Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 10:04 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
Miami will be underwater, but hey, at least we'll have cheap energy!
Sea levels have been rising since the end of the last ice age. Here's the current conditions. Not these graphs do not account for land movement, you'll find different rates and in some cases going down because of land movement. What is consistent is the rate. The battery in New York is very geologically stable region.

Sea Level Trends - State Selection

Quote:
Also, what are you talking about with cement prices rising because of Democrats? Is this some kind of weird right-wing thing I haven't heard of?
Cement is one the largest emitters of CO2 because it requires a lot of heat for production. You can add other products like steel and oil refinement to that list. My comment about the 40% increased costs were based on analysis of the energy bill passed by House Democrats in 2009. It was never voted on in the Senate.

You seem to be under the impression that CO2 caps will only have minor affects, it will affect the cost of everything especially energy intensive industries like cement.

Last edited by thecoalman; 12-15-2014 at 10:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Obviously you have a pretty insanely high bar for proven vs's unproven.

Meet The Climate Denial Machine | Blog | Media Matters for America

"Dark Money" Funds Climate Change Denial Effort - Scientific American

Dealing in Doubt: Greenpeace Report Exposes Fossil Fuel Funded Climate Denial Machine | DeSmogBlog

Or do you believe in some fairy godmother that would suddenly make these companies and interests NOT fund things that are in their interests?

If it was just greenpeace saying it I might agree....

The Sierra Club taking 26 million from the natural gas industry gets a pas right?

Fractured Lives - July/August 2012- Sierra Magazine - Sierra Club

Old 12-15-2014, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Whatever natural cycle that is occurring is being exacerbated by the sheer amount of greenhouse gases we've added over a very short geological period.
The sheer amount you are referring to is an increase from .03% to .04%.

Quote:
Particulate matter does cool the planet in large enough excess, we know this from the physical properties and geological data on volcanic activity as you've said.
Particulate matter here in the US has seen significant reductions in the US.....

Quote:
but the data shows our emissions being the factor that has changed most significantly.
Unless you understand the rest of the numerous variables this like like saying my house has insulation that traps heat but I don't know if my windows are open.

Old 12-15-2014, 10:53 PM

2,523 posts, read 2,202,234 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2euBvdP28c

Old 12-16-2014, 10:56 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,114,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The sheer amount you are referring to is an increase from .03% to .04%.
Injest 1ml of arsenic and watch how a miniscule amount relative to the size of you, shuts your body down. Your body requires very little aresenic for normal cellular respiration but it's a fine balance. Don't assume very small changes to complex systems will amount to little or nothing.

Quote:
Particulate matter here in the US has seen significant reductions in the US.....
It's exploded globally.

Quote:
Unless you understand the rest of the numerous variables this like like saying my house has insulation that traps heat but I don't know if my windows are open.
That's why I said according to the data.... So..... With our current understanding..... Greenhouse gas emissions have increased significantly compared to other factors..... With our current understanding.

Old 12-16-2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Injest 1ml of arsenic
ingest 1 ml of salt and see what happens...

Old 12-16-2014, 02:56 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,114,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
ingest 1 ml of salt and see what happens...
So you're conceding those points? Kay.

Old 12-16-2014, 03:19 PM

33,523 posts, read 37,121,123 times
The sun provides the heat the earth receives, but today is a minor player in heating the globe....It is the sun's heat that get trapped by greenhouse gasses that is the culprit.

Methane has 20 times more effect on the climate than CO2......A new study of the seafloor off the West Coast of the United States has revealed that these gaseous "leaks" are already escalating to a full blown jail break, with methane escaping at 500 times its average rate of natural release. Pacific Seafloor Methane is Escaping at Alarming Rates : News : Nature World News

Methane release has also increased in the Arctic and the Atlantic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies