Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2014, 01:43 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,371,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
LOL..i don't think the OP was living them though. I think he's just nostalgic based on an unrealistic perception of life at the time.

That's not to say that 46-64 didn't have their moments of glory. The United States in particular was unchallenged as a powerful country (the Soviets despite what people think didn't come close to matching up), but that also led to a lot of bad behavior on our country's part. Behavior that we're paying dearly for right now.

But like i said before, if you were young during that time, obviously you yearn for a time when life was much simpler. I don't think it's really a yearning for the times more than a yearning to live those youthful memories again.

I'm a 70's-early 80's kid, and there are things about that time that i miss dearly. But that has a lot more to do with the fact that i had an incredible childhood with great parents and extended family. I also feel as if i lived in the best place in the whole world for a kid to grow up in. Spent my school year with my dad in Arizona and summers in Michigan with my mom. I got to go to college right down the street from my home. Life was great.

But i can remember Vietnam, Watergate, gas crisis, inflation, decline of the manufacturing base and huge loss of jobs, busing riots, and the Reagan attempted assassination. My uncle came back from Vietnam so unstable and traumatized that he jumped out of his crane at work and shattered both of his legs and hips. Wheelchair bound for life.

But that's the nature of humans when we look back. We tend to block out the bad things.
You nailed it about a simpler life. Fewer choices to be sure but easier and more comfortable as a result. But the façade began to crack in '63 with Kenney's assassination, Bobby's and MLK's thereafter. Vietnam expanding into an out-and-out war for us (my military years were '66 to '69 then '73 to '79), the Equal Rights marches and movement, hippies, drug wars and all the rest. Yeah, before all that, times were simpler. But that's not to say better for all by
any means.

Now at age 68, who knows what's to come and how much of it I'll live to see. I'm just thankful to be alive and comfortably retired out in the boondocks of these here Ozarks.

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 12-26-2014 at 03:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2014, 01:56 PM

57,022 posts, read 35,072,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
You mailed it about a simpler life. Fewer choices to be sure but easier and more comfortable as a result. But the façade began to crack in '63 with Kenney's assassination, Bobby's and MLK's thereafter. Vietnam expanding into an out-and-out war for us (my military years were '66 to '69 then '73 to '79), the Equal Rights marches and movement, hippies, drug wars and all the rest. Yeah, before all that, times were simpler. But that's not to say better for all by
any means.

Now at age 68, who knows what's to come and how much of it I'll live to see. I'm just thankful to be alive and comfortably retired out in the boondocks of these here Ozarks.
The Kennedy assassination definitely busted the facade wide open. When i look at that time in history, it must've seemed unimaginable that something like that could happen in this country after coming out of the '50s.

The Kennedy assassination rankles me almost as if it happened yesterday and i lived through it. It actually makes me angry because i think the Warren Commission either intentionally dropped the ball because they felt that Americans couldn't handle the truth, or they were so goddamn inept that the report should've been rejected by Johnson and the whole commission fired. The "Lone Nut" thing irritates me to no end. And worse, people who in my opinion know better are all dying off if they aren't dead already. Everything is going according to plan IMO, and i'm busting a blood vessel over it.

LOL..i'm getting p*ssed off just posting about the topic.

Old 12-26-2014, 02:04 PM

9,879 posts, read 7,995,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KungFuMaster View Post
I lived in that time and let me just say it was an unforgettable experience. You knew your neighbors; you didn't just see them as irritants or potential lawsuits. Getting a job was as easy as going down to the nearest store and getting to know the store owner. Life was simpler and yet more meaningful.
I think it depends on your circumstance. If you were a divorced single woman with children it was not the nicest time for you. If you were black, it wasn't the nicest time for you. If you suffered post traumatic stress syndrome from WWII, it wasn't the nicest time for you. If you were gay, it wasn't the nicest time for you. If you weren't... well you get the picture.

But I wold have liked to live as an adult then; to see/buy everything as it was so new and exciting.
I would have died for a poodle skirt and some saddle shoes They were just too cool Not to mention babydoll pajamas for women. If I had known they would stop making them, I would have stole every pair my mom ever owned

Old 12-26-2014, 02:16 PM

29,982 posts, read 18,558,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
Being ashamed of something that you didn't do isn't noble. It's actually a sign of mental derangement.

Words of wisdom-

Libs are so confused and alien to rational thought that they feel "guilty" about transgressions no one today has committed and cannot be "undone", due to the laws of physics.

Want to hear irrational, meandering train of thought? Talk to a liberal.

Old 12-26-2014, 02:44 PM

2,616 posts, read 2,392,476 times
I want to go back to being a little kid, because being an adult is scary.

Old 12-26-2014, 02:47 PM

68,297 posts, read 54,147,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Words of wisdom-

Libs are so confused and alien to rational thought that they feel "guilty" about transgressions no one today has committed and cannot be "undone", due to the laws of physics.

When will the promised "Words of wisdom" appear?

Old 12-26-2014, 02:48 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,504,924 times
Quote:
Words of wisdom-

Yep, because stereotyping is soooooo rational.

Old 12-26-2014, 03:03 PM

9,879 posts, read 7,995,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baxendale View Post
I want to go back to being a little kid, because being an adult is scary.
Practically latch key, even at school, it seems pretty scary to be a kid in 2014.

I remember when we were kids, we slept in the backyard in a tent or pop up camper and
didn't think twice about being abducted. But ever since the Polly Klaas incident in the '90's,
parents think twice. Add in all the cases that followed, and well,

It's just plain scary for a lot of folks - adults and kids, these days...

Old 12-26-2014, 03:12 PM

2,777 posts, read 1,774,417 times
Quote:
Words of wisdom-

It's amazing just how many 'rational' conservative posts are motivated by a blind, unapologetically stupid hatred of liberals.

Old 12-26-2014, 04:23 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,807,904 times
What future? By time it gets here it becomes the past in the next instant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies