Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2014, 03:17 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,526,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Se7ski View Post
NO. A clear case of loyalty to the law-abiding citizens of New York city.
To protect and to serve... the People... not a stupid corrupt politician. The really proper response to Mayor Dick Blasio would be Impeachment.

The larger issue of accountability within law enforcement always gets muted and dwarfed whenever someone touts the "I love cops, country, mom and apple pie...". It's distracting from what really needs to be discussed. It's basically saying I'm a bigger American than you. *Any* law abiding citizen regardless of your political leaning or feelings about Mayo De Blaiso or the NYPD should desire all phases of government and public services to incorporate proper checks and balances - a very deep rooted construct and foundational concept of the American Republic. The issue is the police policing themselves doesn't and hasn't worked and in instances of police over-reach and misuse of power entrusted by civilian leadership go without the typical analysis that would occur for non-cops. This is not a hard concept and has nothing to do with whether you love the police or not.

If you look at obvious over-reach by the police and not think there is an injustice leads me to believe that you believe there are disposable people in our society (and therefore who cares whether they receive equal treatment under the law).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 03:18 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,059,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Trampling on the Constitutional rights of others should be right at the top of the list.
Yes and no, a protester in Portland was ticketed when a car ran over his foot. The right to protest doesn't give one the right to violate laws.

Old 12-29-2014, 03:26 PM

79,907 posts, read 43,984,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Yes and no, a protester in Portland was ticketed when a car ran over his foot. The right to protest doesn't give one the right to violate laws.
The courts had already ruled, the people were not violating laws.

Old 12-29-2014, 04:02 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,429,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
The larger issue of accountability within law enforcement always gets muted and dwarfed whenever someone touts the "I love cops, country, mom and apple pie...". It's distracting from what really needs to be discussed. It's basically saying I'm a bigger American than you. *Any* law abiding citizen regardless of your political leaning or feelings about Mayo De Blaiso or the NYPD should desire all phases of government and public services to incorporate proper checks and balances - a very deep rooted construct and foundational concept of the American Republic. The issue is the police policing themselves doesn't and hasn't worked and in instances of police over-reach and misuse of power entrusted by civilian leadership go without the typical analysis that would occur for non-cops. This is not a hard concept and has nothing to do with whether you love the police or not.

If you look at obvious over-reach by the police and not think there is an injustice leads me to believe that you believe there are disposable people in our society (and therefore who cares whether they receive equal treatment under the law).
"You're either with us or against us."

Remember that? No discussion allowed and you better have that flag waving in the breeze.

Old 12-29-2014, 04:16 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,916,440 times
There is no law on the books that says you have to stay as a police officer, once you become one.. I would like to see the NYPD, resign in mass. Not receiving the support of the mayor and the council along with certain elements of the city, isn essence forcing the second guessing of incidents when it could well cost an officer his life. The mayor and his minions aren't worth me risking my life or my freedom to put forth their little agenda. Screw the city. Let the citizens provide their own protection, to include the mayor.

Old 12-29-2014, 05:07 PM

56,978 posts, read 25,943,130 times
Quote:

Very, very nicely stated Miker, the issue of police providing oversight of police has never worked well. The recurring problem is those in charge in addition to some others turning a blind eye to people that should really not be police officers in the first place. NYC is a long ways from the problems in the 1970's with the Knapp Commission but obviously some problems still exist as is the case with any organization.

The NYC have a very difficult job and they are probably the best police force in the nation but they need to improve. The major issue is the few percent that have continuing complaints with the civilian review board yet are allowed to remain on the force.

Old 12-29-2014, 05:13 PM

39,023 posts, read 27,418,548 times
Quote:

Goes both ways.

There are a lot of civilians on this forum alone will criticize anything CIA, military, and police officers did simply because they are CIA, military and police officers. Maybe they want to prove they are Holier-than-thou. I don't know.

You (general term you) need to be balanced and objective in order to be taken seriously. These officers turned their backs on their Commander-In-Chief, you have to wonder why. The problem also needs to be addressed. No?

Old 12-29-2014, 05:33 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,457,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
He's an authoritarian figure. Shouldn't they simply be respected no matter what?
LOL!!!. I agree completely with the bold part. However, to be fair, you might want to rethink that a bit. If you are confused, then read this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Authoritarianism

Of course we know that liberal progressives of NY are quite happy with such government as long as they are the ones at the top of the heap.

The police have my respect for turning their backs on the idiot.

Old 12-29-2014, 05:37 PM

402 posts, read 683,752 times
no. they were right, the mayor deserves this

Old 12-29-2014, 05:37 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,916,440 times
All in all I am not pro cop and I see a lot of abuse. That said, they also get slammed unjustly as is witnessed by the recent justified shootings of Michael Brown and the other shooter recently in St Louis. These two thugs got what they begged for. The one group however that I have less overall use for are our politicians. State, local and federal. They are all worthless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies