Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 12:45 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Thanks for that link. I've heard of Lincoln Hills, in fact there is an exhibit about it at the Denver History Museum.

Minnesota-who knows. See Mason's post.
For Minnesota, about 40% of the black population are African immigrants and their children, mostly impoverished. So that might drag down the numbers

Quote:
I don't know how the income levels work out for blacks in Colorado. There is a bona-fide "ghetto" in Denver, although it's becoming gentrified.
The Denver metro's median black income is maybe about average for a big metro area, which is low. Median income $37,400

http://iamempowered.com/sites/all/th...-SinglePgs.pdf

State average is slightly higher, $40,300 which is above the US average ($35,400). Again why does New Jersey make the list of worst states for blacks? Its median black income is relatively high ($46,800). Other Maryland, the only states higher are ones with tiny black populations, such as northern New England states, Hawaii and Alaska. I can't link to the source since from the census factfinder.

While black income in New England is above the national average, hispanic income isn't. Rhode Island has the lowest hispanic income in the United States and Massachusetts isn't far behind (in both states, hispanics are poorer than blacks with a large gap). Nearby Springfield, MA has the lowest hispanic income of any metro in the country (from the above link of those listed — small metros and those without much hispanics are excluded) Like Minnesota, you could say we're another liberal region that doesn't "walk the walk". But it don't think that has much to do with it, nor any hostility to hispanics. It's more just the demographics of the hispanic population and historical reasons.

Old 12-11-2014, 12:49 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,744,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I haven't ran into that many Minnesotans who think like that. Who knows.

I found an article by Black Enterprises. Colorado came up among the top states for Black Household Wealth.

The 10 Best States With Top Black Household Incomes
Really? Minnesota is one of the most Liberal/Democrat states in the Union & the people I grew up with/live around, almost across the board look down on the South as the heart of racism & consider Minnesota sort of a mecca on enlightenment.

Old 12-11-2014, 12:50 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:
Maybe alot of good places aren't that cheap.
Thats untrue and a little bit of a distraction from what im saying.

if you make 100,000 a year and cost of living is equal to 98,000 a year then you would actually be better off living somewhere that you make 70,000 a year and cost of living is 48,000 a year.

There are many factors that go into a real assessment of cost of living like property taxes, insurance cost, gas prices, home building/zoning cost and much more.

Old 12-11-2014, 12:51 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
Really? Minnesota is one of the most Liberal/Democrat states in the Union & the people I grew up with/live around, almost across the board look down on the South as the heart of racism & consider Minnesota sort of a mecca on enlightenment.
Do they? If it's like Massachusetts they just don't think about the south.

Old 12-11-2014, 12:54 PM

72,977 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
I live in Georgia and I've met a few Minnesotans. The ones I've been around are proud of their state. Some don't like the way some things are done in the South. However, I've never heard one of them say "Minnesota is the best place in the world". I've heard them say they like their state, but never "it's the best place in the world". At least the ones I've met while living in Georgia.

Old 12-11-2014, 01:00 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,744,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
For Minnesota, about 40% of the black population are African immigrants and their children, mostly impoverished. So that might drag down the numbers

The Denver metro's median black income is maybe about average for a big metro area, which is low. Median income $37,400

http://iamempowered.com/sites/all/th...-SinglePgs.pdf

State average is slightly higher, $40,300 which is above the US average ($35,400). Again why does New Jersey make the list of worst states for blacks? Its median black income is relatively high ($46,800). Other Maryland, the only states higher are ones with tiny black populations, such as northern New England states, Hawaii and Alaska. I can't link to the source since from the census factfinder.

While black income in New England is above the national average, hispanic income isn't. Rhode Island has the lowest hispanic income in the United States and Massachusetts isn't far behind (in both states, hispanics are poorer than blacks with a large gap). Nearby Springfield, MA has the lowest hispanic income of any metro in the country (from the above link of those listed — small metros and those without much hispanics are excluded) Like Minnesota, you could say we're another liberal region that doesn't "walk the walk". But it don't think that has much to do with it, nor any hostility to hispanics. It's more just the demographics of the hispanic population and historical reasons.
On the contrary, my experience is that the Africans are probably bringing the numbers up, not down. The Africans bring that immigrant mentality with them & really seem to value education (although they struggle with English second language), have very strong family structures, have very little drug/alcohol addiction (they're Muslims) & they all seem to have at least one job.

They do everything possible to distance themselves from the US Blacks here & clearly think of themselves as better than the US Blacks. There is much resentment from the US Blacks towards them as well for sort of leap-frogging them on the social ladder in only 10 years. There have been SEVERAL mass fights in the public schools where the Africans claim the US Blacks are attacking them (same with the SE Asians claiming the US Blacks are attacking them as well).

One reporters a few years back was there to witness one of the fights & while a few idiots don't speak for everyone, I'll never forget the reporter saying that after beating up some African kids the US Blacks were taunting them as they left screaming "You ain't Black, go the F back to Africa!"

Old 12-11-2014, 01:06 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
I live in Georgia and I've met a few Minnesotans. The ones I've been around are proud of their state. Some don't like the way some things are done in the South. However, I've never heard one of them say "Minnesota is the best place in the world". I've heard them say they like their state, but never "it's the best place in the world". At least the ones I've met while living in Georgia.
You don't know the ones I do!

Old 12-11-2014, 02:15 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,700,705 times
Quote:
it makes me think about this. I know there are many poor blacks that have gone to the twin cities(and other places in minnesota, as well as iowa). I also know that there has also been a trickle of middle class blacks that have gone there. However, i have to wonder why there aren't more middle class blacks moving to the twin cities. Let's really look at it. Minnesota has a very good education system, alot better than many places, certainly better than most places in the south. Last time i checked, north carolina and georgia have among the highest unemployment rates in the nation. Minnesota has a decent economy. I'm thinking that if anything, a good education system, a low crime rate, and a decent economy would be very good reasons for middle class blacks to go to minnesota. However, there aren't that many middle class blacks going to the twin cities in comparison to atlanta and charlotte.
because it is tooooooo coooolllldddddd!!!

Old 12-11-2014, 02:34 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,700,705 times
Quote:
On the contrary, my experience is that the Africans are probably bringing the numbers up, not down. The Africans bring that immigrant mentality with them & really seem to value education (although they struggle with English second language), have very strong family structures, have very little drug/alcohol addiction (they're Muslims) & they all seem to have at least one job.

They do everything possible to distance themselves from the US Blacks here & clearly think of themselves as better than the US Blacks. There is much resentment from the US Blacks towards them as well for sort of leap-frogging them on the social ladder in only 10 years. There have been SEVERAL mass fights in the public schools where the Africans claim the US Blacks are attacking them (same with the SE Asians claiming the US Blacks are attacking them as well).

One reporters a few years back was there to witness one of the fights & while a few idiots don't speak for everyone, I'll never forget the reporter saying that after beating up some African kids the US Blacks were taunting them as they left screaming "You ain't Black, go the F back to Africa!"
I think the dislike between African and African Americas is a self fulfilling prophecy. African are told that blacks do not like them and blacks are told that Africans do not like them. Thus, when they meet there are tension...but what you do not hear about are many of the close relationships between African and African Americans.

There are many Somalian gangs in Minneapolis and a lot of crime as well. They are not doing as well as people make them out to be doing, from what I see when I visit, which is often. I say the Nigerians are probably doing the best of the Africans and Somalians the worst. Somalians and Liberians are mostly there are refugees while other Africans came there for education. Here is another thing.....many of the Africans go back to Africa eventually because America was not the land of milk and honey like they thought.

Old 12-11-2014, 02:40 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times
Quote:
Hawaii was mentioned as having the nation's lowest Black incarceration rate and having a very high Black household income.

Also, read this link: The 10 Best States With Top Black Household Incomes

Black Enterprise also confirms this about Hawaii.
The only two that really surprised me were CO--and especially--NM.

I would not have expected any southwestern or western state to have the highest black income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies