Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 10:42 AM

15,625 posts, read 10,380,316 times

Advertisements

Noooooo, I would not want to live perpetually between 1946-64. Women could look forward to being a wife, nurse, or teacher prior to 1964.

We have women astronauts, CEOs, scientists, managing directors....... Our career and life choices are infinite now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2014, 11:29 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
What caught my attention is the "imagine (g) living in", in your par for the course, angry black man rant. Sounds like you have no direct experience. Its an opinion, just not valid, as it requires dependence on hearsay, reimagined history, and a certain political slant. A few anecdotal retold tales tossed in for good measure, some of which had a basis in reality, most of which did not.

Yeah, you're a real good commentator on what is and is not.
LOL...please post something that makes sense. You must be using your phone or something.

"Angry black man rant?"

I know. We're supposed to do a little dance for you, show our teeth and maybe even offer you a shoeshine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
That was the golden age for Detroit.
And? I'm sure it was the golden age for lots of places. Why would i care about that? I care about my civil/constitutional rights. Not how many cars Chrysler is pumping out.

Besides, i'm from Arizona.
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
People have been saying the country is going into the crapper since day 1.
Yep. I'm sure people in 1800 were already talking about how the country was going to hell in a handbasket.

Same old spiel. Everyone thinks yesteryear was better than the present time. Total bull.

Old 12-26-2014, 11:31 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,095,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KungFuMaster View Post
I'd chose the 1946-1964 option. I wouldn't fear death because I knew I lived heaven every remaining day.
As a gay man, I think I'd rather kill myself then be forced to live in that time period.

Old 12-26-2014, 12:07 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
My opinion that the past was better was not based on the lack of medical advances back then. Of course today, is a better time for healthcare.
So you'd like the culture (if you can call it that) of that period with all the advances we have now. There were no home computers then, no internet, no CD.

Old 12-26-2014, 12:08 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,171,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
So things like that don't happen, especially on this forum? I see a whole lot of hypocrisy here.
Are there a lot of Blacks blaming themselves for the actions of other Blacks? That idea seems to be in direct conflict with actual reality.

Old 12-26-2014, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
As a gay man, I think I'd rather kill myself then be forced to live in that time period.
It really was a pretty crappy time in our history. I can't figure out for the life of me why someone would pick those particular years. Folks forget how tumultuous they were because they spend too much time watching Happy Days and The Donna Reed Show.

Old 12-26-2014, 12:28 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
I was born in San Diego in '46. Graduated from high school in '64. In the intervening 18 years lived in southern California, mainland China, AL, NC, Japan, VA, MN and back to southern California. I loved those years and the adventure of them as well as the society in which I lived. I would have no trouble repeating them. However, I am also aware of the inequality that existed during those times for blacks, other races, women, et al. Those would not bear repeating.

Old 12-26-2014, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I was born in San Diego in '46. Graduated from high school in '64. In the intervening 18 years lived in southern California, mainland China, AL, NC, Japan, VA, MN and back to southern California. I loved those years and the adventure of them as well as the society in which I lived. I would have no trouble repeating them. However, I am also aware of the inequality that existed during those times for blacks, other races, women, et al. Those would not bear repeating.
They're your halcyon years...you SHOULD look very fondly on them. Makes sense. Our youth should be the apotheosis of carefree living. You're healthy, unencumbered, naive, and curious. And hopefully, you weren't jaded or cynical. I know i wasn't.

Sure, inequality existed, but it's not as if YOU created that inequality. It was just an existential problem but i'm sure that it wasn't a part of your world as you knew it. Most people when they're young are oblivious to injustice going on around them.

The people i don't understand are the people that didn't live in those years and have the benefit of historical hindsight...they should know better.

In any case, there's no time better than the present to me.

Old 12-26-2014, 12:36 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,850,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I agree. I'd like to move ahead 10 more years to 2025 and hopefully experience a world much kinder to minorities. The future will be exciting and I can't wait to experience it.

Old 12-26-2014, 12:58 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,060,434 times
Naw, it's in the tone of your posts. It is just your schtick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
LOL...please post something that makes sense. You must be using your phone or something.

"Angry black man rant?"

I know. We're supposed to do a little dance for you, show our teeth and maybe even offer you a shoeshine.

And? I'm sure it was the golden age for lots of places. Why would i care about that? I care about my civil/constitutional rights. Not how many cars Chrysler is pumping out.

Besides, i'm from Arizona.

Yep. I'm sure people in 1800 were already talking about how the country was going to hell in a handbasket.

Same old spiel. Everyone thinks yesteryear was better than the present time. Total bull.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies