Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2015, 11:51 AM

9,858 posts, read 11,880,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I know, I was sitting here laughing myself.

There were 300 homicides in Detroit last year (actually the lowest since 1967 which is deceiving in itself) , add up how many in DC, Chicago, LA, Atlanta and where ever else there is a huge conglomeration of gang banger thug types in one year... and it doesn't hold a candle to the negligent discharges, or hunting accidents that have happened in the last 5 years.
You mean that the other way around! There are hundreds of thousands of gun discharges every year and ??? 30K deaths?? A year!!! Is that tolerable??????????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 12:05 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,849,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
OMG... is this still being debated... look... I'll
sum it up.. put 1000 guns in the hands of law abiding people and you don't get
1000 murders..of course not... what you do get is 300 accidents
So by your numbers, there are 300 accidents for every 1000 guns. That's 30%. So, out of the 300 million guns in this country, there ought to be 90 million accidents annually, right?

I assume you have links to back all this up. Surely you wouldn't just be pulling #'s out of your #!%^*
Quote:
It isn't an argument. No guns= no gun accidents, no gun crime, no gun
injuries, no gun deaths
If the only thing you care about is whether or not a gun is used to murder someone as opposed to some other object, then I suppose your logic works. However, if what you care about is crime in general, then not so much.
Quote:
You aren't debating morons

Quote:
In my lifetime there will be widespread gun control in the United
States.
Court decisions and laws passed in recent years don't seem to support your delusi.....uh hem..... conclusion. Let's see: We have The SCOTUS decision in Heller which decided that the 2A protects an individual right. Then we had McDonald, which applied the Heller decision to the states. Then we have the ruling by the 9th circuit court of appeals decision which ruled that requiring a "just cause" to carry a gun in unconstitutional. In 2013, 2/3rds of gun laws passed actually loosened restrictions on guns. Just as recently as December, the 6th circuit ruled that the complete prohibition of people who've been institutionalized from buying guns is unconstitutional.

And that's just to list a few. But you go ahead and keep telling yourself lies if it makes you feel better about being on the losing side.
Quote:
Nothing so destructive will last forever. Yah, 20 ghetto communities
account for 75% of murders, but for every gang-banger killed by another banger,
a very solidly middle class American dies by accidentally shooting themselves,
or their hunting buddy, or blows off a ****, or shoots their child or or or...
when you tally it all up there are as many non-ghetto gun incidents as ghetto
gun incidents. If that's alright with y'all then its fine with me. For as long
as it lasts that is. I kinda like the symmetry of it. For
everyone of us we lose, you lose one too. Rock on.
Are you admitting to being a "ghetto gang banger"

Old 01-06-2015, 12:10 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,074,049 times
Quote:
OMG... is this still being debated... look... I'll sum it up.. put 1000 guns in the hands of law abiding people and you don't get 1000 murders..of course not... what you do get is 300 accidents (of which 100 were fatal), 50 suicides and of course you get some murders, don't flatter yourselves, white people can and do murder each other. The point is, however, NONE of this could have happened if the guns weren't there to begin with.

It isn't an argument. No guns= no gun accidents, no gun crime, no gun injuries, no gun deaths. It really is that simple. If after knowing that, you still want to have guns around. Fine. But don't be ignorant about it. Don't be disingenuous about it. You aren't debating morons! And... enjoy the empowerment. In my lifetime there will be widespread gun control in the United States. Nothing so destructive will last forever. Yah, 20 ghetto communities account for 75% of murders, but for every gang-banger killed by another banger, a very solidly middle class American dies by accidentally shooting themselves, or their hunting buddy, or blows off a ****, or shoots their child or or or... when you tally it all up there are as many non-ghetto gun incidents as ghetto gun incidents. If that's alright with y'all then its fine with me. For as long as it lasts that is. I kinda like the symmetry of it. For everyone of us we lose, you lose one too. Rock on.

H
Your math is not your strong point is it... or are you just exaggerating to make your biased point.
30% of all guns produce accidental shootings..... I'd love to see the documentation on that lie.

Lets see.... 75% gang bang murders leaves 25% non gang bang. How does that add up to 50-50?

Old 01-06-2015, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Hilarious indeed, if the topic weren't as serious
as a heart attack. There isn't a concept in all of life that is easier to
understand....and yet they are unreachable. And that despite the
daily reminders of the threat that their petrified stance poses to themselves
and their loved ones
"petrified stance" huh? LOL, you have no moral high ground on this issue, for if it is my "petrified stance" that drives me to carrying a gun, then what could it be other than your own "petrified stance" that drives you to object to me carrying said gun?

Old 01-06-2015, 12:11 PM

10,018 posts, read 9,448,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I am much less concerned about gun ownership than I am about reckless, foolish and/or just plain stupid gun use and storage.

We need to focus on the conduct, not the gun.

No, of course you will never eliminate all idiots but we can sure do a whole lot better. It's insane for a woman to be shot dead in a Walmart by her own toddler.
Exactly. Do we ban all cars just because some idiot parent leaves a kid in a car unattended and they put he car in gear and runs someone over?

Old 01-06-2015, 12:11 PM

28,983 posts, read 14,330,450 times
Quote:
You mean that the other way around! There are hundreds of thousands of gun discharges every year and ??? 30K deaths?? A year!!! Is that tolerable??????????
Absolutely not, but what about the 46k poisoning deaths per year ?!?!?
Or the 33k traffic deaths a year ?!?

Oh the travesty of these things , what are you going to do ?

FastStats - Injuries

Here's a nice little breakdown for you. Of those 30k firearms deaths 2000 people were actually killed. The rest were suicides, gangbangers or people killed while commiting crimes.
That works out to .6 per 100k per capita murder rate. Sounds quite differently than what you are spewing.

Breakdown of gun firearms-related deaths telling | News OK

Old 01-06-2015, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Er, these shooters were all concealed carry folks, WhipperSnapper.

Are you saying the point of concealed carry is to protect yourself from other concealed carriers?

What about the rest of us poor slobs? What do we say to this Texas lady, who was killed walking down the street in a tourist town by a bullet accidentally fired from across the street by a concealed carry guy?

Moron accidentally shoots himself and kills an innocent woman in Helen, GA

Man charged with accidentally shooting, killing woman
What I'm saying is, for every accident, negligent discharge, etc. that you can find, I can find a story of someone defending their lives. So where does that leave us? Why do the stories of accidents hold more weight in your eyes than those of defense?

Old 01-06-2015, 12:19 PM

Quote:
I never said that every middle class gun accident resulted in a fatality. Some accidents are life ending though even if technically the victim is still alive. There are an awful lot of gun accidents and overall gun mayhem in what is considered the middle class sector of America. You cannot deny this. Added all up it about equals the gun mayhem taking place in the hood. It really does. No link but despite what your fevered imaginaiton would like to think... there are only about 38 million black people and they aren't all gangbangers! Relatively very few black people own guns.
By the numbers, there are hundreds of thousands of legally registered handguns at the center of tens of thousands of tragic accidents many resulting in death. Deny it all you want. Makes NO difference to me. I am not going to be one of them. Unless some ****wad shoots me from across the street through his hand. My next of kin will have a field day with his assets in that case.

H
That may change shortly....

Poll: More Americans Support Gun Rights than Gun Control

The most dramatic demographic shift was that of African-Americans, by some 20 points I do believe. For the first time, more black people are of the opinion that having a gun in the home makes you safer, which is something that prominent black leaders throughout history have known for a long time, such a MLK who applied for a concealed carry permit and had a self-described "arsenal" in his home, or the Deacons of Defense who voluntarily protected black neighborhoods with semi-automatic rifles.

Old 01-06-2015, 01:22 PM

9,858 posts, read 11,880,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Are you admitting to being a "ghetto gang banger"
shhh... yes... a "ghetto gang-banger" with an aesthetic appreciation for existential symmetry and an abiding social conscience...

Old 01-06-2015, 01:28 PM

Quote:
shhh... yes... a "ghetto gang-banger" with an aesthetic appreciation for existential symmetry and an abiding social conscience...
Well you said: "there are as many non gang banger gun incidents as there are gang banger gun incidents, and then you said for every one of "us" that is shot you lose one of yours to"

I'm paraphrasing, but that's the gist. You seemed to be including yourself as a gang banger when you used the word "us"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies