Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2014, 11:05 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Are you saying that a middle ground exists between created and not created?
No. I am saying that you have put yourself into a box that requires an either/or answer.

I'm not in that box.

“Now, my own suspicion is that the universe is not only queerer than we suppose, but queerer than we can suppose. I have read and heard many attempts at a systematic account of it, from materialism and theosophy to the Christian system or that of Kant, and I have always felt that they were much too simple. I suspect that there are more things in heaven and earth that are dreamed of, or can be dreamed of, in any philosophy. That is the reason why I have no philosophy myself, and must be my excuse for dreaming.”
― J.B.S. Haldane, Possible Worlds

(I added the bold.)

Edited to add - I think of the universe as a process, a verb, a fluid becoming; created or not created seem to me more like nouns, which are limited by definition.

Old 12-25-2014, 11:06 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,525,531 times
[quote=momonkey;37772534]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
There was a time when lightning was believed to be God's wrath. As it turns out, those who just knew it wasn't god were correct.[/q

If you see a piece of paper under your vehicle`s wiper blade that someone says is a parking ticket but it turns out to be a flier for a local nail salon, does that mean police don`t exist?
funny stuff, momonkey. i ride an ultra limited. no wiper blade.

Old 12-25-2014, 11:08 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,525,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
In the end of the day, all the matter is that you are a good person and good to others.
Someone said the same thing two millennia ago. I don't recall him having an interest in cosmology.

Old 12-25-2014, 11:10 PM

1,805 posts, read 1,466,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
"No doubt"?
Science is built on doubt. Religion would exclude doubt. Just look at the fuss relgionists raise when anyone calls into doubt the existance of "god".

Old 12-25-2014, 11:36 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,256,089 times
What is it with liberals and especially liberal atheists who get their feelers so offended by Christians...but get their panties all wadded up while making sure those detained Muslim terrorists (who would kill you and yours in a heartbeat...your sympathy for their plight is lost on them) get their "book of Allah", mats to pray on 20x a day, don't have to deal with a female interrogator or a USA military chick delivering them their food 3x a day, aren't forced to shave those very long and gross flavor savors off of their face, forced to cut their flowing locks while locked up...because they are entitled to their religion and their religion should be RESPECTED!

Talk about making no sense.

You can't have it every which way you want.

Old 12-25-2014, 11:37 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,185,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
What is it with liberals and especially liberal atheists who get their feelers so offended by Christians...but get their panties all wadded up while making sure those detained Muslim terrorists (who would kill you and yours in a heartbeat...your sympathy for their plight is lost on them) get their "book of Allah", mats to pray on 20x a day, don't have to deal with a female interrogator or a USA military chick delivering them their food 3x a day, aren't forced to shave those very long and gross flavor savors off of their face, forced to cut their flowing locks while locked up...because they are entitled to their religion and their religion should be RESPECTED!

lol

You seem to have respecting your religion confused with running the country according to your theology.

Old 12-26-2014, 12:06 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:

For a group of people that looks down on Muslims, you folks spend an awful lot of time comparing yourselves to them. Most Liberal atheists find all religions to be equally silly, but you guys can only seem to obsess over our insouciance towards Islam.

It's like you won't be happy until we single out Muslims for ridicule. Then, i guess you guys can feel better about yourselves.

Old 12-26-2014, 01:21 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,884,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0marvin0 View Post
Science is built on doubt. Religion would exclude doubt. Just look at the fuss relgionists raise when anyone calls into doubt the existance of "god".
Look at the fuss people make when others doubt man-made global warming.

Old 12-26-2014, 02:25 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,476,501 times
Quote:
I'm not particularly adamant about guaranteeing any of those things. I'd be satisfied with merely prosecuting torturers.

Old 12-26-2014, 03:34 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,851,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I care less what others believe and I don't understand why others care so much about what other's believe.
Well said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies