Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 02:15 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
They are mandated to use E-Verify.....

Easier work, working for Merry Maids. Where you can be illegal and find work as a subcontractor.(Misclassified employee, but they get the work)
What? Who said anything about illegals? I have no idea what you are talking about because this post has nothing to do with my comment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2014, 02:23 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,539,703 times
With more immigrants, labor's leverage over working conditions will continue to decline.

Old 12-12-2014, 03:31 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,551,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
The sympathy the right feels for the help is new, though.
Those are crocodile tears you're seeing. Cons like to spin it any which way they can that fits their misguided agenda. Feeling sorry for housekeepers? Hahahahaha, it is to laugh.

Old 12-12-2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
With more immigrants, labor's leverage over working conditions will continue to decline.
More immigrants are the reason why hotel employers are having their housekeeping staff clean more rooms with less staffing?

Old 12-12-2014, 04:36 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Those are crocodile tears you're seeing. Cons like to spin it any which way they can that fits their misguided agenda. Feeling sorry for housekeepers? Hahahahaha, it is to laugh.

There were no tears, period, so your powers of reading minds over the internet are malfunctioning today. Did any of you libs read even one of the 3 links that I posted? Ask the next millennial you meet what is going on with the low-skill labor markets. Or look at a U6 unemployment graph. It has come down a little but is still way over normal US levels. Or better yet ask a teenager about their experience in looking for a summer job.

Europe has always had higher unemployment than the US, at least in my lifetime. Now we are turning into the 'United States of Europe' (IIRC that's how Romney put it). We adopt Europe's high-tax/high-spend, high-regulation policies, and lo and behold we're getting Europe's economy. We're a changed country. As a kid in the 70's I didn't know anybody who didn't get a summer job during high school and college. Today's kids don't know anyone who did.

Old 12-12-2014, 04:56 PM

1,204 posts, read 872,320 times
Hotels have been cutting back on fresh towels and changing linens for years. A hotel I worked in in the 80's had a number of apartments frequently rented for multiple weeks and months by a business or business travelor. We gave them the option of daily or reduced service.

My hotel stays in the last decade plus have all had some sort of reduced service levels. Mostly I have found that if you want your linens etc. changed every day you have to tell them. Otherwise, it is done on a reduce schedule based on how long you are staying.

Nothing to do with Obama. Can conceivably be partially for environmental reasons. But it definitely is a cost saver.

Yep---tip the housekeeper they do deserve it.

Last edited by JIMANDTHOM; 12-12-2014 at 04:57 PM.. Reason: add the last.

Old 12-12-2014, 05:28 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMANDTHOM View Post
Nothing to do with Obama. Can conceivably be partially for environmental reasons. But it definitely is a cost saver.

Yep---tip the housekeeper they do deserve it.

It does in that in times past, if the employer went overboard in demands, the employee would walk down the street and get a new employer. In this economy that is no longer practical. I never worked at a hotel, but once had a summer job working as a janitor cleaning offices at an insurance company. They worked at a brisk but not punishing pace. I don't remember any of the women saying that they lay awake at night with pain due to overtaxing their bodies at work.

Quote:
"With the green program everything fell apart, especially our bodies," said Rosa Cruz, who's worked at the Sheraton for 17 years.
We do agree on the tip angle though. I like to think that I create a big smile when the housekeeper finds my tip and I am already miles away on the interstate.

Old 12-12-2014, 05:52 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,744,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Is the OP aware that many hotel companies have been cutting back the staffing in housekeeping, and making housekeepers clean more rooms than they use to in the past. That is much more of an issue than someone not wanting their room cleaned during their stay.
Link? I work closely with Hotels & Management almost always pays a low hourly wage, plus by the room (the bulk of their pay) & they keep any tips. The Housekeeping Managers I know are constantly bombarded by the maids asking for more rooms, not less. It's tough work, but it's one the hardest departments in the hotels to get a job at if you don't know someone, because the maids do so well that they refer their relatives/friends anytime a job is coming open.

Old 12-12-2014, 06:18 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Is the OP aware that many hotel companies have been cutting back the staffing in housekeeping, and making housekeepers clean more rooms than they use to in the past. That is much more of an issue than someone not wanting their room cleaned during their stay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
They are mandated to use E-Verify.....

Easier work, working for Merry Maids. Where you can be illegal and find work as a subcontractor.(Misclassified employee, but they get the work)
Quote:
What? Who said anything about illegals? I have no idea what you are talking about because this post has nothing to do with my comment.

Cause & effect.

Every action, has a reaction.
It is well known, that the illegals took over housekeeping, in the lodging / hospitality industry.

Old 12-12-2014, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
Link? I work closely with Hotels & Management almost always pays a low hourly wage, plus by the room (the bulk of their pay) & they keep any tips. The Housekeeping Managers I know are constantly bombarded by the maids asking for more rooms, not less. It's tough work, but it's one the hardest departments in the hotels to get a job at if you don't know someone, because the maids do so well that they refer their relatives/friends anytime a job is coming open.
Not sure what you want me to link, I can only go off my 10+ years within the hotel industry. I have seen hotels I have worked for and other hotels cut back on housekeeping staffing which increases the amount of rooms housekeepers need to clean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies