Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 02:21 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,633,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
Some of us have a live outside of CD.

Well good for you.

But you clearly had something in mind when you said "the average black" so now let's have it. Describe the average black in YOUR words. You can continue to tap dance and beat around the bush, but all that shows is that you put your foot in your mouth.

Old 12-19-2014, 02:30 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,169,444 times
Quote:
Some of us have a live outside of CD.

Oh, that was a good one!

Like hopefulone said, quit skating around it, you said it, now explain to us what defines an average black.

Don't worry, we'll wait.

Old 12-19-2014, 02:36 PM

53 posts, read 54,164 times
Ok, I will bite. Some poster, don't remember who, said regular black American was OK, but average black is not. What is the difference?

Old 12-19-2014, 02:38 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,023,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblyGirl View Post
Ok, I will bite. Some poster, don't remember who, said regular black American was OK, but average black is not. What is the difference?
If you gotta ask...

Old 12-19-2014, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
If you gotta ask...
Well I did, is it the American part that makes it not so offensive?

Old 12-19-2014, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Well I did, is it the American part that makes it not so offensive?
Do you say "average black" your real life?

Old 12-19-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Do you say "average black" your real life?
I don't say either. You are answering a question with a question.

Old 12-19-2014, 03:18 PM

Quote:
I don't say either. You are answering a question with a question.
Well does "average black" sound right to you?

Would you say this to a black person and not expect them to look at you sideways or be offended?

Old 12-19-2014, 03:30 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,169,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Don't you think when someone says, "the average African-American" it's the same as saying, "the average Joe?" It doesn't mean anything discriminatory. It's just a way of describing the common guy. People with common basic goals.

I don't see any sense in holding all black people responsible for the behavior of a few but when the words "Black Community" are used I don't think that's what the speaker had in mind. Instead I think of it as a singular voice to express what the average Joe among black people desires - respect, a job, freedom from harassment, etc.

Think of it in terms of saying "the average American" unless you think the average AA and the average American are two different things. In more ways than not we all want the same things.

Maybe it is time to stop separating us as people with different goals. Do we even need a Black Caucus anymore or an NAACP? Perhaps the time of using them for a voice for the "Black Community" has passed.
Quote:
Consider the source. It's not so much what is said, as much as it's the context of when it's said and the audience that's saying it.

Whenever you segment based on race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, etc., and say, 'your average ____", consider the source, i.e., some of the fine, fine posters we are graced with on C-D .

The post in question:

Quote:
Exactly. I know what his point was, but average black isn't going to understand. Too busy hanging on to the victim label/status.

Old 12-19-2014, 04:25 PM

3,063 posts, read 3,270,637 times
Quote:
Look at that context which it was used. The poster who used it, used it in a manner that was negative.
She said "the average black isn't going to understand" (or something to that effect). So most of us are curious about her definition of the average black. The term average usually suggests typical or "common" and so reading her statement it comes off as if she is applying a negative judgement toward a large group of us, as if the majority of us won't get it. What basis does she have to suggest that, and what is her criteria of the average black person, why wouldn't this person understand?
^^
she has yet to respond with an answer or an explanation about her comment because she knows it was highly ignorant to make that comment in the first place.
Is it that difficult for a person to simply say "there are some black people that might not understand" instead of saying " the black community", "the blacks" or the "average black". It's ignorant, period. And apparently the premise of this entire thread went right over her head.

Last edited by Faith2187; 12-19-2014 at 04:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies