Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 08:53 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,675,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Butterfly View Post
I love early 60s' style in cars, music, clothes, furniture, etc. The economy was pretty good too; it's weird to think that people used to go around with real 90% silver dimes and quarters in their pockets. But in many ways it's been pretty much downhill since JFK's assassination, sadly, and it doesn't seem like what we lost is ever going to come back.

The period in question was also the golden age of the wooden pleasure boat. Magnificent vessels from Chris*Craft, Matthews, Wheeler, Owens, Elco, and many others. The wonderful Detroit Diesel 71 series engines were also showing up in pleasure boats during this era.

Also those great mahogany speedboats from Chris*Craft, Century, and GarWood were plentiful. I wish I had been of age back then...I would have tried to fill a barn with them. They're worth a bundle today...especially the 1955 Chris*Craft Cobra with the big Cadillac motor in it.

My boat, a 1967 57 foot Chris*Craft Constellation, was built at the tail end of the wooden boat era. Sadly, I can cruise for months without seeing another large wooden yacht out on the water.

"If God meant for us to have fiberglass boats, He would have made fiberglass trees"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2014, 09:01 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
My opinion that the past was better was not based on the lack of medical advances back then. Of course today, is a better time for healthcare.
Of course 'back then' my doctor's first question to me was what's troubling you?, now it's what insurance do you have?

I'm not so sure it's possible to say one period in time was better than another. Often, for every improvement in one area there's another that's gotten a little worse. Things are what they are, we have little choice but to start there and try to improve things.

Old 12-26-2014, 09:14 AM

3,304 posts, read 2,172,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Continue forward. This American of white European ancestry is ashamed of the Jim Crow era. Ashamed of an era when an educated female's highest possible position was secretary, who had better do whatever (inappropriate) the boss wanted.
Being ashamed of something that you didn't do isn't noble. It's actually a sign of mental derangement.

Old 12-26-2014, 09:41 AM

62,952 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
Being ashamed of something that you didn't do isn't noble. It's actually a sign of mental derangement.
Agreed. If you played no part in it there is no reason for "you" personally to be ashamed. Bleeding heart liberals who fit that type do have a mental problem, IMO.

Old 12-26-2014, 09:56 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Those years were truly the greatest in our history. It has been a downhill slide ever since. Now, all we ever hope for is change - a change that never comes.

Old 12-26-2014, 10:03 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
I'll remember that the next time someone tries to blame all black people for something one person did.

Old 12-26-2014, 10:10 AM

3,304 posts, read 2,172,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I'll remember that the next time someone tries to blame all black people for something one person did.
Sure, pack that nugget in your knapsack.

Old 12-26-2014, 10:25 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
I would take that option too, this country is going down the crapper, attitudes, sense of entitlement, decline in quality of life more so in the major cities. Even the 1980s was a far better period of time than today.
People have been saying the country is going into the crapper since day 1.

Old 12-26-2014, 10:26 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,549,515 times
The future, without a doubt.

I'd never pass up a chance into the unknown.

Old 12-26-2014, 10:33 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Sure, pack that nugget in your knapsack.
So things like that don't happen, especially on this forum? I see a whole lot of hypocrisy here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies