Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 04:36 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLA17 View Post
Yeah unless there's real proof that they broke in. If the person is living with you and has the gun and does a crime then you should go to jail too. that's how I look at it and that's one way we could prevent a lot of this random gun crime.

I'm glad you will never be elected to political office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2014, 10:11 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,364,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
Countries that do not have guns in the hands of a lot of people like Japan China and most of Europe so gun violence is very low to just about none. US lot of people have guns violence is very high to high really take guns away and you have hardly any gun violence.
"gun violence" is not high in the US, it's high in some concentrated urban areas. The VAST majority of the US does not have any kind of "gun violence" problem. There are 10,000 people living in my zip code, there have been zero murders of any kind for at least 20 years, why would I support a law restricting my rights because people 2,000 miles away in Chicago kill someone on a regular basis?

Quote:
I disagree. I'm in florida and there's gun crime in pretty much every county. I'm pretty sure it's like this in other states too especially georgia, texas, louisiana, etc. And these random shooters are not rare at all. Sure the nutcases that shoot up schools are rare but what about the ones that just kill random people for a few bucks or cus they feel like it cus they have nothing better to do? there's plenty of poeple like that....not to mention the countless number of "accidental" shootings I hear about every week where people were "passing around a gun" and it somehow goes off and kills someone.
You're ignorant and spend far to much time on what you "hear" instead of actually researching the issue. You clearly have no idea what you're talking about or what the real statistics are on negligent, criminal or justified shootings. You're "pretty sure" and "you hear about" just means you spent to much time watching MSNBC and reading Huffington and not really looking into the issue.

Old 12-19-2014, 12:02 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
I'm saying it's easier to hide a gun than a car...
Good point, I'll rephrase my question. So what you are saying is it's easier to steal this giant object that already has it own locks and security devices, one of the reasons is because the thief can easily hide it on their person. Is that what you are saying?

Old 12-19-2014, 02:37 PM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
You don't have hope for me? I don't have hope for you if you can find some way to compare someone stealing your car to a crazy person getting your gun...hiding your gun is easy but if you park your car in a parking lot and someone steals it while you're at work you can't do anything about it...unless you have legit proof that some random stranger stole your gun and it wasn't just you selling it to them or a crazy relative taking it from your room cus it was easy as hell to get....
"You can't reason with an un reasonable person"

Old 12-19-2014, 02:46 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,083,636 times
Quote:
to gun enthusiasts: Why can't we just make a law where everyone has a right to a gun unless they're a violent criminal or crazy...BUT if someone who IS a criminal or crazy gets caught with YOUR gun(if you sold it to them or they found it in your house cus they're a crazy relative of yours and you didnt hide it well enough, etc. YOU get a minimum 1 year prison sentence? If they forced you to watch your gun that much then maybe these nutcases would have a harder time getting their hands on a gun. I'm all for people having guns yo defend themselves from the endless amount of violent criminals in these streets but their should be sever punishments if you let your gun get in the hands of these people or people with mental issues/ptsd.
How do they know it was my gun that the criminal used? There is no database to keep track of who owns what.

Old 12-20-2014, 07:09 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,827,481 times
Quote:
You can't really control your car being stolen but you can easily control it with a gun...and a car isnt gonna used to do some crazy stuff that affects random people for the most part.
When I took vacation one year and had to leave my car in the Denver airport, I pulled the hot wire from the solenoid to the coil and put the coil wire to the distributor in my suitcase. You could tow it, I guess.

For newer models...
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...5234917AAYgDX9

Old 12-20-2014, 08:17 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,890,487 times
Quote:
to gun enthusiasts: Why can't we just make a law where everyone has a right to a gun unless they're a violent criminal or crazy...BUT if someone who IS a criminal or crazy gets caught with YOUR gun(if you sold it to them or they found it in your house cus they're a crazy relative of yours and you didnt hide it well enough, etc. YOU get a minimum 1 year prison sentence? If they forced you to watch your gun that much then maybe these nutcases would have a harder time getting their hands on a gun. I'm all for people having guns yo defend themselves from the endless amount of violent criminals in these streets but their should be sever punishments if you let your gun get in the hands of these people or people with mental issues/ptsd.
I'm going to go out on a limb here and agree with your plan.

If your gun ends up in the hands of an unauthorized or prohibited person because of your negligence, and they commit a crime with it, then certainly the lawful owner who is responsible for the safekeeping of that gun should bear some of the Responsibility.

Probably the ONLY thing I actually agree with Moms Demand Action on, is that there should be consequences when a child gets hold of their parents gun and kills themselves or someone else with it. The problem is how they pursue their agenda. They want states to pass "safe storage" laws that mandate a gun must be stored a certain way. Those laws have already been ruled Unconstitutional in McDonald vs. City of Chicago.

I say we go with what you have stated here. A gun owner can store a gun any way he / she wishes, they can even keep it on the kitchen table if they like, but if their kid gets hold of it, or an otherwise prohibited person, and commits a crime, then the ownjer will face the same penalties as if they committed the crime themselves.

Old 12-20-2014, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Only if you agree to be responsible for car that was either bought or stole from you used in the commission of of crime.
Pay attention to what they actually said.

Their suggestion is about who gets hold of the gun while it is legally yours. If you sold it, it's no longer yours, nor is it legally your responsibility. Same as if it's stolen and you report it. Therefore in those two situations, you wouldn't be responsible for the actions of someone else.

Old 12-20-2014, 08:26 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb here and agree with your plan.

If your gun ends up in the hands of an unauthorized or prohibited person because of your negligence, and they commit a crime with it, then certainly the lawful owner who is responsible for the safekeeping of that gun should bear some of the Responsibility.

Probably the ONLY thing I actually agree with Moms Demand Action on, is that there should be consequences when a child gets hold of their parents gun and kills themselves or someone else with it. The problem is how they pursue their agenda. They want states to pass "safe storage" laws that mandate a gun must be stored a certain way. Those laws have already been ruled Unconstitutional in McDonald vs. City of Chicago.

I say we go with what you have stated here. A gun owner can store a gun any way he / she wishes, they can even keep it on the kitchen table if they like, but if their kid gets hold of it, or an otherwise prohibited person, and commits a crime, then the ownjer will face the same penalties as if they committed the crime themselves.

Some parents have to learn the hard way, they should have taught their kid about gun safety and how to shoot, seeing what that thing will do.

The best education for a 6yo boy and guns, is let him pull the trigger on your double barrel 12.
He will never touch that gun ever again, until you die and he takes it hunting, in memory of you.

Old 12-20-2014, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
Countries that do not have guns in the hands of a lot of people like Japan China and most of Europe so gun violence is very low to just about none. US lot of people have guns violence is very high to high really take guns away and you have hardly any gun violence.
Only idiots look at statistics on "gun" crime. OF COURSE countries that have less "guns" are going to have less "gun" crime. Just like countries that have less CARS are going to have less traffic fatalities....... duh..... I wonder if countries that have less knives have fewer stabbings?

The problem is crime in general. You should be asking yourself how we lower the CRIME rate, not the "gun" crime rate.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 12-20-2014 at 08:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies