Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 09:40 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,405,334 times

Advertisements

The word holiday comes from the Old English word hāligdæg (hālig "holy" + dæg "day").

So why the fuss and cries that it's a "War on Christmas!!!!"?

Old 12-11-2014, 09:59 PM

527 posts, read 706,054 times
Because due to political correctness despite Christmas being a national holiday celebrated by 96% of Americans according to polls; the term 'Christmas' is being avoided in many ways in North America, but not 100% completely though.

Holiday tree, Holiday market, Holiday gifts, Holiday party, Holiday music, Holiday this and Holiday that when people know it stands for Christmas. Funny thing is that in the UK, Australia, New Zealand and other English speaking countries it's always Christmas, and never holidays. Try call the Menorah for "Holiday candlelight or candlebra" and you will see the reaction! Other holidays they are always mentioned by their names. In bigger cities it's usually 'Tree lightning'... Common if you but Christmas tree lightning how many people will get heartattack and die from it?!

How often do you hear nowadays "Merry Christmas" by the general public? Ask the question yourself, why not wish "Merry Christmas" instead of "Happy Holidays" especially few days before Christmas?

Old 12-11-2014, 10:11 PM

18,049 posts, read 25,106,219 times
It's all created by the media
nobody is stopping anybody from saying "Merry Christmas"

Old 12-11-2014, 10:22 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,827,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
And by "media" you mean Fox News, who whips the fundamentalist Christians into a ridiculous frenzy every year because some people don't use the right magic words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacationmacation
How often do you hear nowadays "Merry Christmas" by the general public? Ask the question yourself, why not wish "Merry Christmas" instead of "Happy Holidays" especially few days before Christmas?
Ask the question, why do you care so much? Is your holiday less merry if I wish you Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas? If so, then you have problems that a few different words aren't going to solve.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:25 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,733,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Really? Since you've missed the many reports, Google is your friend.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:26 PM

527 posts, read 706,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Ask the question, why do you care so much? Is your holiday less merry if I wish you Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas? If so, then you have problems that a few different words aren't going to solve.
I care because Christmas is the only holiday being targeted, and minorities/pc people are trying to oppress the majority of the population, and the Christian religion.

I would be fine with Happy Holidays if we wished that in every holiday, including on Thanksgiving. Deal?

But it's not only about greetings; it's the avoidance of the term completely. Holiday tree - really?!

Old 12-11-2014, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacationmacation View Post
I care because Christmas is the only holiday being targeted, and minorities/pc people are trying to oppress the majority of the population, and the Christian religion.

I would be fine with Happy Holidays if we wished that in every holiday, including on Thanksgiving. Deal?
Christmas has become a secular consumer holiday for most Americans. Spend an evening watching television and you will not see a single reference to religion in the barrage of Christmas ads to buy, buy, buy.

So how about this--everyone is free to say whatever they want. And I will enjoy my secular holiday and you will enjoy your religious one. Everybody wins.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:48 PM

23,653 posts, read 17,433,371 times
Default Because we all know history repests itself---

Rev. Graham: Christians 'Are Being Butchered' in Middle East

http://insider.foxnews.com/2014/12/1...king-christmas

Old 12-11-2014, 10:56 PM

Wow, Christians are being butchered in the Middle East for saying Merry Christmas? Because if not, I don't know why you felt the need to post that in this thread.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:57 PM

15,082 posts, read 14,264,361 times
Your second link illustrated Hey Jude's point perfectly. Nicely done!

Quote:
And by "media" you mean Fox News, who whips the fundamentalist Christians into a
ridiculous frenzy every year because some people don't use the right magic
words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies