Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2014, 06:04 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,118,841 times

Advertisements

Torture is subjective. Watching MSNBC would drive me to talk!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 06:07 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,038,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Of course you do. How would you know the person you are torturing is a terrorist, when he never had his day in court, and never been found guilty? Some of the people in Gitmo were guilty, while others were not, but all were assumed guilty.
That's why EITs work. The interrogators get to the point where they believe they've gotten all they can out of the person and determine if he's telling the truth or not.

But then again, you probably believe OJ Simpson is innocent right? After all, he got his day in court.

Old 12-16-2014, 06:54 AM

For those of you against EITs, if one of those 6 suicide bombers where in custody last week, and they knew full well about the plot to attack this school this morning and slaughter innocent children, would you have been OK with EITs to get that information out of them if it would have prevented the attack?

Old 12-16-2014, 07:25 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,274,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
For those of you against EITs, if one of those 6 suicide bombers where in custody last week, and they knew full well about the plot to attack this school this morning and slaughter innocent children, would you have been OK with EITs to get that information out of them if it would have prevented the attack?
No.

Because if I knew I had one of those 6 bombers in custody, and knew full well about the plot to attack this school this morning. I have no need to torture anyone for information, I have enough information to act to remove the threat without torture. I close the schools (all of them in Peshawar) from the date of taking one of those bombers into custody until sometime next week.

The goal is preventing the attack, the attack is prevented. No torture or EIT's needed.

So what's your question again...?

Old 12-16-2014, 07:36 AM

3,401 posts, read 2,284,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
The left wrote the book on human rights violations, so save the holier than thou crap.
I'm not "the left", I'm just me. And I will continue to view torture-supporting cowards in the appropriate light. I didn't bother watching your video.

Old 12-16-2014, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
No.

Because if I knew I had one of those 6 bombers in custody, and knew full well about the plot to attack this school this morning. I have no need to torture anyone for information, I have enough information to act to remove the threat without torture. I close the schools (all of them in Peshawar) from the date of taking one of those bombers into custody until sometime next week.

The goal is preventing the attack, the attack is prevented. No torture or EIT's needed.

So what's your question again...?
Oh, that's right. I forgot, you had your crystal ball that told you all the information about the attack. That way, you could be nice to the terrorist and didn't have to make him uncomfortable.

"Sir, can I get you anything to eat or drink? Are you warm enough? We here at the CIA want to make sure you're well taken care of so that maybe by being nice to you, you'll give us some information that will help us to kill your comrades who were planning on bombing the school. Also, we've laid out a nice prayer carpet for you when you decide you're ready for your daily prayers. Anything else I can get you? Remember, we're your friend."

I really just don't understand some people....willing to trade the lives of innocents for those of terrorists.

Old 12-16-2014, 07:46 AM

3,401 posts, read 2,284,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
No, many americans, left or right, support gross human violations in order to save even more lives than the one being interrogated. You just haven't realized who you are dealing with. Perhaps you should google Iraqi's being beheaded and see what those films make you think.
I've paid attention, thanks. Still not scared into supporting torture, though.

Quote:
Take a good look at those humane creatures you defend and then for once, someone on the left answer the tough question; "what do you do when you are liberal and you really meet a son of a biotch?"......
I bring the guy inside, fire up my computer, log in here, and show the guy this thread so we can both have a laugh. Take all your attempts at emotional blackmail and put them where the sun shineth not. You are wasting your time.

Old 12-16-2014, 07:53 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,274,484 times
Quote:
Oh, that's right. I forgot, you had your crystal ball that told you all the information about the attack. That way, you could be nice to the terrorist and didn't have to make him uncomfortable.
Didn't need a crystal ball, you provided the scenario

Quote:
How would I know that I had a suicide bomber in custody last week unless I knew what the suicide bomber planned? If I knew what the suicide bomber planned I'd know the target. If I knew I had him last week then I'd know roughly when he planned to attack.

You set the scenario, not I.

Quote:
I really just don't understand some people....willing to trade the lives of innocents for those of terrorists.
You're clearly willing to trade the lives of innocents for those terrorists too. Terrorists don't walk around with a big sign around their neck saying "I'm a terrorist". You must accept that any program of "enhanced interrogation" will inflict long term suffering on people who are innocent, our courts system doesn't get convictions right all the time, innocent people are convicted of crimes they are not guilty of, and the criteria you've already set for people eligible for EIT's in this thread is a far lower bar than beyond a reasonable doubt.

Old 12-16-2014, 10:15 AM

3,913 posts, read 5,229,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
I've paid attention, thanks. Still not scared into supporting torture, though.

I bring the guy inside, fire up my computer, log in here, and show the guy this thread so we can both have a laugh. Take all your attempts at emotional blackmail and put them where the sun shineth not. You are wasting your time.
yo, seabass, no one is trying to scare you. I'm simply stating the obvious. Everyone wishes it weren't so. I'm sure even more so for the majority of those that live in the Middle East. But it isn't. It's the world we live in and one mf can really mess it up for a whole lotta people, can't they?

No need for fear. It serves no purpose that caffeine can't solve. But, to ignore it and do the same things over and over again is simply something that isn't working and makes no sense. Results do. No one can dispute the fact that some of these "tortures" if you can call waterboarding that, worked. They gained valuable intel that helped keep this country safe and quite possibly, quite a few lives over there?

The bad guys don't necessarily spend ALL of their time on us. Look at the melee in Pakistan, at a school? If "torturing" some mal-content could have saved those kids, would you have done it? If intel gathered in rather dubious ways merits better results, can you not consider them?

Talk is cheap. Just ask John Kerry. The Iranians have to be all but laughing at this milquetoast. Can't ignore the signs my friend. Otherwise, don't shoot one of those mediocre videos from a high-rise when a 757 penetrates a tall building adjacent to you. That really happened. Really.

It and worse, can happen again. Fear? No. Preparedness? You bet.

Old 12-16-2014, 10:21 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
But then again, you probably believe OJ Simpson is innocent right? After all, he got his day in court.
You reject our justice system, and want to replace it with extracting confessions by use of torture. No thanks I am happy with our justice system, and I am happy with our Constitution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies