Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 12:42 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,094,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Homicide means someone died from an intentional act.
Murder means you planned it out and carried it out.
No. Homicide is the killing of one human by another. An intentional act is not required. Homicides can be intentional, reckless, negligent, justified, or accidental.

Old 12-12-2014, 12:45 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I wouldn't say they are "totally different." Murder is a type of homicide.
ok, tech you are right, but I think you know what I meant. The horrible thing about this whole event was, it should never have happened. Of course that can be said abotu many of these cases, but this one seems exceptional sad. This doesn't mean the cops were wrong, as I have said, I wasn't there and I do always believe everything I see on video cameras but regardless a young man lost his life needlessly.

Old 12-12-2014, 12:46 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,677,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The NYC coroner found Eric Garner was murdered.

Eric Garner's Death Ruled A Homicide By NYC Medical Examiner: Gothamist

Didn't do his parents and kids any good....
No he found that Garner was the victim of a homicide.

Old 12-12-2014, 12:46 PM

14,479 posts, read 11,272,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Come on now. I find that very hard to believe. I'd classify that act as cowardly.

The boy was shot within 2 seconds after the officer left his vehicle.

Thanks posters for the clarification on the other part. Saw this on lunch break and wanted to pass on the info.
The cruiser pulled up to him, which was a mistake in my mind, it doesn't leave the officer in the passenger seat enough time or distance to be able to protect himself or seek cover. The cop probably realized this, drew his automatic and fired after seeing the weapon in the kid's hand. Btw the kid was walking around terrorizing everyone in the immediate area.

Old 12-12-2014, 12:51 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,677,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
The cruiser pulled up to him, which was a mistake in my mind, it doesn't leave the officer in the passenger seat enough time or distance to be able to protect himself or seek cover. The cop probably realized this, drew his automatic and fired after seeing the weapon in the kid's hand. Btw the kid was walking around terrorizing everyone in the immediate area.
No it was absolutely the right thing to do as it creates a shield and effectively cuts off an route of escape if the suspect decides to flee.

Current wisdom based on evidence is that you immediately engauge a potential/active shooters.

Last edited by Bulldogdad; 12-12-2014 at 01:19 PM..

Old 12-12-2014, 01:14 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
In which first world country do you run a higher risk of being killed by law enforcement?
and let me say, the reason some do not stand the same chance could be because they know they would be even more likely to get killed if they break the law? Think about it that way. Tell me if I steal as much as a piece of candy I could get my hand cut off, do you think I am going to steal anything? Tell me, if you steal something valued at less than $300 and you are found guilty it is just a misdomeaner? Do you think, I might take a chance or stealing that cheap whatever?

Old 12-12-2014, 01:19 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,960,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and let me say, the reason some do not stand the same chance could be because they know they would be even more likely to get killed if they break the law? Think about it that way. Tell me if I steal as much as a piece of candy I could get my hand cut off, do you think I am going to steal anything? Tell me, if you steal something valued at less than $300 and you are found guilty it is just a misdomeaner? Do you think, I might take a chance or stealing that cheap whatever?
What first world countries are you talking about?

Old 12-12-2014, 01:35 PM

17,354 posts, read 14,606,875 times
All these people in this thread, with a world of knowledge at their fingertips and some still have a problem with the homicide classification.

All murders are homicides.

But not all homicides are murders.

Haven't we gone over this 50,000 times in the Eric Garner thread?

Old 12-12-2014, 01:35 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,119,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Why would you drive so close to an armed, and perceived dangerous threat?

And the kid wasn't terrorizing everyone in the area. Watch the extended video. He was sitting at the gazebo when the officers had arrived. He was strolling along, staring at the grass, doing what kids do. He looked about as non-threatening as they come.

Old 12-12-2014, 01:54 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,966,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
The 12 year old boy's death who was shot in Cleveland by Police was ruled a homicide.

Tamir Rice shooting is ruled a homicide - CNN.com

The death of Tamir Rice, a 12-year-old boy who was shot last month by a Cleveland police officer who authorities say mistook the child's air gun for a real firearm, has been ruled a homicide, the Cuyahoga County Medical Examiner's Office said Friday.
Do you even know the definition of homicide? It means the death of a human at the hand of another human. And can include accidental death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.