Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you vote for a non Christian president
No 20 14.93%
Yes, (religion would be irrelevant) 83 61.94%
Yes (so long as he/she wasn't Muslim) 20 14.93%
Yes (so long as he/she wasn't Atheist) 2 1.49%
Other 9 6.72%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 11:28 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,510,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Well, for one thing I haven't heard of any fundamentalist extremist Christians bombing or beheading people.
Nor have I heard of any kidnapping young girls.
Nor have I heard of any stoning homosexuals or adulteresses.
IMO, it is pretty sick to make any comparison between fundamentalist Christians and radical Muslims.
I remember many people NOT voting for Kennedy because he was Catholic. Yet, he seemed to keep the separation of his religion and his duties as president with no apparent trouble. Could a radical extremist Muslim do the same?
Obviously, I don't think so!
So? Because some extremist idiots do heinous things that means every single person does? Are you really going to be one of those people who chooses to blindly judge a single person based on the actions of others?

Did you even read what you just posted? You said a catholic was able to separate his religious & governmental duties but not a muslim. How do you know this? You don't. You're making really ignorant assumptions.

Old 12-16-2014, 11:29 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,839,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you really think any recent President has pandered to the evangilicals or any other religious group? Give me a break!!!!
Yes, I absolutely believe they all have had to do so, no matter what they personally believed, in order to get elected in this country. If not, then there wouldn't be a thread like this, asking the question if it would be possible for a president to declare himself not Christian and still be elected.

Last edited by HeyJude514; 12-16-2014 at 12:09 PM..

Old 12-16-2014, 11:35 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,356,591 times
Quote:
I doubt he really meant that: my guess he meant how many of us feel, we need a Pres. that believes our country was founded on Christian values and believes our Pres should believe in a God. At least that is how I beleive he feels.
I have to be honest, I don't think I would vote for a Muslim.

For the few on here who made comments like: Christians believe in a myth, you do realize, whether you believe in a God or do not, niether has been proven; You can believe there is no God, Why do you find it necessary to put Christians down? I don't think most of us try and belittel you.

Old 12-16-2014, 11:45 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,827,745 times
Quote:

For the few on here who made comments like: Christians believe in a myth, you do realize, whether you believe in a God or do not, niether has been proven; You can believe there is no God, Why do you find it necessary to put Christians down? I don't think most of us try and belittel you.
You sure about that...?

Old 12-16-2014, 12:07 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,505,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
We need an Atheist.
Many presidents were atheists. As someone pointed out earlier, saying you believe in a sky dude doesn't mean you actually do.

Old 12-16-2014, 12:40 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,077,514 times
As far as I'm concerned, I'd only vote for the most religiously moderate people. At the very least, people who don't try and push their view on others. Other than that, I don't care even a little what their religious views are. It's trivial to get caught up on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
No. I vote for presidents who use the word of God as their moral compass. I do not want another president who pushes for abortion, drugs, gay marriage or torture.
What the hell do drugs have to do with God? Which drugs are you talking about? Super addictive ones that are legally prescribed or non-addictive ones like shrooms or marijuana? Why did God make marijuana at all if it's to be illegal? Waste of time. Kind of like viruses, mosquito, earthquakes, solar radiation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Chuck Baldwin. Ron Paul in 2012, and I support Huckabee now (as I did in 2008).

Any pro-choice candidate is out of the question.
Pro-choice does not mean they push abortion. I am pro-choice, but am firmly against abortion. I think we need to have a system that prevents unwanted pregnancy all together. This means a real sex education policy. But Christina conservatives amplify the problem by pushing their abstinence programs, which has been statistically proven to be inefficient.

Old 12-16-2014, 01:04 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,923,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
So? Because some extremist idiots do heinous things that means every single person does? Are you really going to be one of those people who chooses to blindly judge a single person based on the actions of others?

Did you even read what you just posted? You said a catholic was able to separate his religious & governmental duties but not a muslim. How do you know this? You don't. You're making really ignorant assumptions.
In spite of all the horrific things radical Muslims have done the past few years, you just don't get it, do you?
Well, I certainly will not bother to make any attempt to explain it to you if you haven't figured it out by now. It would obviously be a waste of my time to try to explain it, and a waste of your time to read the explanation.
I have my opinion, and you don't agree. So be it!

Old 12-16-2014, 01:14 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,077,514 times
Quote:
In spite of all the horrific things radical Muslims have done the past few years, you just don't get it, do you?
Well, I certainly will not bother to make any attempt to explain it to you if you haven't figured it out by now. It would obviously be a waste of my time to try to explain it, and a waste of your time to read the explanation.
Have you ever actually spoken to a Muslim? I feel as though the answer to that is no.

I'll fill you in. Nearly every Muslim I've met comes from a very normal and well behaved family. In fact, usually better behaved than I've seen else where. So often they are very much against the use of alcohol, and all seem to be better and keeping to themselves than most Christians. I've never once has a knock on my door that led to a conversation about Muhammad, but we've all had to deal with the Bible thumper on our door step. Yet for some reason, the fear of an Islamic takeover exists, yet the Christians are the most vocal converters I've ever seen. Why are the Christians out to have the most followers, when the Muslims are the ones who want power?

Oh, wait. You got that from modern journalism. Which means it's not true.

Old 12-16-2014, 01:15 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,510,115 times
Quote:
What am I supposed to get exactly? The fact that you lump every single muslim into one neat terrorist box? Fortunately, I know better than that.

Old 12-16-2014, 01:27 PM

22,141 posts, read 19,374,643 times
Quote:

I'm not an atheist, however Poppa Bush said this

Quote:
"I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God."
More recently there was this add

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PAJNntoRgA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies