Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you vote for a non Christian president
No 20 14.93%
Yes, (religion would be irrelevant) 83 61.94%
Yes (so long as he/she wasn't Muslim) 20 14.93%
Yes (so long as he/she wasn't Atheist) 2 1.49%
Other 9 6.72%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 03:00 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
This would be under the assumption that you are in general agreement with the candidate's political/policy views.

I'm especially curious about the atheist one.
We've already had several non-Christian presidents: John Adams, John Quincy Adams, Fillmore and Taft. They were Unitarians.
The Religious Affiliations of U.S. Presidents | Pew Research Center's Religion & Public Life Project

Old 12-15-2014, 03:08 PM

22,188 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Absolutely. The religion of a candidate has absolutey no barring on if I would vote for them or not, policy does. The only way religion could possibly impact my vote is if a candidate wants to legislate based off their personal religious beliefs. In that case, they don't have my vote.

However, as long as they seperate their personal religious beliefs from policy, their religion doesn't matter to me at all.

Old 12-15-2014, 03:11 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Why not?
Because there is no way to tell, simply by looking and listening, if a person is a moderate Muslim or a radical extremist, therefore I do not really trust ANY of them.
Could a Muslim swear (or affirm) that they will uphold and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic, even if the Constitution is in disagreement with their fundamental beliefs? If they lean even slightly towards radical extremism, I would have my doubts about their ability to place the Constitution above their core beliefs.
We have that problem right now in the County Clerk's office. One of the clerks has religious objections to handling same sex marriage licenses. The current legal opinion is that the office must make accommodations for that clerk, since there are plenty of other clerks to handle same sex licenses. My opinion is that the clerk should find another job.
Therefore, since a Muslim may have a problem with the provisions of the United States Constitution, or the various State Constitutions, I just would not vote for one.

Old 12-15-2014, 03:16 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
This would be under the assumption that you are in general agreement with the candidate's political/policy views.

I'm especially curious about the atheist one.
In the current crisis in the world, I'd rather he or she was not a Muslim.

Old 12-15-2014, 03:19 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,791,608 times
Carter was the last "Christian" I can recall as president. We all know how that worked out.

I voted for Carter when I was young and dumb, not because he was a Christian, but because he was not Nixon or Ford.

I voted for Bush because I thought he was a conservative. Silly me.

I voted against Obama not because he was a Christian but because he as a liberal.I think you get the idea.

PS I think that a Christian would have a tough time in the real world, where sometimes it is necessary to initiate actions that are basically immoral. I vaguely recall Carter cutting of funding to bribe the Iranian mullahs to keep quiet and let the Iranian Shah do business as usual. We all know how that turned out.

Find me a "Christian" who can deal in a world run by Satan, and I'll vote for him or her.

Old 12-15-2014, 03:25 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_DC View Post
Yes. You can actually swear on a book of your choosing. John Quincy Adams and Roosevelt did not use a bible.
Whether or not they would swear on a Bible has nothing to do with it. I don't care if they swear on Book 7 of Harry Potter!
The question is, can they honestly swear to uphold and defend the Constitution, or would they put their religious beliefs above it?
Since I believe a radical extremist Muslim would put his Sharia Law above the Constitution, I could not vote for one.
Since a radical extremist Muslim would not believe in equal rights for women, I could not vote for him.
Since a radical extremist Muslim would not believe in equal rights for homosexuals, I could not vote for him.
Since a radical extremist Muslim would not believe in equal rights for non-Muslims, I could not vote for him.
Since a radical extremist Muslim would not believe in freedom of religion, I could not vote for him.
Since it has been shown that some radical extremist Muslims think it is perfectly acceptable to kidnap and rape prepubescent non-Muslim girls, and sell them into slavery, I could not vote for him.
Note that I said "HIM" in every statement. Obviously, a radical extremist Muslim would never allow a mere woman to run for public office!

Old 12-15-2014, 03:27 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Because there is no way to tell, simply by looking and listening, if a person is a moderate Muslim or a radical extremist, therefore I do not really trust ANY of them.
Could a Muslim swear (or affirm) that they will uphold and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic, even if the Constitution is in disagreement with their fundamental beliefs? If they lean even slightly towards radical extremism, I would have my doubts about their ability to place the Constitution above their core beliefs.
We have that problem right now in the County Clerk's office. One of the clerks has religious objections to handling same sex marriage licenses. The current legal opinion is that the office must make accommodations for that clerk, since there are plenty of other clerks to handle same sex licenses. My opinion is that the clerk should find another job.
Therefore, since a Muslim may have a problem with the provisions of the United States Constitution, or the various State Constitutions, I just would not vote for one.
What does the constitution have anything to do with being a muslim & vice versa? What about an extremist christian? You can't know by looking or listening if that person is an extremist christian. How is that any different?

Old 12-15-2014, 03:29 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Because there is no way to tell, simply by looking and listening, if a person is a moderate Christian or a radical extremist, therefore I do not really trust ANY of them.

Old 12-15-2014, 03:37 PM

31,041 posts, read 22,077,427 times
All things being equal I would prefer an Atheist, but Human beings like what they are familiar and comfortable with. For Americans that would be someone who calls them self a Christian.

All the President really has to do is call himself a Christian and he's good to go. I doubt Obama is much of a Christian, more like a Politian Christian. If he was a hard core Christian it would be in the same step as Rev. Wright. I think Bush and Clinton were a little more traditional Christians. Bush being the Country Club variety and Clinton the sneaky altar boy variety.

Last edited by LS Jaun; 12-15-2014 at 03:46 PM..

Old 12-15-2014, 03:45 PM

31,041 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
We've already had several non-Christian presidents: John Adams, John Quincy Adams, Fillmore and Taft. They were Unitarians.
The Religious Affiliations of U.S. Presidents | Pew Research Center's Religion & Public Life Project
And then there were some of our best ones. The ones with no formal affiliation: Thomas Jefferson, Abraham Lincoln, and Andrew Johnson!

Time for another President with 'no formal affiliation'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies