Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 04:22 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,120,494 times

Advertisements

I don't know, and I'll think about it, but I definitely don't consider him African-American. But, I am not comfortable with all the hyphens, in general. Having to work with demographic data, the categories always given me a stomach ache (not prone to headaches ), and I often received a reprimand from those guys in Washington when I would argue with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
That's an interesting observation. Would you be comfortable with describing him as an African/American?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 04:32 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Yes, the Senator has a very good resume. However, I don't consider him African American, and always find it strange when this term is used for a man whose father was African, and whose mother was born in the US.

But aside from this pickiness on my part, I think the Senator has shown he got a good education and did something with it.

And our current President had a good education and although we criticize him roundly, we can't take away from the fact that he was elected twice to the highest office in the country.

No fan; but fair is fair.

He's a first generation American on his father's side. I don't know, does he consider himself African American? I seriously don't know. I remember how much criticism Tiger Woods endured when he refused to call himself African American.

Obama earned his education, George W. Bush had his bestowed upon him. Big difference.

Old 01-05-2008, 04:38 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,120,494 times
Good question: What does he consider himself? When I worked for the St. Government, I would encourage folks to self-identify. Inter-racial or multi-ethnic people struggle with identity, and it doesn't surprise me that Tiger Woods objected to the label.

But as I said, I don't like the labels.

Do you really think that it is so simple this bestowed upon him rather than earned that is bandied around.

I loathe the way President Bush has served this country, but I wonder how much of how he behaves is a performance, a mimic of a famous cowboy or three. And not who he is!

I have some real good acquaintances from Texas who knew the President when he was Governor, and they say, repeatedly, the he is smart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
He's a first generation American on his father's side. I don't know, does he consider himself African American? I seriously don't know. I remember how much criticism Tiger Woods endured when he refused to call himself African American.

Obama earned his education, George W. Bush had his bestowed upon him. Big difference.

Old 01-05-2008, 04:40 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,801,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
That's an interesting observation. Would you be comfortable with describing him as an African/American?
Using this term for Barack is a lot more appropriate than using it for someone who happens to be black and came here via South American heritage or from the Caribbean.

Old 01-05-2008, 04:44 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
I feel confident that my Bachelor's Degree from King's College and my Master's Degree from the University of Scranton will be just as valuable to me as any degree that could be conferred by Harvard, Yale, Stanford, or Princeton. My former Calculus teacher at my alma mater scored a 1580 on her SAT and was accepted to Harvard but turned them down in order to attend Wilkes University. Is she any less deserving of a career opportunity simply because her degree isn't printed upon Ivy-league institution letterhead? I myself know many brilliant minds here at King's College, a small liberal arts school in a small city. When I'm employing associates at my future firm I'd gladly consider someone with a Bachelor's Degree from (gasp) a STATE SCHOOL just as much as I'd consider someone with the same four-year degree from an Ivy-league institution of higher learning. After all, interviewing skills are just as important as your qualifications. If you have a Harvard MBA but are as personable as a wet noodle, why should I hire you over a University of Scranton MBA who is a go-getter?
I agree. I have seen lawyers that graduated from the KU School of Law whip the socks off Havard law graduates. Ivy looks good on a resume and may get you a job in a high end law firm but it does not make you a good trial attorney.

Old 01-05-2008, 04:46 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post

If Tiger Woods or Barrack Obama go to the curb and try to hail a cab and the cab passes them by, they are "black". Tiger can call himself whatever he wants and he may even be technically correct but in the real world... different story.

Old 01-05-2008, 05:22 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
If you can still stand up and hold a beer in your hand without spilling it, you're qualified to have an opinion. Being found curled up in the fetal position on the floor of a men's room stall might be a disqualifying factor, however. In that case, we'll be having no more opinions from you...
Was that directed at me?

Old 01-05-2008, 06:34 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
Better CNBC than "Faux NEWS"...
Basically all of those stations report the same news. The fact that Fox News doesn't put a liberal spin on it seems to upset some people and they call it "fake."
Also, the fact that Fox News has far higher ratings than the other stations upsets others and they have to bash it.

Old 01-05-2008, 06:42 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,985,006 times
[QUOTE=KevK;2427933]If Tiger Woods or Barrack Obama go to the curb and try to hail a cab and the cab passes them by, they are "black". Tiger can call himself whatever he wants and he may even be technically correct but in the real world... different story.[/quote]

Very true. Society deems you what you are no matter how/what you think.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:51 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,438,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Basically all of those stations report the same news. The fact that Fox News doesn't put a liberal spin on it seems to upset some people and they call it "fake."
Also, the fact that Fox News has far higher ratings than the other stations upsets others and they have to bash it.
I am not upset at all
I find it amusing that people that watch Fox news make remarks about CNBC...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies