Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 08:39 PM

6,032 posts, read 9,210,341 times

Advertisements

Sharpton's taxes are not his own money, they are the payroll withholdings from employee's of NAN that were withheld from their checks to be remitted to the IRS. Whoever signed those payroll tax returns is probably losing their house about now... seen it happen.

Not paying payroll taxes results in SWIFT action usually, which has me scratching my head as to why they haven't thrown the book at Sharpton yet. It was around 1.2mil in payroll taxes and penalties along with 3-4 million in other taxes that Sharpton owes.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2014, 08:39 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,798,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
Seriously? lol

That's a lot of money. Did Willie Nelson ever pay his taxes?
Nelson settled his tax account decades ago. And for far less than allegedly owed.

Old 12-26-2014, 08:42 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,185,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Nelson settled his tax account decades ago. And for far less than allegedly owed.
Oh, no doubt. I recall in the 80s, Exxon was caught fudging their tax returns and owed the government $89 million and settled for half that. If you're famous and/or powerful, you won't have to pay the full amount. If you're poor and owe $1,000 you're paying.

Old 12-26-2014, 08:45 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,525,531 times
People start threads based only on unsupported assertions.

Why?

Old 12-26-2014, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
Oh, no doubt. I recall in the 80s, Exxon was caught fudging their tax returns and owed the government $89 million and settled for half that. If you're famous and/or powerful, you won't have to pay the full amount. If you're poor and owe $1,000 you're paying.
Nah...the IRS will virtually always settle for a reasonable percentage if offered immediate payment and often if a payment plan. The trick is to offer. The IRS guys get rated by the amount collected more strongly than the percentage.

Old 12-26-2014, 09:02 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,265,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
Sharpton's taxes are not his own money, they are the payroll withholdings from employee's of NAN that were withheld from their checks to be remitted to the IRS. Whoever signed those payroll tax returns is probably losing their house about now... seen it happen.

Not paying payroll taxes results in SWIFT action usually, which has me scratching my head as to why they haven't thrown the book at Sharpton yet. It was around 1.2mil in payroll taxes and penalties along with 3-4 million in other taxes that Sharpton owes.

Usually results in Jail Time ...... Sharpton and his enablers are a blight on this country.

Old 12-26-2014, 09:28 PM

Quote:

Nonsense. Happens all the time. Almost always the corporation is failing at least temporarily...no one ever goes to jail though they may end up out of work.

Old 12-26-2014, 09:37 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,856,922 times
Quote:

It is rather mysterious that Sharpton isn't in jail.

What Sharpton did is often regarded as the "third rail" by the IRS --- essentially, Sharpton & NAN were acting as the collection agents for the IRS for the payroll tax. This money was DEFINITELY deducted, so what Sharpton is guilty of is theft. He deducted money from his employees and then failed to send it to the IRS. Theft is theft, and I've seen several owners of restaurants go to business for this very same activity, all over much smaller $ amounts than what the wonderful "Reverend" is charged with. If you and I pulled the same stunt, we would be in jail by now.

Of course, I'm sure the "Reverend" did what he does best when dealing with the IRS --- he lied to them. As you may recall, lying has been the calling card of the "Reverend" since the days of Tawana Brawley.

I would also imagine that color of Sharpton's skin -- and NOT the content of his character -- has likely kept him out of prison on this matter. Obama and Holder certainly aren't going to allow that to happen, and no white president wants to put up with the yapping from the liberal media because they imprisoned a black "Reverend" over something as trivial as "taxes".

Even if that "Reverend" stole the money.....

Old 12-27-2014, 03:48 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,301,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Oh......dear, no, he isn't. Not by a very, very, very long shot.

Ultra-liberal--he's as liberal as LBJ was.

WN lacks the nastiness and meaness that personified LBJ, but he's every bit as liberal.
It was a W.A.G., I admit, but I didn't know he was that liberal. I would have guessed he was more on the conservative side. But, then, I haven't seen or heard much of him for many years. I think the last time I even saw him was on "Austin City Limits" many, many years ago.

Old 12-27-2014, 09:04 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,302,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
And Nelson's date from 1990 when IRS seized his assets. Who even remembers who was president then? Was it a Bush? I think our OP made the very common right winger mistake of stereotyping - country singer = conservative.
I made no mistake, and did no stereotyping. I just made a statement and asked a question for open discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
People start threads based only on unsupported assertions.

Why?
I made no assertions, you did, just stated a fact and opened it up for discussion without leaning either way.

I was/am seeking people's opinions. I find the diversity of opinions widespread and interesting. The I.R.S.'s intentions seem ambiguous at best, and more politically motivated than I believe they're supposed to be. But, that's only my personal opinion, and that's why I am asking the Forum. There always seem to be wide range of thought here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies