Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2014, 04:09 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,918,476 times

Advertisements

I haven't been there, although I could have gone on an educational trip there, under the sanctions, and I wish I had. All I really know is that when I was in Jr. High, the Cuban Missile Crisis took place, and the Castro regime does not seem to go away.
I hear Cuba is a time capsule from the 1950s, which would be great to see. I also realize that they have had trade relations with everyone but us all this time, and yet it is the US which gets blamed for their backwardness...not Communism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2014, 04:10 PM

654 posts, read 1,250,368 times
Cuba = cheap hookers, booze and fake cigars!

Old 12-17-2014, 04:13 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,212,564 times
Quote:
So, what do we think about Cuba?
Nothing.

Old 12-17-2014, 04:14 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
I think it is good news. It is mostly symbolic as neither country needs the other. But it is a positive development. There is no point in isolating a country just because it is communist. I think one of the reasons for the hate of leftist countries has always been the fear that without actively trying to destroy them, some of them might actually work, which is the nightmare of conservatives as it could set an example.

Old 12-17-2014, 04:14 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,539,703 times
Don't care one way or another.

Now that relations will normalize, it's one less place the Obama admin officials will be able to flee to when they are prosecuted.

Old 12-17-2014, 04:15 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,816,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
What upper hand? The one that has seen Castro outlast every American president we've had over 55 years? That upper hand? That's what you're bargaining with?

Allende, Lumumba, Mossadegh, Diem...just a few dictators that couldn't survive an American target on their backs. All are thousands of miles away.

But 90 miles away.. one guy withstood the onslaught.

Human rights? Did you get that concession from the Saudis, Vietnamese, Chinese or Pakistanis before cutting a deal with them?

Nope. So why single out Cuba?

You get to lease a naval base on 45 square miles of pristine Cuban coastline for 4 grand a year in an antiquated agreement that Cubans were forced to sign at gunpoint...and you've got the guts to bring up human rights?

You can't even buy a decent used car at that price.

Get outta here.
So because we have not improved human rights in other countries, we should not try and improve human rights in Cuba where we have influence?
We have nothing to gain and everything to lose re this change. It was poorly played by obama.

Btw, I actually agree with the change. It was just done very poorly, like most of obama's foreign policy ventures.

Old 12-17-2014, 04:18 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
I was half listening to the Money Channel today and they had one wealthy businessman talking about this normalization with Cuba. Of course he was quick to point out that the Cuban people are hard workers. I am thinking that this man could have been any one of our politicians talking about Mexico or any other nation - other than the US. What I read into statements, like this one, is that big business still wants more cheap labor. I just don't like it that so many people are so quick to sell out our jobs. What happened to our Country where our leaders do not respect their own workers? Why is everybody better workers than we are - because we want a livable wage?

Old 12-17-2014, 04:27 PM

3,826 posts, read 3,386,268 times
Barack is looking for a place to live when he is chased out of the country in 2016.

Old 12-17-2014, 04:27 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,474,594 times
There was never any good reason to continue the embargo after the demise of the USSR. Cuba is a broke, squalid little dictatorship but the people who claim we can only get along with democracies are out of their minds.

Old 12-17-2014, 04:29 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I was half listening to the Money Channel today and they had one wealthy businessman talking about this normalization with Cuba. Of course he was quick to point out that the Cuban people are hard workers. I am thinking that this man could have been any one of our politicians talking about Mexico or any other nation - other than the US. What I read into statements, like this one, is that big business still wants more cheap labor. I just don't like it that so many people are so quick to sell out our jobs. What happened to our Country where our leaders do not respect their own workers? Why is everybody better workers than we are - because we want a livable wage?
I think in terms of business sugarcane might play a bigger role, replacing other sweet substances.

But I don't think companies are trying to move US production to Cuba.

Future business will mostly revolve around agricultural produce and tourism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies