Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2014, 10:21 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Do you have children?
If your childs life was in imminent danger and someone knew the solution to save your child's life but they wouldn't provide that information, would 'torture' or using EIT be justified, in your eyes, for getting that information?
LOL appeal to emotion won't work. If I torture, it would make me a criminal. Criminals belong in prison. You can choose to commit the crime, if you can do the time. Of course, the Unites States has executed torturers, like the Japanese waterboarders, so we're talking about dying for the cause. However, you are really advocating torture with impunity, aren't you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 10:26 AM

471 posts, read 807,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
LOL appeal to emotion won't work. If I torture, it would make me a criminal. Criminals belong in prison. You can choose to commit the crime, if you can do the time. Of course, the Unites States has executed torturers, like the Japanese waterboarders, so we're talking about dying for the cause. However, you are really advocating torture with impunity, aren't you?
Would you support pouring water on someones face and making them lose sleep if you thought it would save the life of a family member?

Old 12-15-2014, 10:29 AM

3,401 posts, read 2,284,443 times
Quote:
So, you'd rather lose American lives than make a radical muslim feel a little uncomfortable until he spilled the beans?
Torturing people does not lead to their being "a little uncomfortable". And yeah, I'm okay with that. Now I have a question. Do you support torturing people who aren't Muslims, or do you limit your support of gross human rights violations to people you're scared of?

Old 12-15-2014, 10:29 AM

2,616 posts, read 2,398,140 times
Rape!!! It's not rape, it's "enhanced foreplay"

Old 12-15-2014, 10:32 AM

3,401 posts, read 2,284,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffster View Post
Would you support pouring water on someones face and making them lose sleep if you thought it would save the life of a family member?

Would you do so then weep and wail about how it's okay because you're sad and scared, or would you do so then turn yourself over to the police and confess your crime?

I notice you refer to the right's preferred method of torture as "pouring water on someones[sic] face" so you can pretend the things you support aren't torture.

Old 12-15-2014, 10:33 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
And now your reading comprehension is suspect. Source said advocation.
When you assert that anyone would condone torture if the situation warranted it, you are, indeed, advocating it by offering up justification (some situations warrant it) and by suggesting consensus (everyone would condone it) makes it acceptable.

Old 12-15-2014, 10:34 AM

Quote:
I knew I'd find you.
Again with the attempt at marginalization. And again failing.

Old 12-15-2014, 10:36 AM

37,174 posts, read 19,189,687 times
It seems like the United States used to call torture what it was, and dealt with it in a suitable manner.

Yes, <i>National Review</i>, We Did Execute Japanese for Waterboarding*|*Paul Begala

Old 12-15-2014, 10:37 AM

37,174 posts, read 19,189,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baxendale View Post
Rape!!! It's not rape, it's "enhanced foreplay"
Slavery was "enhanced employment".

Old 12-15-2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffster View Post
Do you really think pouring water on someone's face and making them lose sleep is going to force them to give you information that would save the life of a family member?

Don't try to make out that torture is akin to splashing someone in a pool. If you aren't causing extreme pain and suffering, you aren't torturing someone. And the rationale behind torture is that you need to cause them extreme pain and suffering in order to break them and get them to tell you what you want to know. Because after all, plain old-fashioned interrogation doesn't work. Pain and fear work. That's the rationale behind torture. That pain and fear work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies