Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 04:37 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Wow, capitalistic business owners try to cut costs and it's Obama and the rich liberals' fault.
Hotel cleaning staff have been low paid and overworked long before 2008.
actually 'starwood' hotels (ie ALOFT) are a LIBERAL company
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 05:08 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I can only make an assessment based on what is written in this thread. Based on this thread, the OP has clearly never owned a business or had any serious responsibility in one. As a result, the OP has made a horrible judgement here. This is a very simple business process problem to solve. Almost textbook.
You made your assessment based on your presumed psychic powers as to what I have or have not done. I can only tell you that your psychic powers are misfiring right now.

Old 12-15-2014, 05:16 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
You made your assessment based on your presumed psychic powers as to what I have or have not done. I can only tell you that your psychic powers are misfiring right now.
That's irrelevant. What you have done, without a shadow of a doubt, is blame the President for something that happened before he even took office and there for before any of his policies were implemented.

You wold blame Liberals for anything and President Obama for anything.

Old 12-15-2014, 05:39 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Perhaps... what's clear is that you have learned anything from your experiences if you've had them.. which is more of the point.

Old 12-15-2014, 06:02 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So you are saying that hotels have less housekeepers because there isn't anyone who wants to do that job?

No, that is what you said.

I will agree that illegals have made the wages go backwards and then stagnate.
You tell me, if an American will work that long and hard, for less than minimum wage?

Old 12-15-2014, 06:06 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Hotel owners don't care about the employees, they care about the profit margins and a decade ago was an active economy with more people traveling and spending more money to stay at hotels.

Illegals make for higher margins, when they will work for ½ of what an american will do it for.

Old 12-15-2014, 06:19 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Housekeepers say "green" program eliminates jobs - Chicago Tribune

A program touted as a way to help the environment by reducing both energy and water use, is breaking the backs of hotel housekeepers. The program allows hotel guests to opt out of maid service for up to three days. In return for opting out, guest receive a vouchers for free stuff, or travel points.

It's a win-win-win for the hotel, which saves costs, the guests, who get free stuff, and rich white liberals, get a warm and fuzzy enviro feeling. The problem is that it's all effectively paid for by the housekeepers, who are expected to clean much messier rooms at the same pace as they did when rooms were being cleaned every day. They end up having to work through breaks, or risk getting 'written up' for not meeting work standards.

I'm not going to say this is Obama's fault, but just note that we've seen one after another news story like this, in this era of Obamanomics. With the low-skill labor market being what it is, workers have no leverage, and employers are taking advantage.

And if you stay at a hotel this holiday season, be sure to leave a nice tip for your housekeeper. I guarantee she has earned it.
Open your own hotel and do what you want.

Old 12-15-2014, 01:17 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
another liberal LIE. hotel owners do care about their employees, but they also care about their profit margins. and as i have said before, hotel profit margins are very very small, thus the reason hotels run on skeleton crews. hotel rooms are not like steaks, where if you dont sell the room one night you can save it till the next day and sell it. if a room doesnt sell you lose the revenue from that room forever. it never comes back the next day.

hotels are generally the hardest hit in a poor economy, so they do what they have to do to stay in business. how much fun would it be for these employees that are working a little harder ow and still have a job as compared to the hotel going out of business and them losing their jobs?

businesses are not run to provide jobs for people, they are run to make money. some businesses do need employees to operate properly though. but if these employees are so badly treated, why dont they band together and buy the property and run it themselves?
True, I should have said hotel owners care more about profit margins than employees. I am sure some hotel owners care a little bit about their employees.

I have know General Managers to cut back on staffing just to make their profit margin look like it was growing during times when the economy wasn't doing as good. When this happens, the quality of that hotel often times begins to suffer.

This isn't some liberalism I am telling you, this is a decade worth of experience in the hotel industry.

Old 12-15-2014, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
No, that is what you said.

I will agree that illegals have made the wages go backwards and then stagnate.
You tell me, if an American will work that long and hard, for less than minimum wage?
When did I say hotels can't fill housekeeping positions because people don't want to work those jobs?

Old 12-15-2014, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Illegals make for higher margins, when they will work for ½ of what an american will do it for.
The hotels I have worked for didn't have illegals working in them due to being an extremely risky practice for the hotel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies