Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 02:19 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
My Aunt is a grade school teacher of twenty years, and she earns well close to 100k a year. She dodges crayons, not bullets.
My aunt is the queen of England.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 02:20 PM

78,367 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
No.

Is that inconsistent?

Not really considering the vast difference that gulfs the role of law enforcement and other jobs.

Teachers go on strike? Your kids got to go to school til later in June.

Cops go on strike? People might be the victims of crimes.

See the difference?

I don't owe you consistency on this point, because demanding consistency is only fair when two things are alike. That is not the case here.

Again, I expect the cops to do their jobs. That's why I pay taxes for.
If you look back, it said things like petty crimes....it's not like they are watching someone shoot up an orphanage and walking away.

Some of that may even be at the request of the mayor or higher up brass to ease up a bit so things cool off a bit. Kinda like having Browns step dad apologize instead of charging him with incitement.

Old 12-29-2014, 02:26 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,084,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
There are TEN times as many white people as black... so now what...
There are not 10 times as many involved in crime though.

Old 12-29-2014, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
There are TEN times as many white people as black... so now what...
.....and due to historical racism leading to high rates of poverty....which leads to crime....a higher percentage of blacks have "police interactions".

The population ratio is actually more like 6-1 and blacks have around triple the violent crime so....that knocks the ratio down to around the 2-1 ratio which matches up roughly with police shootings.

Old 12-29-2014, 02:30 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,185,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
If you look back, it said things like petty crimes....it's not like they are watching someone shoot up an orphanage and walking away.

Some of that may even be at the request of the mayor or higher up brass to ease up a bit so things cool off a bit. Kinda like having Browns step dad apologize instead of charging him with incitement.
Crime is crime and even the victims of what we might consider petty crimes can effect the victims' lives in negative ways.

Again, I expect the cops to do their jobs, there's nothing unreasonable about that. If they've been worked into a lather, it's because they've listened to their demagogue union leaders.

Old 12-29-2014, 02:36 PM

For decades we have been talking about how racism and poverty have really hurt the black community and how many young men fall prey to gangs and an alarming number wind up on either end of a gun. This is truth.

Now suddenly people are trying to tell us that police shootings (they tend to shoot people with guns) should be proportionate to the population despite this?

Just using Chicago as an example, 375 of the 500 murders in a year will be gang related and in most cases young black men.

So, with gang members in the thousands packing heat and shooting at one another on a daily basis....people are trying to now claim that a community plagued by crime and violence should have the same ratio of cop shootings as the less impoverished white areas?

Old 12-29-2014, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
Again, I expect the cops to do their jobs, there's nothing unreasonable about that. If they've been worked into a lather, it's because they've listened to their demagogue union leaders.
....or they've just had their buddies heads blown off after having politicians throwing them under the bus because they are the ones that have to get their hands dirty cleaning up the politicians lies of investing more in poor areas in terms of schools, jobs, diversion programs etc.

Old 12-29-2014, 02:42 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,788,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
time for calls is much slower due to having to have two units respond to all calls:

Wary NYPD cops letting minor crimes slide | New York Post

I've already heard through the grapevine that arrests in STL have been down for most crimes for this same reason. Cops are wary of getting involved.

While some will say this is a good thing, I am going to guess the majority of law abiding citizens in high crime areas (especially) will find this greatly impacts their quality of lives.
Contrary to popular belief, cops have always been very tolerant in NYC. What one has to consider, is that they get paid whether they do their job or not. What they should do, is just avoid areas that are predominantly black/minority, or send in black cops, if at all, for any crime.

Old 12-29-2014, 02:45 PM

8,628 posts, read 9,134,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
For decades we have been talking about how racism and poverty have really hurt the black community and how many young men fall prey to gangs and an alarming number wind up on either end of a gun. This is truth.

Now suddenly people are trying to tell us that police shootings (they tend to shoot people with guns) should be proportionate to the population despite this?

Just using Chicago as an example, 375 of the 500 murders in a year will be gang related and in most cases young black men.

So, with gang members in the thousands packing heat and shooting at one another on a daily basis....people are trying to now claim that a community plagued by crime and violence should have the same ratio of cop shootings as the less impoverished white areas?
I think what they are saying is don't kill men who sell cigarettes and or steal one and then walk down the middle of the road. Some years ago near me a black guy stole a ham from a local store. He was arrested, handcuffed to a bench in the police station, was able to get out of the cuffs, walked out of the door and was shot in the back and killed. The cop was fired and rehired some years later. That kind of killing.

Old 12-29-2014, 02:47 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
I think what they are saying is don't kill men who sell cigarettes and or steal one and then walk down the middle of the road.

He wasn't killed for walking down the middle of the road. I don't like wrong or misleading arguments no matter where they came from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies