Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2014, 09:40 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
A numbers crunch revealed this. The correlation between voting Democrat and Black murder rate is -0.15, a negligible correlation.
I'd assume black income, poverty rate or black-white disparity would strongly negatively correlate with black murder rate? I wonder which negatively correlates the most? As for voting democrats, among blacks I assume there's little regional variation? If there is, it's probably the difference between voting 90% and 98%...

Old 12-18-2014, 09:43 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
That doesn't surprise me. Connecticut is really a tale of two states. There is the CT of Gilmore Girls. Then there is the CT that consists of Hartford, Waterbury, New Haven, and Bridgeport. Those cities have more in common with the Rust Belt than it does with the rest of Connecticut.
I'll point out that most of Connecticut isn't that WASPy: it's among the most, if not the most Italian-American states in the country as well as a number of other White Catholic ethncities.

Old 12-18-2014, 10:11 PM

72,979 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I'll point out that most of Connecticut isn't that WASPy: it's among the most, if not the most Italian-American states in the country as well as a number of other White Catholic ethncities.
I am aware of the large Italian population there, as well as the large Irish population. New Britain has a large Polish population.

It isn't as WASPy as many would think. I can concur with that. I am saying that Connecticut is a state of extremes.

Rhode Island is the most Italian-American state in the USA though. RI is also the most Portuguese state in the USA.

Old 12-18-2014, 10:33 PM

Quote:
I'd assume black income, poverty rate or black-white disparity would strongly negatively correlate with black murder rate? I wonder which negatively correlates the most? As for voting democrats, among blacks I assume there's little regional variation? If there is, it's probably the difference between voting 90% and 98%...
It would not surprise me to see how income, poverty rate, and Black-White disparity would correlate negatively when it comes to the Black murder rate. All I have to work with at the moment is Black unemployment rate and Black-White unemployment disparity, so I will go with that for a moment.

After some more number crunching, these were the results. The stronger correlation was between Black unemployment rate and Black murder rate. That came out to 0.353. A moderate correlation.

I don't know what the regional variation is among Blacks voting Democrat. Such information I cannot find. I don't really see much of a correlation, at least in mathematical terms.

There is one thing to consider. New Hampshire, which voted Democrat, has the lowest Black unemployment rate in the nation. It also has one of the lowest White unemployment rates in this nation. New Hampshire has a Black murder rate of 0, and a Black-White unemployment gap of 1.13, the lowest in the nation.

Old 12-19-2014, 02:58 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,995,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
"I have more in common with American blacks blah, blah, blah..."

Lol...unreal.
He/she'd be hardly the first to use that bizarre standard.

Old 12-19-2014, 08:21 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I am not surprised.

With LBJ's "Great Society" many poor, uneducated blacks moved North and the "projects" were created.

Without education you will NEVER get a job.

Young girls getting pregnant and not finishing high school. Boys not finishing high school and the gangs were created.

Then we have to add drugs into the equation.

NOT a very good base for success.
FYI, "the projects" were created during the Great Depression of the 1930s and were created primarily for poor white people. Many locations also created housing communities for blacks in northern areas and southern areas and out west.

Some of the earliest developments were created from 1935-1945, way before LBJ. I have worked and provide consultant services to public housing authorities and I am a history nerd for housing. When they first started you had to be the best of the best families in order to get a spot in "the projects." It was later on, during the 50s and 60s (still before LBJ) that the guidelines were challenged and they stopped being so selective in who could and could not obtain public housing accommodation.

In regards to the OP, none of those states are surprising to me. I am black and well aware of the disparities in the majority of the states cites, except Rhode Island and Kansas as I only know of Providence and Kansas City in regards to black people in those states.

I was excited to see that the homeownership rates in many of the states with metropolitan areas of high black population were pretty high, especially Arkansas, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Illinios.

FWIW, I recently moved back to my home state of Ohio and everyone I know here who is black and thinking about moving, I advise them not to as the state is recovering very well from the economic downturn, unemployment for the black population is decreasing, and it is a very affordable state. There are also high rates of homeownership here in the black population.

Old 12-19-2014, 03:43 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
Where are the worst states for black Americans?

...ironically largely white and liberal states rank among the worst.

That is fixed, when there are black business owners and not just people looking for employment.

Old 12-19-2014, 04:00 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Also a fairly large Swedish community.
" Significant Swedish-American centers were established in Connecticut, Massachusetts, and Maine in the East"
Read more: Swedish Americans - History, Significant immigration waves, Settlement patterns

Old 12-19-2014, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
That is fixed, when there are black business owners and not just people looking for employment.
Actually, there is a rapid growth of Black-owned businesses taking place.

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/s...repreneurship/

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/rele...p/cb11-24.html

African American-Owned Firms Drive Job Creation, Outpace Growth Of Non-Minority-Owned Firms | MBDA Web Portal

Census survey shows fast growth for black-owned firms - Feb. 10, 2011

Old 01-24-2015, 04:32 PM

457 posts, read 645,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
Where are the worst states for black Americans?

...ironically largely white and liberal states rank among the worst.
Interesting thing about Connecticut being on that list is the fact that even if a minority with dark skin (read "looks Black") went to Yale, even being IN New Haven that person is more likely to be treated like New Haven "ghetto trash uneducated" than like a Yalie. Yes let's let THAT be the reason the Yale alumni "of colour" stay away....

Pennsyl-Tucky: no surprise there. I got pulled over on the Turnpike JUST for "driving while Indian" and the rat-bastard officer admitted it was JUST because of the out-of-state license plate. If I'd had my "game on" back then (a few years ago) I'd have sued him on the spot for racial profiling.

I'm surprised Nasty-Chusetts wasn't on this list.

I think this is a list of states "which you'd think SHOULD be better" but they're not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies