Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 06:10 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,301,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
What exactly is torture?

Is it a little water in the nose?

Is torture being made to wear woman's panties on top of your head?

What exactly is it we did that some people claim is torture?
We're supposed to be kind to our enemies, and ask them nicely for the information they have that will help us defeat them.

Liberals are so messed up in the head. Their bottomless stupidity will be the death of America. But that's what they want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 06:30 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,932,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Many Americans including this one think that "torture" implies more than splashing a little water on someone's face or making them stand naked in a corner. As long as a prisoner still has his toes, fingers, ears, eyes, tongue and genitalia he has not been tortured.
I agree.

But a few think making a terrorist Mohammadan smell bacon grease is torture.

If it were up to me I'd cook everything served up at Club Gitmo cooked in bacon grease and I would advertise it.

Old 12-27-2014, 07:36 AM

57,263 posts, read 26,192,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Reagan would not have defined what was done to these dirtbags as "torture"......neither do most clear thinking Americans. Hence the reason that a majority don't have an issue with it.
The Regan administration should not be our standard for intervention in foreign countries, I recall Gerald Ford putting an end to assassinations of foreign leaders we didn't like. That was the impetus for the Church Committee to investigate the CIA but then came Reagan and we went back in time.

Old 12-27-2014, 07:38 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
please, we hung Japanese for crimes against humanity since their invasion of China and Southeast Asia. What they did to civilian populations and the torture against our soldiers which was brutal.
Waterboard torture alone was enough to bring them the death penalty.

Old 12-27-2014, 07:45 AM

57,263 posts, read 26,192,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Please do not compare apples to oranges. Japanese-American citizens during WWII were not terrorists, they were not even terror suspects. The government had absolutely no business putting all these American citizens in internment camp. I am Japanese/Hawaiian/German/Irish, I have had one relative who lived through internment camp. She was a baby back then. Name ONE Guantanamo bay detainee who was a baby. Just ONE.

America has already learned her lesson. That is why you don't see any Muslim-Americans in internment camp.

But comparing Japanese-American citizens during WWII to Guantanamo bay detainees is the biggest insult.

Al Ajmi, Abdullah Saleh Ali - detainee - Killed himself in a suicide attack in Iraq in April 2008 in which seven others died.

He didn't deserve a little bit of waterboarding? Seriously?
No we didn't place them in internment camps, I was using WW2 as an example of an overreaction with respect to the Japanese citizens but at least that was a real war and we didn't torture suspects or hold them without trial. Now we have secret prisons in foreign countries and torture has become acceptable as part of "the War on Terror".

Old 12-27-2014, 07:50 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Great-

If these individuals or nations are threatening the US or US citizens, I am all for torturing them, their family, and everyone they ever knew.

Let us simply learn from the experience of the old USSR when four of thier diplomats were captured (and one killed) in Lebanon. All it took was the testicles of five associates of the kidnappers delivered to those kidnappers (along with the names and addresses of 120 of their relatives) to persuade them to see the side or reason and compassion.

I say not only torture the perpetrators, but start in really, really hurting their families, relatives, friends, and everyone they ever knew in their lifetime.

Following the example of the Russians in this form of "diplomacy" seems to be what they understand.
I suppose your own family s fair game too if someone thinks cutting off their body parts migh save US lives.

Old 12-27-2014, 07:50 AM

45,230 posts, read 26,431,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Reagan would not have defined what was done to these dirtbags as "torture"......neither do most clear thinking Americans. Hence the reason that a majority don't have an issue with it.
Since you know so much;
Can you explain why waterboarding was considered torture and an offense punishable by death when the Japanese did it to our troops, but when its done by us its called enhanced interrogation and no longer an "issue"?

Old 12-27-2014, 07:53 AM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
No we didn't place them in internment camps, I was using WW2 as an example of an overreaction with respect to the Japanese citizens but at least that was a real war and we didn't torture suspects or hold them without trial. Now we have secret prisons in foreign countries and torture has become acceptable as part of "the War on Terror".
Guantanamo Bay detention camp is not a secret camp. What have been done to the detainees are all over youtube.

You are still comparing Japanese Americans during WWII to terror suspects.

I found it insulting.

If you must compare something happened decades ago to what is happening now (quite frankly I am sick and tired of people always compare 911 attack to pearl harbor when pearl harbor attack was the attack of Ford Island Naval Air Station. and 911 attack is to the civilians) Why don't you comparing Japanese-American citizens to Muslim-American citizens. Your government put all west coast Japanese American citizens in internment camp, we no longer put Muslim-American citizens in internment camp.

So American government has definitely learned her lesson. You can't judge history using perfect 20/20 hindsight. Eventually, all people need to just move on without dwelling on the past.

Yeah, we executed Japanese for waterboarding American POWs. Too damn bad, the Japanese lost war and they got caught. War is dirty business. If the Japanese didn't want to be executed, Maybe they shouldn't have started the damn war and put all their Japanese citizens in jeopardy.

Don't want waterboarding, don't be a terrorist, problem solved.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 12-27-2014 at 08:15 AM..

Old 12-27-2014, 08:36 AM

3,401 posts, read 2,284,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
I don't believe that "waterboarding" is torture.
So what? It is.

Quote:
Torture has been redefined by the Left to satisfy their campaign against our military leaders.
No, it was worthless Republican scum that tried that.

Quote:

The most notorious document among the memos drafted by President Bush's legal advisers as they analyzed how far the U.S. could go to extract intelligence from those captured in the war on terror is known as the "Bybee memo." (PDF File) Some call it the "torture memo."
The Aug. 1, 2002 memo, sent from Assistant Attorney General Jay S. Bybee to Alberto R. Gonzales, counsel to the president, parsed the language of a 1994 statute that ratified the United Nations Convention against Torture and made the commitment of torture a crime. To be torture, the memo concluded, physical pain must be "equivalent in intensity to the pain accompanying serious physical injury, such as organ failure, impairment of bodily function, or even death." And inflicting that severe pain, according to the memo, must have been the "specific intent" of the defendant to amount to a violation of the statute.

Analysis - Redefining Torture? | The Torture Question | FRONTLINE | PBS

Quote:
The Left has joined with our enemies to do us harm.
I agree. People who criticize Republicans should be jailed. The charge should be "hating freedom".

Old 12-27-2014, 10:34 AM

6,205 posts, read 7,458,627 times
Torture may or may not be right (in my opinion it depends on circumstances).
Deceiving and lying about it is the bad part. Demanding others not practice it while you do it everyday is hypocritical.
What about those radio talkshow hosts who volunteered to be waterboarded just to demonstrate it isn't that bad,
and millions believing them, being convinced the US isn't treating its prisoners wrong.
Today people in many parts of the world found Isis to be more reliable and they believe them more than US official announcements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies