Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 05:51 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times

Advertisements

I'm fairly sure anyone in the USA for that long who doesn't have a mental problem speaks more than a couple words of English. The story was probably embellished to make her interactions with the legal system seem more daunting than it already is for people who are native English speakers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 11:13 PM

1,347 posts, read 954,257 times
Interesting how the intelligent posters understand that it is likely the woman is an illegal since the rag newspaper intentionally left it out - but the far left agenda-filled trolls seem to want to keep trolling the thread with nonsense about demanding "proof" on a point that the writer does everything but state.

Old 12-28-2014, 06:25 AM

3,555 posts, read 4,095,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonR View Post
Interesting how the intelligent posters understand that it is likely the woman is an illegal since the rag newspaper intentionally left it out - but the far left agenda-filled trolls seem to want to keep trolling the thread with nonsense about demanding "proof" on a point that the writer does everything but state.
The only one with an agenda is you. Others simply want to know what insight you have to assume she is illegal. It isn't that hard. Especially in the last century, people immigrated here and lived for decades while still using their native language, especially in large urban areas like New York (look at areas like Chinatown still today) where there are plenty of services available to them in that language. The fact that you assume she is illegal simply because she still speaks mostly Spanish just proves your agenda. If it were Irish or Italian you wouldn't give a ****. Besides, 25 years? Better blame that amnesty-loving Bush. He must have got the idea from Reagan.

Old 12-28-2014, 06:41 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,160 times
Quote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/19/ny...T.nav=top-news

The dishrag that is the NYT was wise not to allow comments on an article undoubtedly published to infuriate those of us who are utterly disgusted with the hard-left turn of the current awful NYC leadership, the giveaway of our country to the illegals, and the lunacy of the concept of rent stabilization laws.

My issues with the situation described in this article:

1) this woman is obviously an illegal alien, a fact that the lowlife author of the article took pains to hide. She has been in the country for 25 years and barely speaks any english? This is the garbage obama is allowing to stream across the borders? She no doubt is using city services, how much in taxes is she paying selling trinkets on the street off the books?

2) why is it acceptable that we have a capitalist society, yet landlords are forced - only in NY, mind you - to have to sell their product at a price way, way below market to the point that they can barely afford to even keep the building? If the market is providing $3K/month, why is it acceptable that this landlord be forced to have to provide a space at $700/month? Does the landlord not have to eat, pay for their kids' college, etc.? How about paying for ever increasing expenses of the building, such as electricity, oil, water, etc., whose costs are NOT capped?

3) why is it acceptable that a girl willing to pay her fair share market rent is being expelled from an apartment whose lease she signed in good faith so a illegal can continue to live in the apartment? When did this country stop protecting illegal aliens over its citizens?

This story is so infuriating, and is exposes what is wrong with this country and this city in so many ways I could write for days about it. How dare that judge throw out that girl out of her apartment? If she paid a broker, will that POS judge also force the broker to refund the fee?

I cannot accept that any one, anywhere, besides the scum in la rasa could possibly believe that this situation is a reasonable one, with a good outcome. That woman should have been deported - not handed a below-market rate apartment... Just freaking insane...

I didn't read the article. This is based on your post.

The woman in the article her immigration status is irrelevant. And certainly her not speaking English doesn't prove anything about her status.

This is where conservative arguments lose me, because those arguments aren't based in reality.

The housing market in this nation is heavily subsidized by the local, state and the federal government in favor of property owners.

The government essentially spends hundreds of billions of dollars every year propping up the housing market in favor of property and home owners and has done so for many decades.

So the government created agencies that enabled the creation of the 30yr mortgage, etc and so on.

So the plain reality is there is no housing market without intervention, investment, etc from the government.

So the real anger is not about unfair government policies that favor one person over another, because again the whole US housing market is a huge government gift/giveaway from all Americans to property and home owners that hurts renters and new home buyers.

No for conservatives or conservative type arguments it's always a question of whom does the government benefit.

Oh this type of person(this non English speaking woman) doesn't deserve this benefit from the government in housing.

Why not?

Again the whole US housing market is one huge government giveaway to owners of property.

Our US housing policy overwhelmingly favors home and property owners.

Why can't the government have a housing policy that helps people who aren't owners of property?

Old 12-28-2014, 06:50 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,885,133 times
Quote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/19/ny...T.nav=top-news

The dishrag that is the NYT was wise not to allow comments on an article undoubtedly published to infuriate those of us who are utterly disgusted with the hard-left turn of the current awful NYC leadership, the giveaway of our country to the illegals, and the lunacy of the concept of rent stabilization laws.

My issues with the situation described in this article:

I cannot accept that any one, anywhere, besides the scum in la rasa could possibly believe that this situation is a reasonable one, with a good outcome. That woman should have been deported - not handed a below-market rate apartment... Just freaking insane...
What is more worrisome is California goes out of their way to protect Illegals. Criticizes and attempts to punish Arizona for enforcing Laws. ( AZ1070) In the Mean while the DOJ refuses to sue California for modify Federal law.

The regular citizen in both NY and Ca. cannot do anything because of the super majority of liberals in these states. Technically speaking the same public offices should be removed from office, because of the oath of office to up hold the US Constitution.

That's why they fear a future republican Gov. that hopefully would clean house and reset the process of gov based on the Founders of the Constitution.

Old 12-28-2014, 06:59 AM

1,347 posts, read 954,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
I didn't read the article. This is based on your post.
It would be helpful to read things before commenting on them.

Quote:
The woman in the article her immigration status is irrelevant.
Wrong, it is VERY important, and had you read the article and my post, you'd understand that.

Quote:
And certainly her not speaking English doesn't prove anything about her status.
It provides evidence she is an illegal.

Quote:
This is where conservative arguments lose me, because those arguments aren't based in reality.
From the poster who did not even read the article :roll eyes:

Quote:
The housing market in this nation is heavily subsidized by the local, state and the federal government in favor of property owners.
Really? How's that?

Quote:
No for conservatives or conservative type arguments it's always a question of whom does the government benefit. Oh this type of person(this non English speaking woman) doesn't deserve this benefit from the government in housing.
Deflective nonsense about housing subsidies aside, the woman is likely an illegal, and even if we assumed what you said is accurate about government subsidies was true - she should not be benefitting from them or any other taxpayer subsidized programs. She should not even be in the country.

Quote:
Why can't the government have a housing policy that helps people who aren't owners of property?
LOL it does, there are hundreds of thousands of rental housing project apartments in Manhattan alone, let alone Brooklyn and the Bronx.

Some research and facts would be helpful before posting garbage next time.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:12 AM

Quote:
It would be helpful to read things before commenting on them.

Wrong, it is VERY important, and had you read the article and my post, you'd understand that.

It provides evidence she is an illegal.

From the poster who did not even read the article :roll eyes:

Really? How's that?

Deflective nonsense about housing subsidies aside, the woman is likely an illegal, and even if we assumed what you said is accurate about government subsidies was true - she should not be benefitting from them or any other taxpayer subsidized programs. She should not even be in the country.

LOL it does, there are hundreds of thousands of rental housing project apartments in Manhattan alone, let alone Brooklyn and the Bronx.

Some research and facts would be helpful before posting garbage next time.

Not really because I'm not responding to the article.

Again, this woman's immigration status is irrelevant, and her not speaking English proves nothing at all about her status.

uninformed people bore me. Look I suggest you do some reading about US home and property ownership.

Look up tax policy for property owners.

Again for conservatives it's never about oh this is some unfair government practice that aids one over another, since the whole US policy on housing aids favors home owners over renters and those seeking to buy their first home.

So the US government can set up agencies, design tax policy all around favoring property owners over other Americans, but can't have a housing policy that helps non property owners?

Why not still remains the only relevant question.

Old 12-28-2014, 08:35 AM

27,137 posts, read 15,313,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Not really because I'm not responding to the article.

Again, this woman's immigration status is irrelevant, and her not speaking English proves nothing at all about her status.

uninformed people bore me. Look I suggest you do some reading about US home and property ownership.

Look up tax policy for property owners.

Again for conservatives it's never about oh this is some unfair government practice that aids one over another, since the whole US policy on housing aids favors home owners over renters and those seeking to buy their first home.

So the US government can set up agencies, design tax policy all around favoring property owners over other Americans, but can't have a housing policy that helps non property owners?

Why not still remains the only relevant question.

Really?

Quote,Iamme73 :
"This is where conservative arguments lose me, because those arguments aren't based in reality."

Old 12-28-2014, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Really?

Quote,Iamme73 :
"This is where conservative arguments lose me, because those arguments aren't based in reality."
Yep that's correct.

Old 12-28-2014, 09:00 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,259,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuddingPops View Post
If a price cap is enforced on rent, then how do the landlords cover rising costs for building maintenance, taxes, and other expenses? Does the government then step in and cap real estate taxes? Probably not. Do they cap the fees that plumbers, electricians, and handymen can charge? Probably not. Do politicians not have enough foresight to realize this... or do they just not care? I suppose it gets them votes from the low information voters.

The sad thing is, if there was to be a vote over whether government should nationalize oil companies and set price caps on gasoline prices... the mouth breathers of our society would probably let it happen. I think we need to start making economics a required class in public schools.
I wouldn't worry about the landlords. Most of them have have plenty of money and have been trying to get around the rent laws in NYC forever. They can sell the property if they don't want to deal with it, but don't. They keep it due to their greed and hope that they will make a windfall off of it in the future. Nobody is forcing them to be landlords.

If NYC eliminated the rent stabilization laws now, there will be a massive homeless population evicted and living on the streets. And the fact is, it is not only lower income families who live in rent-stabilized apartments. Many wealthy people live in apartments they have had for decades and rent at a great price. Maybe means testing would help?

People can barely afford to live in the city now. If rent-stabilization disappears, nobody other than the super wealthy will be able to live there. The OP "assumes" the woman is illegal. If the woman were illegal, I'm sure the landlord's attorneys would have turned her in. And as far as the unfortunate emotional rant of the OP--the NY Times is simply reporting the story. Because the OP doesn't agree with the story does not make it a "dishrag."

As an aside, the elimination of rent control in Barcelona is ruining the charm of the city and turning it into one big franchise. I've heard the same complaints about Manhattan.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/20/wo...barcelona.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies