Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 03:36 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,143,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
A question for conservatives.

The Earth and the moon are both located approximately the same distance away from the sun. The average temperature on Earth is about 61 degrees F. But the temperature on the Moon varies from -387 degrees F. at night, to 253 F. during the day.

If the sun controls the Earths temperature, why does the Earth and moon have such different temperatures?

What is the Temperature on Earth?
What is the temperature on the Moon? | Cool Cosmos
Atmosphere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 03:39 PM

2,777 posts, read 1,773,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The site did not publish the study. While their comments on the study could be biased it's irrelevant to the contents of the study.
Its bias is certainly relevant because it means that you need to be extra critical of their stories, and double check their 'facts' before jumping to conclusions.

In this case, I pointed out that the original study does NOT involve the timeframe in which AGW has occurred... you're not going to get that information from them and the story they've posted is written to deliberately mislead people.

They're counting on you not finding the original study or reading the abstract. And you obviously haven't done that, or you would know that celebrating the death of the AGW theory because of it is just making you look stupid.

Old 12-10-2014, 04:38 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,637,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Two things:
1. Do you believe the content of our atmosphere is static?
2. Do you believe our atmosphere instantly adjusts to the amount of radiation being produced by the sun via it's variations or the variations in our orbit?
I have no knowledge/understanding about "static atmosphere." And presently I don't have the time to research its meaning.

But I would ASSUME changes in the suns output, would take (some) time to change the temperature bellow the Earths atmosphere.

But the word "radiation" in your post makes me feel perhaps the changes could be almost instant..???

Chad.

Old 12-10-2014, 04:47 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,637,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Atmosphere.
I wish republicans had some respect for our "atmosphere."

Old 12-10-2014, 05:24 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,275,313 times
I wish I didn't have to share my air with them.

Old 12-10-2014, 05:33 PM

4,571 posts, read 3,507,160 times
Ah, the hatefest that is the obagger response to everything that shows them to be both ignorant and foolish continues on unabated here on c-d.

Old 12-10-2014, 06:46 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,815,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
Ah, the hatefest that is the obagger response to everything that shows them to be both ignorant and foolish continues on unabated here on c-d.
It is sad we have to breathe the same air as the tyrants.

Old 12-10-2014, 10:27 PM

24,623 posts, read 19,070,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
If the sun controls the Earths temperature, why does the Earth and moon have such different temperatures?
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Atmosphere.
We learned that in the 3rd Grade. With union teachers, I guess we shouldn't be surprised people don't understand how their own atmosphere works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spatula City View Post
Its bias is certainly relevant....
There is no bias.

Quote:
In this case, I pointed out that the original study does NOT involve the timeframe in which AGW has occurred...
The original study isn't required or obligated to include the "timeframe in which AGW has occurred."

Quote:
... you're not going to get that information from them and the story they've posted is written to deliberately mislead people.
And the IPCC doesn't cherry-pick it's date ranges to cast everything in the most favorable light for AGW?

No one was misled here. Which part of "Dome Concordia" do you not understand?

Quote:
I actually went one step further and pointed out that the ORIGINAL STUDY does NOT include the years AFTER 1895/the advent of modern industry, therefore is almost completely irrelevant when discussing AGW, which took place AFTER those years.
It doesn't have to include the years after 1895.

The Sun doesn't cease affecting temperatures just because the calendar changes to 1895.

Quote:
How is it nonsense?
Your claim that the Sun is on a mechanical on/off-timer and turns off in 1895 is nonsense.

Quote:
And now you're trying to change the subject-- seriously, what happens when an Ice Age ends? The sun triggers interglacial periods.
No, it does not.

Those who mislead, are people like you. Why don't you tell us what temperature range is 15 microns infrared?

Unbiasedly.....

Mircea

Old 12-11-2014, 06:51 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,264,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
Yes but one can't tax the sun.
Ah ha! and there is the real truth of the matter!

Old 12-11-2014, 06:56 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,264,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Meanwhile, in another thread the OP is railing about round-up herbicide poisoning the soil so that nothing will grow in it for ages and ages. Sources? Obscure eco dot-orgs and motherjones. lol

Legitimate sourcing and actual science....why not ask for a unicorn and pot of gold instead....that's more likely to come your way.
This poster consistently sinks to the level of personal attacks and the use of logical fallacies. His tactics are of low ethics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies