't eat coconut anymore. Now they will only eat rat. You have changed their nature. The two survivors; this is what she made us.
  • [onscreen text, as his laptop breaches Q Branch's security, unlocking his holding cell.] Not such a clever boy.
  • [to his henchmen, about M] Everyone, listen to me! Don't you dare touch her! She's mine!
  • Do you see what comes of all this running around, Mr. Bond? All this jumping and fighting, it's exhausting! Relax. You need to relax... Ah well, mother's calling. I will give her a good-bye kiss for you.

Old 12-07-2014, 09:45 PM

672 posts, read 810,365 times
Quote:
I believe it is a time for mandatory retirement age at age 65 to maximum 70. Elderly people (especially those who could for sure retire comfortably) are taking over jobs that our college graduates and younger adults should be start working at. Middle-income and high-income elderly over 65 who still work are being selfish! Seriously stop working, and go out and enjoy life and start spending your money to create more businesses, and lower the unemployment rate and give a chance now to the younger generation. This applies especially to professional jobs. Retired people could volunteer, substitute, or do bunch of other things if they feel "bored"!

Certain professions do have mandatory retirement age, so this is not something alien.

And you, The vacation one. Step up your game. Sorry they can't. They are to business supporting children and grandchildren who have done nothing but earn worthless degrees and have no real world experiences. That know nothing about busting your butt and putting food on the table. They are all to busy worrying about vacation while they are getting this over priced education.

Old 12-07-2014, 09:47 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhult View Post
And you, The vacation one. Step up your game. Sorry they can't. They are to business supporting children and grandchildren who have done nothing but earn worthless degrees and have no real world experiences. That know nothing about busting your butt and putting food on the table. They are all to busy worrying about vacation while they are getting this over priced education.
There is no such thing as a worthless degree.

Old 12-07-2014, 09:50 PM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
I believe it is a time for mandatory retirement age at age 65 to maximum 70. Elderly people (especially those who could for sure retire comfortably) are taking over jobs that our college graduates and younger adults should be start working at. Middle-income and high-income elderly over 65 who still work are being selfish! Seriously stop working, and go out and enjoy life and start spending your money to create more businesses, and lower the unemployment rate and give a chance now to the younger generation. This applies especially to professional jobs. Retired people could volunteer, substitute, or do bunch of other things if they feel "bored"!

Certain professions do have mandatory retirement age, so this is not something alien.

You seem to think there are a lot of older people sitting on piles of money to use in retirement. When people are living to 85 these days, living for another 20 years after they retire at your suggested 65 means they'll need more savings...unless you're willing to have them live with you.

Old 12-07-2014, 09:51 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,040,806 times
In the long run, an early retirement age would prove an untenable burden for the younger generation. We're expected to pay their pensions, after all.

Old 12-07-2014, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommie789 View Post
Dude , Most Seniors cannot afford to retire especially with pensions being screwed up and cost of living
Well, irresponsibility and incompetence is for a whole other thread. No need to get into the mess that many seniors have gotten themselves into.

Old 12-07-2014, 09:56 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,011,224 times
Quote:

No we just need to stop electing democrats.

Old 12-07-2014, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
No we just need to stop electing democrats.
Would be a great idea... if there was anyone else better to elect more than half of the time.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:00 PM

10,832 posts, read 14,927,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
There is no such thing as a worthless degree.
From the University of Connecticut I present the Masters Degree in Puppetry! Ok, "Puppet Arts" but you get the idea.

Quote:
Professor Ballard’s first full-length puppet production, The Mikado, was presented on the stage of the Harriet S. Jorgensen theatre as one of the department’s Mainstage productions. UConn soon became one of only two (soon to be three) universities in the country offering a BFA degree in puppet arts and the only institution in the country offering masters degrees (both MA and MFA) in the field.

You betcha, think of the big bucks I could make with that degree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tairos View Post
In the long run, an early retirement age would prove an untenable burden for the younger generation. We're expected to pay their pensions, after all.
I am still working, paying taxes and while I am full retirement age I've put off collecting social security.

If I quit working by wife and I would start collecting $3,500 in social security payments tomorrow. Who would pay the taxes to gibs me my money? A Puppeteer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies