Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 06:51 PM

10,227 posts, read 6,312,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
To be fair, I do not think that was the initial intent of the law even if it was worded in a such a way as being overly broad.

The original intent was to excuse those clerks who are opposed to same-sex marriages the responsibility of issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couple. I am not saying city or county clerks should be excused from doing their sworn duties ... could you imagine a clerk in city hall denying a Jewish couple a marriage license because they believe only Christian marriages are legitimate???

This law will not stand.

It's a pathetic attempt to put a hurdle for same-sex marriage, which will be legal in every state soon.
Exactly, where does it end? Should Catholic court clerks be allowed to refuse to issue a marriage license to legally divorced couples because remarriage goes against their religion?

Old 12-08-2014, 06:52 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,503,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
To be fair, I do not think that was the initial intent of the law even if it was worded in a such a way as being overly broad.

The original intent was to excuse those clerks who are opposed to same-sex marriages the responsibility of issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couple. I am not saying city or county clerks should be excused from doing their sworn duties ... could you imagine a clerk in city hall denying a Jewish couple a marriage license because they believe only Christian marriages are legitimate???

This law will not stand.

It's a pathetic attempt to put a hurdle for same-sex marriage, which will be legal in every state soon.
This bill is similar to the federal Religious Freedom Restoration Freedom Act passed under the Clinton administration, and laws in other states. It will stand.

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stizzel View Post
Michigan House Passed Bill Allowing EMTs To Refuse Treatment To Gay People

Wow, just wow.the right goes further and further to the right every day. I wish I could say that I. Am shocked, but we are talking about the right here.
That's what happens when you force a baker to serve people he believes are sinners. You get a bill that leaves it up to the person whether to serve. Here you have right to refuse service to anyone but we have no EMTs refusing service. Force one thing then you have a reaction to it.

16,911 posts, read 10,585,453 times
Regardless of any gay or religious issues, people should either do their job or get a new one.

Old 12-08-2014, 06:55 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,967,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Regardless of any gay or religious issues, people should either do their job or get a new one.
Explain what that "job" is when it's your own business?

Or your own farm?

Or your own studio?

You should NEVER be compelled to do ANYTHING. We outlawed slavery already, becaues it's wrong. Liberals are now trying to re-institute it, making the very same argument that slave owners of centuries past used - the benefit of "society".

Old 12-08-2014, 06:55 PM

78,352 posts, read 60,547,237 times
Quote:

Wow, just wow.the right goes further and further to the right every day. I wish I could say that I. Am shocked, but we are talking about the right here.
Did you know better and lie or were you just suckered in by something you wanted to believe?

I need to know this before I ask you to invest in my unicorn ranch....

Old 12-08-2014, 07:07 PM

22,182 posts, read 19,453,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibginnie View Post
Except it's not true. I used to live there. I used to be an EMT there. I know many EMTs and Medics there still. Not a one sees it that way.
Snopes

The snopes article you linked says its a mixture, depending on the claim that is made. There isn't specific language about EMT's in there, but it certainly is a possibility.

From your own link

Quote:

FALSE: The state of Michigan has passed a bill that specifically provides emergency medical personnel with a blanket exemption from treating gay patients.

TRUE: The Michigan House of Representatives has passed a religious freedom bill that might potentially allow emergency medical personnel to exercise religious objections to treating gay patients.

Old 12-08-2014, 07:44 PM

5,338 posts, read 4,424,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
The snopes article you linked says its a mixture, depending on the claim that is made. There isn't specific language about EMT's in there, but it certainly is a possibility.

From your own link
Yes, I saw that. However, I read things and take them at their face value. I didn't write the law so I don't have any idea what the underlying intent is, IF there is one. I have no interest in being outraged about things that may or may not happen. But, it's ok. People will be outraged and expend energy on that make-believe monster hiding under the bed until either it is revealed that it is real or if it comes to life.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.

Old 12-08-2014, 07:50 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,184,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlbenator View Post
The radical Left cannot win except through lies and distortion. That's how Obama got into power. Thankfully, America is waking up.
In regards to the topic of this particular thread, no.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 12-08-2014 at 08:18 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 12-08-2014, 07:57 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,461,817 times
Quote:

"Further and further right?" Just as I would I could say I am shocked by a comment as moronic as yours, but we are talking about the left here.

For your education: conservatism is a political philosophy. It has nothing to do with sexual orientation. Banning EMTs from treating gay people is not a rightwing thing to do. It's a totalitarian thing, not a right-left thing. Homosexuality was a crime punishable by prison in the Soviet Union. Was the Soviet Union right wing?

Last edited by Ibginnie; 12-08-2014 at 08:18 PM.. Reason: rude
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies