U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 02:12 AM

13,900 posts, read 10,783,547 times

Advertisements

Just trying to get a grasp on the double-standard employed by our resident Liberals here. Let's think back to when Jared Loughner shot Az. Congresswoman Gabby Giffords. Conservative rhetoric was blamed, including that of Sarah Palin where "crosshairs" were superimposed on a map of the Congresswoman's district....

Or how about an incident that happened in Las Vegas this year and was in fact very similar to what happened in NYC this weekend. A man shot two officers, eating their lunch, and then proceeded to a nearby Wal-Mart where he declared the start of his own personal "revolution" before killing himself. Within hours of the story breaking, our Liberal friends on here speculated that "he was probably a Right wing nut job".... Then, after it was revealed that the shooter had spent time on the Cliven Bundy ranch when that whole mess was going on, our Liberal friends REALLY had a hay day with it.

But now that the shoe is squarely on the other foot, and we have a clear cut case of a deranged lunatic killing two cops who, according to his Twitter postings, obviously subscribed to leftist rhetoric over the killings of Michael Brown and Eric Garner, they're suddenly singing a different tune. Now they say there's no WAY you can blame biased rhetoric from Rev. Sharpton or Jessie Jackson for what this nut did. There's no WAY you can blame comments from the POTUS, the AG and even the mayor of NYC that basically call out cops as being biased and racist. There's no WAY you can blame protestors who shout a demand for dead cops now, for what this despicable killer did.

Why is Conservative rhetoric a problem, but Liberal rhetoric is not? Why the change of heart? Or is it just hypocrisy?

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 12-23-2014 at 02:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2014, 02:21 AM

46,053 posts, read 29,514,457 times
I don't recall Sharpton, Jackson, Obama, Holder, or de Blasio calling for people to take action by shooting an officer. With that said, yes, you are seeing conservatives do the same as what liberals did when Giffords was shot. Neither is right, and the answer is that this would be a sign of hypocrisy from both sides.

Palin wasn't responsible for Giffords being shot, nor should any blood be on Palin's hands. Now I am not a Palin fan, and I think she has done lots of stupid things, but I don't think she would ever call for anyone to be physically harmed and neither would Sharpton, Jackson, Obama, Holder, or de Blasio.

Old 12-23-2014, 02:32 AM

13,900 posts, read 10,783,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I don't recall Sharpton, Jackson, Obama, Holder, or de Blasio calling for people to take action by shooting an officer. With that said, yes, you are seeing conservatives do the same as what liberals did when Giffords was shot. Neither is right, and the answer is that this would be a sign of hypocrisy from both sides.

Palin wasn't responsible for Giffords being shot, nor should any blood be on Palin's hands. Now I am not a Palin fan, and I think she has done lots of stupid things, but I don't think she would ever call for anyone to be physically harmed and neither would Sharpton, Jackson, Obama, Holder, or de Blasio.
Thanks for that very honest, unbiased answer. I agree. Both sides can be hypocritical.

Old 12-23-2014, 05:40 AM

6,850 posts, read 6,186,695 times
I think a lot of this has to do with the conservatives embracing the gun culture. So when someone uses firearms for mass murder it is easy to put the blame on people who support the gun culture.

The libs should make a rule that all their mass murderers should be banned from using guns. These guys should lose their liberal card on principle. Use a gun to kill people? You were never a "true liberal" you see.

It's no different than when the conservatives take the shooter off of their 'responsible gun owner' list.

Old 12-23-2014, 05:43 AM

9,472 posts, read 5,902,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Just trying to get a grasp on the double-standard employed by our resident Liberals here. Let's think back to when Jared Loughner shot Az. Congresswoman Gabby Giffords. Conservative rhetoric was blamed, including that of Sarah Palin where "crosshairs" were superimposed on a map of the Congresswoman's district....

Or how about an incident that happened in Las Vegas this year and was in fact very similar to what happened in NYC this weekend. A man shot two officers, eating their lunch, and then proceeded to a nearby Wal-Mart where he declared the start of his own personal "revolution" before killing himself. Within hours of the story breaking, our Liberal friends on here speculated that "he was probably a Right wing nut job".... Then, after it was revealed that the shooter had spent time on the Cliven Bundy ranch when that whole mess was going on, our Liberal friends REALLY had a hay day with it.

But now that the shoe is squarely on the other foot, and we have a clear cut case of a deranged lunatic killing two cops who, according to his Twitter postings, obviously subscribed to leftist rhetoric over the killings of Michael Brown and Eric Garner, they're suddenly singing a different tune. Now they say there's no WAY you can blame biased rhetoric from Rev. Sharpton or Jessie Jackson for what this nut did. There's no WAY you can blame comments from the POTUS, the AG and even the mayor of NYC that basically call out cops as being biased and racist. There's no WAY you can blame protestors who shout a demand for dead cops now, for what this despicable killer did.

Why is Conservative rhetoric a problem, but Liberal rhetoric is not? Why the change of heart? Or is it just hypocrisy?
Hypocrisy is one of the most vital parts of liberalism.

Old 12-23-2014, 05:44 AM

2,265 posts, read 2,773,612 times
Quote:

Liberal Democrats are crooked liars who support crooked lying politicians. Why would you expect any common sense from these morons?

Old 12-23-2014, 05:45 AM

9,472 posts, read 5,902,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I think a lot of this has to do with the conservatives embracing the gun culture. So when someone uses firearms for mass murder it is easy to put the blame on people who support the gun culture.

The libs should make a rule that all their mass murderers should be banned from using guns. These guys should lose their liberal card on principle. Use a gun to kill people? You were never a "true liberal" you see.
What is "the gun culture"? And what is your evidence that I embrace it?

Old 12-23-2014, 05:53 AM

25,059 posts, read 23,165,304 times
Why do people pigeonhole others into their neat little boxes? Everybody crosses over on issues, I certainly do. I'm centrist, but I still believe in the 2A but I don't believe anyone and everyone should be allowed to own a gun; I'm an environmentalist but I don't believe AGW is real, I'm a Christian and social conservative but I think we need to have welfare and Social Security, I think our medical system should stay private but the prices be strictly regulated and set by the states with the states and feds paying for 100% the cost of procedures, and everyone pays premiums, not out of taxes so everyone has a say in how the system is run, etc. The middle path is always the best

Old 12-23-2014, 06:02 AM

30,193 posts, read 16,624,133 times
Quote:

Hypocrisy. And, they thought you wouldn't notice.

The recent NYPD killings were the direct result of Leftist race-baiting and stoking the flames of racism by Barack Obama, Eric Holder, Al (the charlatan) Sharpton, and that whole bunch, including some in Congress, like Congresswoman Fudge, D-OH. The blood of these to officers is on their hands.

Old 12-23-2014, 06:07 AM

2,778 posts, read 1,426,689 times
Why is it that conservatives seem to think 'liberals' are obligated to defend each and every single other person who might hold or think they hold similar beliefs?

Most shooters have no political affiliation, unless you count 'hating everything' as a political stance.

Breivik's rampage was the most truly political shooting I can think of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or