Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 01:28 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times

Advertisements

This is more scary than Gitmo. If this is a typical school principal, god help us and our children.
------------------
These days, bringing an empty shell casing to school can cost you big time. Chanute Elementary School principal Gary Wheeler reduced a student to tears and threatened him with a 168 day suspension for bringing an empty shell casing to school.

Read more at Student Faces 168-Day Suspension For Empty Shell Case
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2014, 01:34 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
I can't imagine sending my kids to public school. It's a complete disaster, and the LAST thing on the administration's mind is education. It's all about liability and political correctness these days.

Is it any wonder that there's been a massive increase in homeschooling lately? I think not.

Old 12-17-2014, 01:37 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Texas lawmaker files 'Pop Tart gun' bill - Houston Chronicle

Quote:
Rep. Ryan Guillen, D-Rio Grande City, has filed a bill that would prohibit schools from punishing students who use their hands, playthings and, yes, even pastry items to mimic firearms. The proposed legislation also would protect students through the fifth grade who play with toy guns or draw or possess pictures of guns.

Old 12-17-2014, 01:38 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I can't imagine sending my kids to public school. It's a complete disaster, and the LAST thing on the administration's mind is education. It's all about liability and political correctness these days.

Is it any wonder that there's been a massive increase in homeschooling lately? I think not.
Don't make the mistake so many here make - generalizing a single incident and applying it to all public schools. My kids' public schools were/are excellent. As many are.

Old 12-17-2014, 01:56 PM

24,495 posts, read 17,232,699 times
So silly isn't it this PC crap....
In Mass I jsut heard about a charter school where the 2nd graders decided to stage a protest for Ferguson, made up signs that read "Honk for Justice' and went out in front of the school. Ah 7 year old kids are going to come up with this idea? I think a teacher put the idea in their heads...
Closer to home 5th grade kids made shadow boxes to commemorate an upcoming anniversary of a battle from the war of 1814 where the British were turned back by the town folk. the kids drew pictures and the one that made it in to the newspaper had 2 soldiers pointing guns at each other! OH THE HORROR and the poor kid that drew that.... He is going to need some serious counseling when he gets older.
I'm so tired of this PC crap, seriously a bullet casing?

Old 12-17-2014, 02:08 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!! A small measure of sanity.

Old 12-17-2014, 03:28 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Don't make the mistake so many here make - generalizing a single incident and applying it to all public schools. My kids' public schools were/are excellent. As many are.
I'm not doing that.

The simple fact is that these sorts of things happen all over the country, at plenty of "excellent" schools.

Since my time there, my high school has employed perimeter fencing and security guards, and has banned going off campus for lunch. This is in a middle (now middle/upper) class neighborhood of southern California, and that's just the changes that I know of. Crime hasn't increased there and there have been no incidents to warrant these changes - they're just doing what schools do now, which is act more like prisons than educational institutions. Teaching has become more about crowd control than education.

So while I get your point that these things, while quite sensational, are relatively rare (I wish the anti-gun types would understand the exact same thing about mass shootings), they still happen, and how "good" a school is seems to be irrelevant to whether something idiotic like this can happen there. I'd even wager that the "good" schools are where these things happen the most, as those working at the "bad" schools have real threats to worry about and less time to bother kids about the shape of a pop tart or slice of pizza.

This is just reason #43895729 to homeschool. There are plenty more. It's not for everyone, and that's fine. I respect every parent's decision about how to best educate their children.

Old 12-17-2014, 04:15 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
This is beyond stupid. If these morons are that prone to soiling their panties over a piece of brass or a Pop-Tart, what do they do when a kid reads Outdoor Live or American Rifleman in school?

Old 12-17-2014, 04:16 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post

Two words.

Parochial School.

Old 12-17-2014, 04:23 PM

7,800 posts, read 4,400,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Two words.

Parochial School.
Really..you think so...have an eight year old bring some empty shell casings into a Catholic school and let's see how the nuns will react...I bet ya the poor boy will wish he were in public school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies