Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2015, 02:16 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,290,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Well, it can boil down to this. No one has asked what is best for the individual. No one really asks that question. I'm law abiding, I want to work, the question needs to be what would be best for ME.
It is all very subjective. When I lived in New Mexico, I used to travel a lot through the Northeastern corner of state, the biggest city in that region being Raton. We are talking about a very empty corner of the state where people still ranch and have been for the last 200 years.

There is a town called Folsom, New Mexico which was founded by a Black cowboy, George McJunkin, this guy is revered and very respected for all the good he did for the area. I wonder how he would have done if he had limited himself to the boundaries of a big city ethnic ghetto.

New Mexico is probably one of the last states I would think a Black person would think about moving to, but once again, it has nothing to do with race or place, it all about who you are, what you do and how you carry yourself.

Old 02-25-2015, 02:23 PM

2,142 posts, read 1,894,337 times
Quote:
Murderapolis? Maybe in the 1990s. However, today, Minnesota has one of the lowest Black murder rates in the nation. It had one of the highest, but it has been dropping. Minneapolis' murder rate has also been dropping as of the late 2000s. I live in the Atlanta area. While murder has been on the decline over the last 10 years, it is still more violent than Minneapolis or St. Paul.

Yes, there are some issues among members of the Black population in Minnesota. I never said that wasn't the case. However, this is what I am gathering from this post: Anger and resentment towards Blacks as a whole. I'm also noticing no mention of the Blacks who are actually trying to move up economically and seeking to do better.

I brought up that article from MPR because I wanted to show you the issues aren't as simple as everyone makes it out to be.
Yes I do have some anger and resentment, but not towards blacks as a whole, of course not, just towards the gang bangers that I have personally seen destroy communities that used to be safe, and towards the policies that I believe encourage poor and ignorant women in marginalized communities to churn out children like baby-machines into fatherless households, then expect the public education system to raise them. This is by no means a black issue, it happens in all communities, but it is just worse in our black community for whatever reason (perhaps from the left targeting them with their toxic social policies; pushing the programs on them like crack , perhaps from the glorification of the ghetto lifestyle in the media; who knows).

It is personal to me because it is like watching a horrific train wreck, such potential being squandered on so many children, such potentially amazing neighborhoods turned into little slums from violence and poverty. I feel I know what will fix these issues so naturally i am filled with frustration when I consider how politically impossible it would be to implement. When I was living in Minneapolis my vote was essentially meaningless, swallowed by the liberalism run-amok.

Old 02-25-2015, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
I live in Minnesota and while Somalians are struggling academically and economically, so are many African Americans both academically, economically, but also with criminality. They don't call it murderapolis for nothing. Youth gangs are out of control here, ruining school districts as they spread to even more inner and middle ring suburbs. The achievement gap is one of the highest in the country thanks to our liberal welfare policies, encouraging poor women to have as many children as possible with the ridiculously generous programs (Minnesota child care is the most expensive in the country thanks to this).
The North Side of Minneapolis is a disaster. It tends to attract mostly Blacks who are uneducated, poor and "ghetto-minded". Most educated and successful Blacks I have met while living in Minneapolis would NEVER live in the North Side because they simply would not share the same values with your stereotypical North Sider.

You have to understand that Blacks were discriminated and denied housing in the past, so there are reasons while they feel more comfortable living amongst their own kind.

Also, I read a very interesting explanation why Blacks settle mostly in densely populated, near Downtown areas, I don't remember what it was now but history explain a lot of these behaviors.

Old 02-25-2015, 02:45 PM

72,829 posts, read 62,191,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
Yes I do have some anger and resentment, but not towards blacks as a whole, of course not, just towards the gang bangers that I have personally seen destroy communities that used to be safe, and towards the policies that I believe encourage poor and ignorant women in marginalized communities to churn out children like baby-machines into fatherless households, then expect the public education system to raise them. This is by no means a black issue, it happens in all communities, but it is just worse in our black community for whatever reason (perhaps from the left targeting them with their toxic social policies; pushing the programs on them like crack , perhaps from the glorification of the ghetto lifestyle in the media; who knows).

It is personal to me because it is like watching a horrific train wreck, such potential being squandered on so many children, such potentially amazing neighborhoods turned into little slums from violence and poverty. I feel I know what will fix these issues so naturally i am filled with frustration when I consider how politically impossible it would be to implement. When I was living in Minneapolis my vote was essentially meaningless, swallowed by the liberalism run-amok.
Well, it would be hard for me to tell. Usually, when I've heard things like that, it is usually from those who despise Blacks. And maybe coming from someone who has family in the Twin Cities, I get upset. I have an aunt who left Louisiana for the Twin Cities in the late 60s/early 70s. She went to school, didn't end up on welfare, none of her children ended up in gangs.

And I'm also looking at Minneapolis compared to Atlanta, a more violent city. Minneapolis is no Disneyland, and even my father has told me I could get shot in Minneapolis. However, looking at the statistics, Atlanta is a more violent city, and much less safe. It has gotten better(as has Minneapolis) over the last 5 years. However, those problems, such as violence and "baby-machines" exist in Atlanta WITHOUT the generous welfare benefits. This can be found in most major cities.

And I hate that this is being made a political issue. Minnesota, and Minneapolis has historically been more liberal compared to other places. Having a relatively generous safety net never caused problems, until those who made it careers to live off of the system came. And Nebraska, which is a conservative state ranked #1 in the nation for Black murder rates in 2013. Oklahoma and Kansas made the top 10 list as well. Cities in these conservative states have had issues with crimes committed by Blacks. I don't think it is really liberal policies that are the issues. If it was, it would be more Whites doing those things as well.

Old 02-25-2015, 02:49 PM

Quote:
And Nebraska, which is a conservative state ranked #1 in the nation for Black murder rates in 2013. Oklahoma and Kansas made the top 10 list as well. Cities in these conservative states have had issues with crimes committed by Blacks. I don't think it is really liberal policies that are the issues. If it was, it would be more Whites doing those things as well.
I don't understand this at all. Nebraska is a very nice, clean state overall. Perhaps a bit boring but Omaha is a very nice city. Never thought of Nebraskans as racist people, quite the contrary, the culture and the demographics are very similar to Iowa. Nebraska and Iowa could be twin states for all I care.

Old 02-25-2015, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
The North Side of Minneapolis is a disaster. It tends to attract mostly Blacks who are uneducated, poor and "ghetto-minded". Most educated and successful Blacks I have met while living in Minneapolis would NEVER live in the North Side because they simply would not share the same values with your stereotypical North Sider.

You have to understand that Blacks were discriminated and denied housing in the past, so there are reasons while they feel more comfortable living amongst their own kind.

Also, I read a very interesting explanation why Blacks settle mostly in densely populated, near Downtown areas, I don't remember what it was now but history explain a lot of these behaviors.
I'm Black and educated, and I would never live in that part of Minneapolis. I would never live in Milwaukee's North Side either. My father was born and raised in Milwaukee's North Side, and he left, never to live there again.

It is true that in the past, Blacks live where they could get housing. They lived wherever someone said "yes, you can rent here or buy a house here". It worked that way with my father's neighborhood. He lived there and while it was one of the rougher parts of the city, there were some middle class Black families there. Once housing discrimination ended, Blacks who made it into the middle class left, and those who made it into the middle class and were thinking about living there decided not to live there. Basically, what happens is that the educated and middle class Blacks leave, and many of the poor and "ghetto minded" stay. Few people have ever explored that dynamic.

Old 02-25-2015, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I don't understand this at all. Nebraska is a very nice, clean state overall. Perhaps a bit boring but Omaha is a very nice city. Never thought of Nebraskans as racist people, quite the contrary, the culture and the demographics are very similar to Iowa. Nebraska and Iowa could be twin states for all I care.
It would be a good idea to read about the history of both Nebraska and Iowa.

As a side note, Malcolm X was born in Omaha.

My whole point about Nebraska, and of Omaha, is to look at the places individually, and look at what is taking place there. A few years ago, there was an article about how Omaha had the highest Black child poverty rate among major U.S. cities.

Old 02-25-2015, 03:01 PM

Quote:
It would be a good idea to read about the history of both Nebraska and Iowa.

As a side note, Malcolm X was born in Omaha.

My whole point about Nebraska, and of Omaha, is to look at the places individually, and look at what is taking place there. A few years ago, there was an article about how Omaha had the highest Black child poverty rate among major U.S. cities.
In fact, here is some more information.

African Americans in Omaha, Nebraska - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Omaha, Nebraska: The Most Dangerous Place In America To Be Black
http://www.hws-ne.org/Post/sections/...%209.21.12.pdf

And one of my posts: http://www.city-data.com/forum/37598696-post13.html

Old 02-25-2015, 03:28 PM

I agree the majority of people in a crime ridden community are good people, but even 10% bad can overwhelm law enforcement and cause a hell of a lot of damage, especially when the good ones are not actively partnering with law enforcement and have a 'snitches get stitches' mindset.

Old 02-25-2015, 03:33 PM

Quote:
I'm Black and educated, and I would never live in that part of Minneapolis. I would never live in Milwaukee's North Side either. My father was born and raised in Milwaukee's North Side, and he left, never to live there again.

It is true that in the past, Blacks live where they could get housing. They lived wherever someone said "yes, you can rent here or buy a house here". It worked that way with my father's neighborhood. He lived there and while it was one of the rougher parts of the city, there were some middle class Black families there. Once housing discrimination ended, Blacks who made it into the middle class left, and those who made it into the middle class and were thinking about living there decided not to live there. Basically, what happens is that the educated and middle class Blacks leave, and many of the poor and "ghetto minded" stay. Few people have ever explored that dynamic.
But even in the worst areas like north Minneapolis there are pockets of decent neighborhoods, if I was single I might live there, you could buy a 3 story 19th century mansion for the cost of a bungalow elsewhere. Use the saving for a good security system and a few german shepards. I know people 'slumming it' like that and their blocks are oases of like minded and educated folks. The problem is they can get overrun, and it is a real tragedy when they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies