Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 08:16 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times

Advertisements

^ There is so much wrong with this post that it's hard to know where to start, but here goes...

1) Pregnancy leads to motherhood, which is not just a temporary inconvenience. It is a life-long relationship and commitment. Unless you're absolutely oblivious, you should already know this.

2) If you want to reduce single motherhood, stop giving men a free pass by perpetuating the belief that unintended pregnancy is a woman's sole responsibility, which is exactly what you've done when you write nonsense like the following:

Quote:
...a couple engaged in unprotected sex and the woman doesn't want the temporary inconvenience of her actions.
If a man voluntarily participates in creating a life, then he needs to stick around and nurture it, and that means more than just making the occasional child support payment.

3) Any pro-life man who directs anger about the need for social safety nets solely at single moms, letting men who abandon their children off the hook, hasn't a leg to stand on. I am not familiar enough with your posting history to know if this is the case with you, but it is true of some of your peers, and it disgusts me.

Back on topic, I am absolutely thrilled at the development of fetal surgery. It was not yet a reality when my first pregnancy was diagnosed with profound fetal defect. To be clear, though, surgery would NOT have fixed the issue in my case. Nonetheless, I am so happy that some families are now able to take steps to improve the outcome of pregnancies affected by Spina Bifida. That is truly wonderful news.

Last edited by randomparent; 12-30-2014 at 08:51 AM.. Reason: Added not (in caps). Typing fast on a tablet keyboard and missed it in proofreading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 08:42 AM

62,931 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
^ There is so much wrong with this post that it's hard to know where to start, but here goes...

1) Pregnancy leads to motherhood, which is not just a temporary inconvenience. It is a life-long relationship and commitment. Unless you're absolutely oblivious, you should already know this.

2) Both male and female are necessary to create a pregnancy. If you want to reduce single motherhood, stop giving men a free pass by perpetuating the belief that unintended pregnancy is a woman's sole responsibility, which is exactly what you've done when you write nonsense like the following:

If a man voluntarily participates in creating a life, then he needs to stick around and nurture it, and that means more than just making the occasional child support payment.

3) Any pro-life man who directs anger about the need for social safety nets solely at single moms, letting men who abandon their children off the hook, hasn't a leg to stand on. I am not familiar enough with your posting history to know if this is the case with you, but it is true some of your peers, and it disgusts me.

Back on topic, I am absolutely thrilled at the development of fetal surgery. It was not yet a reality when my first pregnancy was diagnosed with profound fetal defect. To be clear, though, surgery would have fixed the issue in my case. Nonetheless, I am so happy that some families are now able to take steps to improve the outcome of pregnancies affected by Spina Bifida. That is truly wonderful news.
I was addressing the women that get pregnant but don't want the child and would give it up for adoption. So yes, carrying it for 9 months is a temporary inconvenience. Where did I say that the father involved shouldn't take responsibility also? Where did I give him a free pass? Yes, he needs to stick around and be financially responsible for the pregnancy he helped create. He needs to be involved in the decision of whether to keep the child or adopt it out and if they decide to keep it he should be financially responsible for it while it is being raised. I don't know where you got from my posts that the father should be left off the hook.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:48 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
It's right there in the sentence I quoted. You used couple in the first part of your sentence yet woman in the second. Perhaps I read more into than I should have, but failure to use parallel construction leaves a lot of room for interpretation.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:52 AM

18,383 posts, read 19,015,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I was addressing the women that get pregnant but don't want the child and would give it up for adoption. So yes, carrying it for 9 months is a temporary inconvenience. Where did I say that the father involved shouldn't take responsibility also? Where did I give him a free pass? Yes, he needs to stick around and be financially responsible for the pregnancy he helped create. He needs to be involved in the decision of whether to keep the child or adopt it out and if they decide to keep it he should be financially responsible for it while it is being raised. I don't know where you got from my posts that the father should be left off the hook.

yes he should but thousands and thousands don't, won't and never will. now once again it is on the woman completely. not realistic to think these men will ever step up to the plate.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
It's right there in the sentence I quoted. You used couple in the first part of your sentence yet woman in the second. Perhaps I read more into than I should have, but failure to use parallel construction leaves a lot of room for interpretation.
I said couple because obviously if a pregnancy occurred there were two people involved that acted irresponsibly. The woman however has to bear the child therefore the use of the word woman.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:28 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
As am alternate to abortion I propose that any woman that desires to carry (safe abortion would still be available) a pregnancy to full term be completely and comfortably (much more than the current welfare levels) supported by the state until the child is a self directed adult. The benefits of this idea is it would end the low population growth problem as well as make all the taxpaying males pay for all or the kids.

Old 12-30-2014, 02:56 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,042,433 times
Quote:
I have no problem with abortion when the woman's life is in danger. But most abortions occur just because a couple engaged in unprotected sex and the woman doesn't want the temporary inconvenience of her actions.
The electricity going out for a couple of hours is a temporary inconvenience.

Carrying a pregnancy to term and giving birth is HUGE, it changes a woman's body permanently, drains her finances, can even cost her her job or her life.

Your lack of respect for what pregnant women go through is very telling.

Most men would cry like a little girl if they had to give up sex, or football, or beer, or their guns for nine months, let alone carry a pregnancy and give birth.

Let's put this in perspective.

How many men would carry an unwanted pregnancy to term if there was a chance, no matter how remote, that they could lose their ability to get an erection?

Yet, you think a woman risking her very life is nothing but an inconvenience.

Old 12-30-2014, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
The electricity going out for a couple of hours is a temporary inconvenience.

Carrying a pregnancy to term and giving birth is HUGE, it changes a woman's body permanently, drains her finances, can even cost her her job or her life.

Your lack of respect for what pregnant women go through is very telling.

Most men would cry like a little girl if they had to give up sex, or football, or beer, or their guns for nine months, let alone carry a pregnancy and give birth.

Let's put this in perspective.

How many men would carry an unwanted pregnancy to term if there was a chance, no matter how remote, that they could lose their ability to get an erection?

Yet, you think a woman risking her very life is nothing but an inconvenience.
And your lack of respect for human life is very telling. Most women aren't risking their lives carrying a baby for 9 months. If her life is at risk then I have no problem with an abortion. I already stated that in another post. Your continuous straw man arguments are getting ridiculous now. All the other scenarios you have painted could have been avoided if she and her partner had practiced protected sex. So now you whine because that didn't happen?

Old 12-30-2014, 03:50 PM

18,383 posts, read 19,015,863 times
Quote:
And your lack of respect for human life is very telling. Most women aren't risking their lives carrying a baby for 9 months. If her life is at risk then I have no problem with an abortion. I already stated that in another post. Your continuous straw man arguments are getting ridiculous now. All the other scenarios you have painted could have been avoided if she and her partner had practiced protected sex. So now you whine because that didn't happen?

the risk is still there none the less. a woman would not know her life was in danger until she was indeed pregnant and her life became an issue. it is not something you can predict. most women indeed try to put the dangers of pregnancy out of their minds. that does not dismiss the fact that 250,000 women world wide die each year from child birth and or related issues.

you seem to lack "human respect" for the women who lives are put at stake when they get pregnant. do their lives count for anything in your book?

Old 12-30-2014, 04:03 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The ACA is a mess and what we needed to do was quit the bombing and use that money to cover everyone with health care.

Thoughts?
A VERY pro-life attitude. You get one of these:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies