Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2014, 10:53 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
Let's recap your ignorance about firearms..

First you thought guns are shipped to your home when buying online. Wrong.
Then you thought the 2a was only for the military. Wrong.
Then you thought this Kellerman study was accurate. Then the author changed his view. Wrong.
Then you thought if a home invasion happens, you should not defend your family because they never want to kill you and you should curl up in a ball and beg for mercy while they rape your wife and leave no witnesses. Wrong.
You thought a civilian "assault" rifle operates like its military counterpart. Wrong, they just look alike. that's what the anti gun folks hope you believe so you join their cause.
he is wrong on so many counts isnt he?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggboxes View Post
I know a lot about guns.

I know they kill 30,000 people a year.

I know that they kill more people in America than in the rest of the civilized world combined

I know a lot about assault rifles, mainly, that they are used for war, and for mass murder, and nothing else.
really? you know a lot about guns do you? alright then what is the difference between a .308 winchester round, and and a 7.62x51mm nato round? or what is the difference between a .556 nato round and a .223 round? how about the difference between a .45acp round and a .45 colt round? and please, no one else but eggboxes answer these questions, no need to give him any help since he seems to know it all.

Old 12-22-2014, 10:58 PM

91 posts, read 50,991 times
Quote:
Over 80 percent of those deaths are committed by gangbangers, not responsible gun owners.
You are not going to disarm the criminals so what would you achieve by taking guns from the law abiding? Except to make them more vulnerable.
We would stop the flow of "legal guns" to the black market where criminals get their guns

Old 12-22-2014, 11:01 PM

91 posts, read 50,991 times
I'm going to bed now. We can continue this thread tomorrow, or we can move on to different topics, both related and unrelated to guns.

BTW: none of you has positively refuted Kellerman yet, so the "43 times" study is valid until proven otherwise.

Old 12-22-2014, 11:03 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
I'm going to bed now. We can continue this thread tomorrow, or we can move on to different topics, both related and unrelated to guns.

BTW: none of you has positively refuted Kellerman yet, so the "43 times" study is valid until proven otherwise.
right, despite the fact that kellerman recanted, but you came up with some conspiracy scenario that the NRA pressured him into changing his study results, or some such garbage.

Old 12-22-2014, 11:41 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,803,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
he is wrong on so many counts isnt he?

really? you know a lot about guns do you? alright then what is the difference between a .308 winchester round, and and a 7.62x51mm nato round? or what is the difference between a .556 nato round and a .223 round? how about the difference between a .45acp round and a .45 colt round? and please, no one else but eggboxes answer these questions, no need to give him any help since he seems to know it all.

None of that matters...all guns are bad.
He wants em all gone. He said so.
He's got his study and you ain't gonna change his mind.
He doesn't care that more people are killed with hammers than rifles.

Old 12-23-2014, 12:25 AM

3,702 posts, read 4,851,427 times
Wow! I wasn't tired tonight so this thread has kept me pretty entertained while staying up.

Old 12-23-2014, 06:09 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Ok.

Personally, it is still shocking that any civilized nation allows its people to buy military weaponry online, even with a background check... but for the intents of this thread, I'll admit you are right.

It is shocking as well that people who voted for Obama still have voting rights (they revoke driver's licenses for people driving drunk, don't they?), but those are the laws, despite them sometimes not making perfect sense.

Old 12-23-2014, 06:53 AM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Fun doesn't justify the 30,000 deaths a year
What deaths are suicide?

You cannot use suicide to prove a point....about guns...

Old 12-23-2014, 06:54 AM

29,486 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Let's recap your ignorance about firearms..

First you thought guns are shipped to your home when buying online. Wrong.
Then you thought the 2a was only for the military. Wrong.
Then you thought this Kellerman study was accurate. Then the author changed his view. Wrong.
Then you thought if a home invasion happens, you should not defend your family because they never want to kill you and you should curl up in a ball and beg for mercy while they rape your wife and leave no witnesses. Wrong.
You thought a civilian "assault" rifle operates like its military counterpart. Wrong, they just look alike. that's what the anti gun folks hope you believe so you join their cause.
As much as I want to be angry at this person, I have to just step back and feel sorry for how ignorant they are, they actually go thru life everyday believing this BS. They've bought into the fear , the hype, couple that with the lack of knowledge on the subject and look what has been created. Sadly our society seems to be breeding more and more people like this. Everyone has a choice, I could care less if this person ever arms themself and actually am glad since I can see they base all their decisions off of emotion, not a good choice if armed. What I don't like is this person trying force their choice onto anyone else that will listen. Another scary thing is this person is a social worker... actually talking with the public and spewing their useless fear based rhetoric to others.
Hopefully this person never learns the hard way , never has to watch their significant other being raped and killed in front of them while they are powerless to do anything, never has to hunt to provide food so the family doesn't starve to death , never hands over their money/belongings to some thug and still ends up dead because they chose the path of the weak.
I just can't wrap my head around how people like this function thru life. How they believe the lies. I guess it's simple, one thought process is logic and common sense based while the other is fear and emotionally driven.

Old 12-23-2014, 07:55 AM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
As much as I want to be angry at this person, I have to just step back and feel sorry for how ignorant they are, they actually go thru life everyday believing this BS. They've bought into the fear , the hype, couple that with the lack of knowledge on the subject and look what has been created. Sadly our society seems to be breeding more and more people like this. Everyone has a choice, I could care less if this person ever arms themself and actually am glad since I can see they base all their decisions off of emotion, not a good choice if armed. What I don't like is this person trying force their choice onto anyone else that will listen. Another scary thing is this person is a social worker... actually talking with the public and spewing their useless fear based rhetoric to others.
Hopefully this person never learns the hard way , never has to watch their significant other being raped and killed in front of them while they are powerless to do anything, never has to hunt to provide food so the family doesn't starve to death , never hands over their money/belongings to some thug and still ends up dead because they chose the path of the weak.
I just can't wrap my head around how people like this function thru life. How they believe the lies. I guess it's simple, one thought process is logic and common sense based while the other is fear and emotionally driven.
Well stated. Couldn't agree more. The opinions, expressed by the OP, do indeed, reflect a dangerous ignorance of the real world. Amongst certain people, the notion that responding to violence with violence is a sin of mortal implications, has grown into a disease. As you say, these people have never, actually, seen, let alone faced, that beast, so they stand judgement, touting their "enlightenment" and superior intellect as their core premise.

To them, the thought of defending oneself by means of violence is a pariah . That is because they don't understand the level of violence, mayhem and downright cruelty , the criminal element is capable of. I wonder, truly, would they REALLY just go fetal or drop into supplication if they were to be attacked? Even if they had means of defense, such as a firearm, within reach?

Would their mind be telling them their attacker is really not a bad person, that they are just misunderstood, and that total capitulation will, no doubt, satisfy them and stop any physical attack? I do wish them luck with that. A line from Troy comes to mind. , when Hector and Achilles faced each other, and Hector pleaded with Achilles for compassion. The reply was "There are no pacts between Lions and Men". Thus it has always been, thus will it always be.

The arguments, presented by the OP here, show a frightening ignorance of both firearms law and the people who own and use firearms(and other weapons) , within that law, for defensive purpose. These views expressed are an anethema to the leftist view that education walks hand in hand with enlightenment,. Since an obvious lack of education and knowledge , of the subject at hand, stands out like a pyre in the dark, I wonder how we are expected to give said views any credibility, at all.

This equates to a silk suit, apartment dwelling , desk bound , think tank type, attempting to tell an honest, real deal, cowboy, how to saddle a horse. It should come as no surprise that a look of incredulity and utter confusion , greets the presentation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies