Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 06:09 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,663,011 times

Advertisements

Oh dear.............................................. . I guess employers can see through college graduates admitted via quotas.

When you really did not earn something, perhaps it is not worth as much.

Old 12-29-2014, 06:17 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,352,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Oh dear.............................................. . I guess employers can see through college graduates admitted via quotas.

When you really did not earn something, perhaps it is not worth as much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritametermaid View Post
I doubt that is even true. Maybe if they pulled up their pants and did not say. Let me ax you fo a job, they may do better.
Why do you people want to burst a blood vessel in my head?

Read the f@#king article and read the go@#am PDF study I so helpfully posted

Last edited by Clintone; 12-29-2014 at 06:38 AM..

Old 12-29-2014, 06:33 AM

also:

Devah Pager matched up pairs of young men, randomly assigned them criminal records, then sent them on hundreds of real job searches throughout the city of Milwaukee. Her applicants were attractive, articulate, and capable—yet ex-offenders received less than half the callbacks of the equally qualified applicants without criminal backgrounds. Young black men, meanwhile, paid a particularly high price: those with clean records fared no better in their job searches than white men just out of prison.
Marked: Race, Crime, and Finding Work in an Era of Mass Incarceration, Pager

Devah Pager is an American sociologist best known for her research on racial discrimination in employment and the American criminal justice system. She is currently Professor of Sociology and Public Policy at Harvard University.[SIZE=2][1][/SIZE]
Pager earned her doctorate at the University of Wisconsin-Madison in 2002. Prior to that she received Masters degrees from Stanford University and the University of Cape Town in South Africa. As part of her doctoral dissertation research Pager conducted an experiment in which she enlisted young men to pose as job applicants with similar characteristics. She found that a black applicant received a callback or job offer half as often as an equally qualified white applicant. A black applicant with a clean record got a callback or job offer about as often as a white applicant with a felony conviction. She later replicated the experiment in New York City and found similar results. The dissertation was awarded the "Best Dissertation Prize" by the American Sociological Association[SIZE=2][2][/SIZE] and was later published as a series of articles[SIZE=2][3][/SIZE] and a book, Marked: Race, Crime, and Finding Work in an Era of Mass Incarceration (University of Chicago Press, 2007).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devah_Pager

Old 12-29-2014, 06:52 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,589,904 times
The only way to make a study like this work is to hold everything else equal - the majors, GPAs, criminal records, etc. If the conclusion is true, then I suspect affirmative action may be to blame. Employers may think that black candidates got into a school based on their race, whether that is true or not.

Old 12-29-2014, 07:23 AM

5,696 posts, read 6,207,708 times
oh brother
I happen to be white
and I want to know where the hell is MY PRIVIALGE???
I am 63 years old operate 2 service businesses for the last 30 years
I DO ALL MY OWN WORK
I quit hiring folks because they were lazy even though I paid 10 bucks an hour years ago!!
quit your bitching and being a victim
boy the progressives are GOOOOOD at what they do!!!

Old 12-29-2014, 07:27 AM

495 posts, read 611,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
This assumes that businesses would not hire the best actual candidate......running a successful business in this country is dog eat dog, its hard and there's very little room for error.....companies aren't going to pass over a more qualified black person for a less qualified white person, companies are trying to make a profit, they're trying to be as successful as they can, why would any company hire a worse candidate?
The point is that there's racially biased judgment involved at the Employer hiring managerial level...that there's an assumption being raised by some higher ups that black people are, because of their race/color of skin, not as desireable by the average customer in enticing sales of goods and services, even if the individual who is non-white has better credentials as far as degrees and academia. It is unfortunate news to hear. But it shows nothing more or less than we have racial discrimination still going on in America.

You can look to history and see the same patterns. Obviously in Nazi Germany, Hitler would have made more money to win the wars in Russia and against the Western allies if he had better fed Jewish persons instead of mass exterminating them in Auschwitz, but face the reality....he hated Jewish people. He was a bigot. He may have lost the war because of the "more successful Jewish engineers whose educational expertise were purged from the Germans by either Nazi extermination, or immigration to US where they helped support the Ally war effort in Manhattan Project."
(to say otherwise is to make the assumption profiteers are rational investors, but economic trends already disprove this. Massive studies go into this)

Don't you get it? Who is to judge who is a better/worse candidate? I'm not surprised there's subjectivity. White people without college degrees can earn more than white people with college degrees. I see that happen sporadically as well. But when an entire grouping of people on AVERAGE with degrees is less desired for hire than drop-outs, that indicates to me systemic racial discrimination that is still going on in 2014 and it is inexcusable. We need to address this and revisit our constitution, diversity training, equal opportunity what does that mean exactly? How do we truly enforce it?

Last edited by Ericthebean; 12-29-2014 at 07:39 AM..

Old 12-29-2014, 07:28 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
I think the OP is kind of implying that because the black person went to college, by definition, they're more qualified, we know that's not always the case, you can be a HS dropout and work circles around a college grad.

Who is more qualified is in the eye of the beholder, college degree or not.

In order for this OP article to matter or hold any weight, you have to really come up with some kind of study or some kind of proof that enough companies would knowingly hire a worse candidate. If a company is hiring worse candidates, they're not going to be around too long.
good points. a highly driven HS grad is generally more valuable that some chip-on-the-shoulder 'black studies' major.

Old 12-29-2014, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
The only way to make a study like this work is to hold everything else equal - the majors, GPAs, criminal records, etc. If the conclusion is true, then I suspect affirmative action may be to blame. Employers may think that black candidates got into a school based on their race, whether that is true or not.
Affirmative Action being to blame would explain this:

White respondents with “high quality” resumes received 27 percent more call backs than white respondents with “low quality” resumes, but black respondents with high quality resumes received only eight percent more call backs than black respondents with low quality resumes.
http://www.cepr.net/documents/black-coll-grads-2014-05.pdf :

Old 12-29-2014, 07:45 AM

495 posts, read 611,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
good points. a highly driven HS grad is generally more valuable that some chip-on-the-shoulder 'black studies' major.
To the extent that it is a mean statistic? No I don't think so. What it shows is that employers "think" they are selecting between highly driven HS grads and chip-on-the-shoulder collegiates, when in fact they are prejudging highly profitable African American collegiate scholars based on their color of the skin. It indicates we have a systemic racial hatred in America that is still present and that we need to fix it, or else we will face it on the streets.

Old 12-29-2014, 07:46 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times
I've had probably three or four Black males apply for work at my Landscape Company in the last 15 years. All were called in for follow up interviews only one showed that I remember. Hired him on the spot. Tried to go out on a disability claim less than a month later for back injury. He lost(too bad for him i'm a former fraud investigator) and never showed up again to work.

I have a hard time attracting Whites to work as well. Except for management positions.

And yes race is a factor in America. Is it the primary factor in most instances? No.

Last edited by Bulldogdad; 12-29-2014 at 07:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies