Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 08:19 PM

7,801 posts, read 10,078,872 times

Advertisements

Washington DC, like Puerto Rico, American Samoa, the Northern Mariana Islands, Guam, and the US Virgin Islands is subject to the Territorial Clause of the US Constitution and the Plenary Powers of Congress. It is what some would call ... a colony. Congress can do whatever they want with a territory, including overturning laws passed by the legislature.

Unfortunately Washington DC is condemned to perpetual territorial status because the US Constitution specifically states that the Federal District must be distinct from the states of the Union.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 11:40 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,308,025 times
I am all for marijuana legalization--the second you take me off the hook for paying for pothead's emphysema and brain damage. Also food stamps to support his munchies, and remedial ed because he did not pay attention in 11th grade algebra.

The second you stop insisting that I pay for the consequences of your drug use, I am for full legalization.

Old 12-10-2014, 11:43 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,063,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I am all for marijuana legalization--the second you take me off the hook for paying for pothead's emphysema and brain damage. Also food stamps to support his munchies, and remedial ed because he did not pay attention in 11th grade algebra.

The second you stop insisting that I pay for the consequences of your drug use, I am for full legalization.
I assume this means you are also against the legalization of alcohol? And probably cigarettes too?

Old 12-11-2014, 12:12 AM

1,805 posts, read 1,461,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I assume this means you are also against the legalization of alcohol? And probably cigarettes too?
You forgot to add high fructose corn syrup, fatty foods, and automobiles.

Old 12-11-2014, 01:33 AM

2,950 posts, read 1,628,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post

Don't forget that long distance running you love to do.

Much more damaging to the body than cannabis use.

If you expect me to pay for the health care you will require due to your irrational behavior of running to nowhere, than you are nothing more than a hypocrite.

Old 12-11-2014, 05:13 AM

77,013 posts, read 47,426,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
This is a huge blow to freedom. The people have spoken quite clearly and Congress just doesn't care. It will be interesting to see if Obama signs this bill. And we still have Dem supporters on this board who claim that Dems are social liberals. Strange.
----------------------------
Contrary to what National Journal reported yesterday, it looks like Senate Democrats have agreed to a spending rider that will not only prevent legal marijuana businesses from opening in Washington, D.C., but will also block legalization of possession, home cultivation, and sharing. The Washington Post reports that the rider, which applies through next September, would bar the District from implementing Initiative 71, the marijuana legalization measure that was approved by nearly 70 percent of D.C. voters last month.

Senate Democrats Surrender to Republican Pot Prohibitionists, Nullifying Legalization in D.C. - Hit & Run : Reason.com
Since it was sneaked into the trillion dollar spending bill, he will probably have to sign it. There is no sense in allowing the government to shut down over a trivial issue like pot. God knows what else they sneaked into this monster bill, because the bill is 1600 pages long, and GOP gave the Congress only 48 hours to read it, which is humanely impossible.

Old 12-11-2014, 05:18 AM

77,013 posts, read 47,426,499 times
Quote:
I'll help you with your reading comprehension. "it looks like Senate Democrats have agreed to a spending rider that will not only prevent legal marijuana businesses from opening in Washington, D.C., but will also block legalization of possession, home cultivation, and sharing."

Did you see that? "SENATE DEMOCRATS". That's your buddies who lie to YOU pretending to be for social liberty.
I don't think there is a choice. Either they agree to the bill, or the government shuts down tomorrow. GOP did not give any time for any discussion for this 1600 page monster bill. Agree to it, or the government shuts down. Classic.

Old 12-11-2014, 05:35 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,369,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Since it was sneaked into the trillion dollar spending bill, he will probably have to sign it. There is no sense in allowing the government to shut down over a trivial issue like pot. God knows what else they sneaked into this monster bill, because the bill is 1600 pages long, and GOP gave the Congress only 48 hours to read it, which is humanely impossible.
That really is insane. I'm not naive to think the Democrats don't do it either.

I recall a couple years ago, I think it was Ron Paul, who was trying to propose a law that would require Congress to have one day for every 25 pages or so of a bill that was up for a vote. This would encourage Congressmen to actually read the bills being passed, since they would actually have time to read them.

Old 12-11-2014, 05:41 AM

78,866 posts, read 46,445,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
, and GOP gave the Congress only 48 hours to read it, which is humanely impossible.

Then you vote no, on the grounds there is not enough time to review the bill.
Would you sign a contract for work to be don't on your house, without fully reviewing it and understanding every clause?

This is common sense. Something very few elected to office have.

Old 12-11-2014, 06:38 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,949,056 times
Quote:
This is a huge blow to freedom. The people have spoken quite clearly and Congress just doesn't care. It will be interesting to see if Obama signs this bill. And we still have Dem supporters on this board who claim that Dems are social liberals. Strange.
----------------------------
Contrary to what National Journal reported yesterday, it looks like Senate Democrats have agreed to a spending rider that will not only prevent legal marijuana businesses from opening in Washington, D.C., but will also block legalization of possession, home cultivation, and sharing. The Washington Post reports that the rider, which applies through next September, would bar the District from implementing Initiative 71, the marijuana legalization measure that was approved by nearly 70 percent of D.C. voters last month.

Senate Democrats Surrender to Republican Pot Prohibitionists, Nullifying Legalization in D.C. - Hit & Run : Reason.com

Wow! By going against the will of the people, what a great way for the GOP to end up on the outside looking in in 2016 and the next mid term election! Another example of the "small government" GOP? RIIIIIIIIGHT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies