Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2015, 05:22 AM

46,259 posts, read 27,074,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Yep. We've got people out there who think they can run up to the store and buy a gun, stick it in their pocket or purse, and that's all there is to it. We can do a whole lot better in teaching people about the dangers and responsibilities of owning and carrying a firearm. They need to remember -- at ALL times -- that they are personally responsible for something that is made for the express purpose of instantly killing folks and/or causing grievous injury.

There is never any excuse for carelessness in storing or carrying your firearm.

People love to say you can't fix stupid but in fact we can do a lot more in educating and reminding people to exercise extreme care -- at all times -- whenever they have charge of a loaded firearm. They are putting everybody else at risk, not just themselves.
Again, you cannot educate someone who does not want to learn...

Here is the Ruger manual that comes with the LC9:

Quote:

Connecticut:

"UNLAWFUL STORAGE OF A LOADED FIREARM MAY

RESULT IN IMPRISONMENT OR FINE.”
Quote:

Please check with your licensed retailer or state police for additional warnings which may be required by local law or regulation. Such regulations change constantly, and local authorities are in the best position to advise you on such legal matters.
Page 6: How to lock your device.

Quote:

LOCKING DEVICE INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS[/SIZE]

Page 8
Quote:

FIREARMS SAFETY - YOUR RESPONSIBILITY

SAFETY MUST BE THE FIRST AND CONSTANT CONSIDERATION OF

EVERY PERSON WHO HANDLES FIREARMS AND AMMUNITION.

Again, page 8:

Quote:

If you have any doubts about your ability to handle or use a particular type of gun safely, you should seek supervised instruction.

Page 9:

Quote:

FIREARMS ARE DANGEROUS WEAPONS -

READ THE INSTRUCTIONS AND WARNINGS

IN THIS MANUAL THOROUGHLY AND

CAREFULLY BEFORE USING.

Hell, warning are on almost every page of the book that comes with the pistol....

You cannot teach people what they don't care to learn....

http://ruger.com/products/_manuals/lc9.pdf

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Yep. We've got people out there who think they can run up to the store and buy a gun, stick it in their pocket or purse, and that's all there is to it. We can do a whole lot better in teaching people about the dangers and responsibilities of owning and carrying a firearm. They need to remember -- at ALL times -- that they are personally responsible for something that is made for the express purpose of instantly killing folks and/or causing grievous injury.

There is never any excuse for carelessness in storing or carrying your firearm.

People love to say you can't fix stupid but in fact we can do a lot more in educating and reminding people to exercise extreme care -- at all times -- whenever they have charge of a loaded firearm. They are putting everybody else at risk, not just themselves.
Have you bought a ladder lately? There is a reason there is a warning on every step to "NOT STEP ON THE TOP STEP"....

Think about that for a minute....

Old 01-14-2015, 11:29 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Again, you cannot educate someone who does not want to learn...

Here is the Ruger manual that comes with the LC9:
We can do a lot better than simply relying on an owners manual. See some of my posts above.

Old 01-14-2015, 11:34 AM

Quote:
We can do a lot better than simply relying on an owners manual. See some of my posts above.

I've read if someone does not want to learn...they are not going to learn....and you want people to be more aware...got that..post signs at WalMart....if they don't want to read...they are not going to ...

I know you had more ideas than just walmart but it was all about educating people...by reading...if they don't want to they are not...

Old 01-14-2015, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Have you bought a ladder lately? There is a reason there is a warning on every step to "NOT STEP ON THE TOP STEP"....

Think about that for a minute....
Well, there are several major differences. For one thing, people don't walk around carrying ladders in public places. No do ladders have the potential to instantly inflict death or grievous injury the way firearms do.

If you're just making the point that people often don't read instructions I completely agree. That's why we need to do more in the way of educating people about safe and responsible gun use and storage. Every single one of the incidents I've mentioned is completely preventable if people simply had a higher sense of safety and responsibility.

Old 01-14-2015, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Well, there are several major differences. For one thing, people don't walk around carrying ladders in public places. No do ladders have the potential to instantly inflict death or grievous injury the way firearms do.

If you're just making the point that people often don't read instructions I completely agree. That's why we need to do more in the way of educating people about safe and responsible gun use and storage. Every single one of the incidents I've mentioned is completely preventable if people simply had a higher sense of safety and responsibility.
And everyone of those guns came with an instruction manual...guess they did not read the instruction manual...

So, they won't read...that's includes signs and such, how do you propose to get them to a higher sense of responsibility and safety? They are not going to read...

Old 01-14-2015, 11:43 AM

Quote:
I've read if someone does not want to learn...they are not going to learn....and you want people to be more aware...got that..post signs at WalMart....if they don't want to read...they are not going to ...

I know you had more ideas than just walmart but it was all about educating people...by reading...if they don't want to they are not...
Well, some people are more resistant to learning than others, but if someone's got the brainpower to purchase a handgun and go get a concealed carry licence, they undoubtedly have the capacity to learn how to use and store it more safely. (If not we are in serious trouble).

Signs and owners manuals are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to safety education. As I've mentioned in previous posts, look at how we've dealt with drunk driving. No need to ban drinking or ban cars, we just get to work on the careless high-risk conduct.

Old 01-14-2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:
found that falls remain a leading cause of unintentional injury mortality nationwide, and 43 percent of fatal falls in the last decade have involved a ladder.
CDC: There

Old 01-14-2015, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Well, some people are more resistant to learning than others, but if someone's got the brainpower to purchase a handgun and go get a concealed carry licence, they undoubtedly have the capacity to learn how to use and store it more safely. (If not we are in serious trouble). .
You say this, and you posted the link with the kid and a hand gun and dad going bang....

No, brain power is nothing if you don't want to use it....

Quote:
Signs and owners manuals are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to safety education. As I've mentioned in previous posts, look at how we've dealt with drunk driving. No need to ban drinking or ban cars, we just get to work on the careless high-risk conduct.
And how do you propose to do that? Adds on TV, all around?

Your intentions are good, and I'm all for them, you just don't have anything, if people don't want to learn, they won't just like DD, it's everywhere, yet people still do it. Anything you propose, they will want to have to do it....you cannot fix stupid...

Old 01-14-2015, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Er, nobody's bringing ladders into public space and forcing us to climb them.

On the other hand, gun owners who fail to follow the rules of safe use and storage are directly subjecting me and my family to a risk of death or grievous injury.

They are no better than the fools who drink and drive or drive while texting. Yet we do all kinds of things to combat driving while texting or drinking. We have public awareness campaigns, signs, ticketing and enforcement, fines, PSAs, apps, reminders in school, window stickers, corporate initiatives, you name it.

Stop texting while driving images

Why don't we do the same for unsafe gun use and storage?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies