Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2015, 01:06 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,746,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Twice, both times for just a few days. And I get super-exposed, being around sick people for my daily work.
I haven't gotten it at all in three decades despite being in school, working in a clinic and having kids in school. I guess I'm just super lucky.

Old 01-04-2015, 01:24 PM

13,303 posts, read 7,870,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I haven't gotten it at all in three decades despite being in school, working in a clinic and having kids in school. I guess I'm just super lucky.
And, plucky.

I like that.

Old 01-04-2015, 01:45 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I'm really worried this year with a new baby in the house. He'll be too young for the shot IF it would help him and I'm a teacher. I WILL be exposed to every bug out there. Let's hope he inherited his mom's immune system. She never got sick. Her sister and I would be dying and she'd never even sneeze. She gets this from her dad. Let's hope Hunter got it from her. It's not a good time for a baby to be born when there's a bad flu out there and the shot is ineffective against it.
I hope Hunter's mom took the vaccine while she was pregnant. If she did, Hunter could have passive antibody protection from his mom for up to six months after he was born. As others have pointed out, everyone who comes into contact with him should be vaccinated, and for the next few weeks, limiting his contact with the germy public at large is a good idea.

Doshi doesn't know what he is talking about. He is not a physician, not an epidemiologist, and does not understand the basics of influenza vaccination. The article to which you link was written when he was a graduate student. His PhD appears to be in “History, Anthropology, and Science, Technology and Society”.

Doshi deconstructed:

Non-epidemiologist tries to do epidemiology, feeds anti-vaccine activists | The Poxes Blog

Quote:
This is a pretty interesting article about Tom Jefferson and his findings.
Does the Vaccine Matter? - The Atlantic
Jefferson deconstructed:

Yes, But. The Annotated Atlantic. « Science-Based Medicine

Flu Vaccine Efficacy « Science-Based Medicine

Because you want to believe Jefferson does not make him right.

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 01-04-2015 at 02:20 PM..

Old 01-04-2015, 01:47 PM

10,232 posts, read 6,319,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
According to the preliminary research, elderberry may shorten the duration of symptoms of flu, but it is not a preventive, according to that WSJ article I posted. I can't get back in there w/o a subscription, but anyone who hasn't opened the link probably can. Here's a link from the U of MD.
Elderberry | University of Maryland Medical Center

I agree with randomparent. I guess that's why teachers are always among the first to line up for flu shots. Another big problem is that people are contagious before they have symptoms, adults for at least a day, kids perhaps for many days. People go to work sick for the same reasons. I have seen some of the sickest people at work-based flu clinics.

We took these kids to the nurse when they were sick. Nurses took their temperature. If they had a fever, their parents were called to take them home. They stayed in the nurse's office, and could not return to the classroom. After they were gone, we Paras went around the room wiping down all the tables, etc. Imagine doing THAT unvaccinated ourselves????? lol

No, they should not have been in school with a fever in the first place, however, we were required to take OSHA tests every single year on Universal Precautions. FLU SHOTS were not part of this for the kids, or us.

It would not surprise me that the day is coming soon when everyone will be forced to be vaccinated for whatever or lose their job, not be allowed on a plane, at a supermarket, etc. If they can do this to young children, it won't be long before adults also will not be allowed to be in public. It will not end with just health care workers, but all adults too. The Herd Immunity mentality.

Frightening thought for some of us, even those of us who ARE old and they think they are protecting from DEATH.

BTW, it was the YOUNG teachers who were the most afraid. It wasn't the OLDER ones. They had lived long enough, been around enough, to have learned from their own LIFE experiences.

Old 01-04-2015, 01:52 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,228,856 times
^ This is happening in the health care field. I know someone who was fired for refusing the flu shot. I also had to take a different course for my schooling because I refused the seven inoculations which were mandatory for certain classes, including influenza.

Old 01-04-2015, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I hope Hunter's mom took the vaccine while she was pregnant. If she did, Hunter could have passive antibody protection from his mom for up to six months after he was born. As others have pointed out, everyone who comes into contact with him should be vaccinated, and for the next few weeks, limiting his contact with the germy public at large is a good idea.

Doshi doesn't know what he is talking about. He is not a physician, not an epidemiologist, and does not understand the basics of influenza vaccination. The article to which you link was written when he was a graduate student. His PhD appears to be in “History, Anthropology, and Science, Technology and Society”.

Doshi deconstructed:

Non-epidemiologist tries to do epidemiology, feeds anti-vaccine activists | The Poxes Blog

Jefferson deconstructed:

Yes, But. The Annotated Atlantic. « Science-Based Medicine

Flu Vaccine Efficacy « Science-Based Medicine

Because you want to believe Jefferson does not make him right.
Just because you don't want to believe Jefferson, doesn't make him wrong.

If you're going to denigrate people's credentials then maybe you'd like to share yours?

Old 01-04-2015, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
We took these kids to the nurse when they were sick. Nurses took their temperature. If they had a fever, their parents were called to take them home. They stayed in the nurse's office, and could not return to the classroom. After they were gone, we Paras went around the room wiping down all the tables, etc. Imagine doing THAT unvaccinated ourselves????? lol

No, they should not have been in school with a fever in the first place, however, we were required to take OSHA tests every single year on Universal Precautions. FLU SHOTS were not part of this for the kids, or us.

It would not surprise me that the day is coming soon when everyone will be forced to be vaccinated for whatever or lose their job, not be allowed on a plane, at a supermarket, etc. If they can do this to young children, it won't be long before adults also will not be allowed to be in public. It will not end with just health care workers, but all adults too. The Herd Immunity mentality.

Frightening thought for some of us, even those of us who ARE old and they think they are protecting from DEATH.

BTW, it was the YOUNG teachers who were the most afraid. It wasn't the OLDER ones. They had lived long enough, been around enough, to have learned from their own LIFE experiences.
That worries me as well. I could see it happening. It's a scary thought and one that I hope to never see happen.

Old 01-04-2015, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
^ This is happening in the health care field. I know someone who was fired for refusing the flu shot. I also had to take a different course for my schooling because I refused the seven inoculations which were mandatory for certain classes, including influenza.
It sounds plausible like they are going to just chip away at this. First it will be required for all health professionals and then it will be required for all teachers and so on and so forth. Scary.

Old 01-04-2015, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
And, plucky.

I like that.
I've been called all sorts of names on these boards but this is by far my favorite one. Thanks.

Old 01-04-2015, 02:28 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Just because you don't want to believe Jefferson, doesn't make him wrong.

If you're going to denigrate people's credentials then maybe you'd like to share yours?
Undergraduate and postgraduate courses in biochemistry and human physiology, including immunolgy. And you?

By the way, Jefferson feels free to review and disparage the quality of the studies done by others, but he does not do original research himself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies