Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 11:57 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Would I want to simply get along with a society that decided I should be stopped and frisked simply because of my skin color? No, I wouldn't.

That is what is happening in NYC.
Not it's not.

Police in high crime areas stop and frisk people on the street as a matter of pre-emptive policing. Those areas are mostly if not all minority. The most violent areas are African American.

The NYPD has never said "go stop young black men on the street in every neighborhood in NY".

If you had stop and frisk in the bad neighborhoods of Chicago, I wonder how many lives would have been saved. Yes, feelings might have been hurt. Which is worse?

The principal of the young black kid who was just killed in Chicago called for "Martial law" to protect young men in these out of control neighborhoods. Who do you think that would most effect?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 01:04 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Not it's not.

Police in high crime areas stop and frisk people on the street as a matter of pre-emptive policing. Those areas are mostly if not all minority. The most violent areas are African American.
Odd. You argue it isn't happening and then argue it is happening.

Quote:
The NYPD has never said "go stop young black men on the street in every neighborhood in NY".

If you had stop and frisk in the bad neighborhoods of Chicago, I wonder how many lives would have been saved. Yes, feelings might have been hurt. Which is worse?
Violating peoples Constitutional rights are clearly worse.

Quote:
The principal of the young black kid who was just killed in Chicago called for "Martial law" to protect young men in these out of control neighborhoods. Who do you think that would most effect?
Constitutional rights for you but not for others. As I said. I would be mad also.

Old 12-15-2014, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Odd. You argue it isn't happening and then argue it is happening.

Violating peoples Constitutional rights are clearly worse.

Constitutional rights for you but not for others. As I said. I would be mad also.

No, you just either can't handle a fairly simple distinction, or don't want to because it doesn't go along with your agenda.

Stop and frisk targets high crime areas. High crime areas are largely black and latino. Stop and frisk does not say "go stop black people on the street". It says stop people in neighborhoods where we have problems with gun crime.

Something of exactly this sort would save countless lives in Chicago where young black men seem bent on exterminating each other without any help from wildly racist cops.

Old 12-15-2014, 02:19 PM

Quote:
No, you just either can't handle a fairly simple distinction, or don't want to because it doesn't go along with your agenda.

Stop and frisk targets high crime areas. High crime areas are largely black and latino. Stop and frisk does not say "go stop black people on the street". It says stop people in neighborhoods where we have problems with gun crime.
I'll just leave your double speak to stand on its own.

Quote:
Something of exactly this sort would save countless lives in Chicago where young black men seem bent on exterminating each other without any help from wildly racist cops.
Maybe just round them all up and place them in camps where they can all be watched 24/7?

Old 12-15-2014, 02:25 PM

779 posts, read 632,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
This is why it won't change anytime soon^^^^^

I don't think people realize or have a grasp on just how common major criminal activity is in the black community. We're not talking about a few bad apples here. According to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, one in three black men can expect to go to prison in their lifetime and young black men are almost 14 times more likely to commit a violent crime than their white counterparts. you can't tell me that the black community needs to do nothing. That's just pretending a major crises doesn't exist. I think there is just a lot of wishful thinking in this thread by by assuming the black community rejects criminal behavior at the same rate as other races in this country. One trip to Utube and a couple of videos of young black men knocking people out to the cheers of their community members yelling "worldstar" paints a much different picture. You will find a much smaller percentage of stuff like this involving other races, and the biggest difference is it's not as condoned in other cultures.
How often do you really see whites, Asians or to some degree Hispanics acting this way. And when they do, why is it that they are said to be acting like (insert black racial slur).

It's a cultural problem and it needs to be addressed.
Growing up in Black communities and seeing it first-hand has given me a little bit of insight.

Can expect to go to prison. Not have gone or will definitely go as in, if old trends continued but old trends have been going down so that 1 in 3, which also includes weed possession, non payment of tickets, non payment of child support and other random non violent crimes continues. The move to legalize our decriminalize weed is a start to bringing them down. If only the feds would hey out of the way of that one. That is the train that the disparity in sentencing is brought up so often. Apparently, if you search more black people, stop more black people, don't give probation to or dismiss the smaller crimes of black people but instead arrest them it adds to the number. No, that isn't to say that criminals should be left off the hook or that crimes committed by mostly young black men should not be addressed. It is simply acknowledging that there is more than one aspect to the stats and that projected ratio.

I can tell you that the community doesn't need to do anything at least not anything that out isn't already doing. That isn't pretending anything. That is saying that the majority of black people are not going to be able to change the hearts and minds of those raised in the criminal element at least not the way that you think. If you want to address the problem then anyone can volunteer as a mentor. Anyone can volunteer at any of the organizations already established to combat the various problems in some parts of some black neighborhoods our stay your own. Anyone can donate to good b-sides, participate in marches, provide opportunities for internships, summer jobs and the myriad of things already being done. Cops can continue to build trust in areas where they need witnesses to come forward. They can also increase protection for said witnesses.

To pretend that no one is addressing the problem is to ignore all of the hard work that people put into changing things for the better.it is to act as if Cosby or whoever is on the news lecturing the wrong people about the troubles of the black community is illuminating the issues to anyone but outsiders who were wearing blinders.

I can show you plenty of videos of white kids fighting and acting as if they have no home training. To pretend like they are all saints instead of knowing that more than a few can damn near get away with murder and not have it reported shows part of the problem. I see it all of the time as I have a ton of friends who love to post crazy crap to facebook from YouTube and they have no intention of only adding to one narrative do I see ask colors well represented when it comes to tom foolery.

This odd belief that most black people condone criminal behavior is insane. From where do you draw this thought? It's probably said that their acting like a Ni &ga because that is people's favorite word for those who actually fit the negative stereotype. Even Chris rock made a joke about that. Not sure if it's the go to word for prejudiced people in mainly Hispanic areas or the few areas where Asians have gangs. I bet that they go with some other colorful words.

You're right. I wouldn't say it happens at the same rate. As we've said time and again there is a portion of black people who are actual thugs, gangsta, and all of the other stereotypes BUT as it's been pointed out over and over again it's still not even close to a majority.

Not sure how you can address it more but hey I'm all for making the world a better place. If you or someone else has great concrete ideas for action other than telling people what they already know then I am all for it.

Old 12-15-2014, 03:01 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
The cops I know don't base a stop by race alone. There are other factors involved in profiling besides race. There's also clothing (possible gang related), body language, location (known for high criminal activity), time of day (a time and location one would not normally find someone), and other factors.
Oh, enough with this logic.

Old 12-15-2014, 03:06 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_DC View Post
If you want to address the problem then anyone can volunteer as a mentor.
Supposedly, George Zimmerman was a mentor:

The physical evidence in the Michael Brown case supported the officer [updated with DNA evidence] - The Washington Post

Quote:
Sonner also said that Zimmerman and his wife in the past have served as mentors to African-American youth. "He and his wife were mentors to a single mother with two, a 14-year-old son and a 13-year-old daughter. They were mentors to them, took them every couple weeks. What that program included was every other week, going for two or three hours going to the mall, to the science center, going to lunch, playing basketball, doing those types of things."

Old 12-15-2014, 03:32 PM

Quote:
I'll just leave your double speak to stand on its own.

Maybe just round them all up and place them in camps where they can all be watched 24/7?
There's no double speak at all, you just don't want to hear the truth.

You're coming at everything from the presumption that I'm a racist, so there's no point in talking with you. I can't prove otherwise to you, and that's your only agenda: gaining the upper hand. It doesn't do any good for anyone, but it makes you feel better I guess.......

The main goal should be to end the cycle of poverty, premature death, and misery that plagues poor black communities. Calling people racists as a knee jerk reaction to everything helps no one, squashes any meaningful discourse, and makes people with good intentions throw their hands up.

It's like this whole "admit white privilege" thing. What does it achieve? It gains the upper hand in some pointless back and forth?

Old 12-15-2014, 05:43 PM

Quote:
There's no double speak at all, you just don't want to hear the truth.
I'm hearing perfectly clear your truth and it's a sad scary thing.

Quote:
You're coming at everything from the presumption that I'm a racist, so there's no point in talking with you. I can't prove otherwise to you, and that's your only agenda: gaining the upper hand. It doesn't do any good for anyone, but it makes you feel better I guess.......
I never called you that. I would guess sniveling twit. I wouldn't have went there but you did first.

Quote:
The main goal should be to end the cycle of poverty, premature death, and misery that plagues poor black communities. Calling people racists as a knee jerk reaction to everything helps no one, squashes any meaningful discourse, and makes people with good intentions throw their hands up.
When someone does that you can complain.

Quote:
It's like this whole "admit white privilege" thing. What does it achieve? It gains the upper hand in some pointless back and forth?
The overwhelming vast majority of people in these neighborhoods would no more break the law than you would but yet you support them being harassed walking home from work, the store, the movies, wherever. There are plenty of drugs in the rich white parts of NYC. Are they being harassed?

Old 12-15-2014, 06:34 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,386,107 times
there was an auburn football player killed saurday because of an argument with a 22 year old, the 22 year old killed the 18 year old with a firearm. why is the 22 year carrying a gun. the 22 year old was also an african american.

there was a girl caught on fire in mississippi, they are talking that its a black gang out of memphis.

so the question is, would frisk help these people, I mean with profiling. I think it would the football player
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies