Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2015, 05:53 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
They can't afford to - no sick leave.
Yeah I get that. Going to work when sick makes sense in certain situations like when you don't get sick pay or you have a crazy boss who is unforgiving of people taking sick time. I understand why people in those circumstances go out in public when they are sick. The people who go out shopping or to a movie or send their sick kids on a playdate or to school, etc. sick. Those non essential outings don't make sense to me at all.

Old 01-04-2015, 06:04 PM

10,229 posts, read 6,309,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
All's ya gotta do is keep your immune system entertained during those boring times when there's no legitimate threat.

I've been gaming with my immune system for years, and I usually win.

Physicians hate me, because I'm unpredictably healthy.
Physicians don't hate me because they don't even know I exist.

Old 01-04-2015, 06:05 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Who? The Dane who did some research that said vaccines don't cause autism? He did not work for the CDC. Funny one of his accusers is RFK,Jr., a believer in the vaccines cause autism meme, who had his article for Rolling Stone retracted by RS.
He worked as a visiting "scientist" at the CDC right before obtaining the grant money.
He produced studies saying there was no autism and the CDC used his studies as their proof..over $12 million got funneled his way to keep him awash in grant money to write papers for the CDC.

Thoren's research was questioned very early on by other doctors while the CDC lauded his study as "proof positive".

Old 01-04-2015, 06:05 PM

7,974 posts, read 7,346,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Yeah I get that. Going to work when sick makes sense in certain situations like when you don't get sick pay or you have a crazy boss who is unforgiving of people taking sick time. I understand why people in those circumstances go out in public when they are sick. The people who go out shopping or to a movie or send their sick kids on a playdate or to school, etc. sick. Those non essential outings don't make sense to me at all.
In all fairness, it creeps up on you quickly. And it's contagious before there are any symptoms. I think I (and other family members) got it from a young guest at a large get-together the Saturday before Christmas. He was fine in the afternoon, running around with all the other kids...then by 6:00 or so, he was flat on his back on the sofa with a fever. Had he expressed that he was feeling sick, his parents wouldn't have brought him to the party, but he felt fine all afternoon. Two days later, my grandson got it, then my daughter, then me. My daughter went to work the day before Christmas feeling fine, but it came over her during the day and she came home that night sick as a dog.

Old 01-04-2015, 06:06 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Physicians don't hate me because they don't even know I exist.
Good for you. Let's hope that never has to change.

Old 01-04-2015, 06:09 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
And, this is because . . . . ? ?
I've had the flu about a half-dozen times in my life, and quite a few more colds.

Here's how I tell the difference - if it's congestion, coughing, and sneezing, it's a cold. If, in addition to those symptoms, I suddenly feel like someone is working me over with a sledge hammer - it's the flu.

Old 01-04-2015, 06:21 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
He worked as a visiting "scientist" at the CDC right before obtaining the grant money.
He produced studies saying there was no autism and the CDC used his studies as their proof..over $12 million got funneled his way to keep him awash in grant money to write papers for the CDC.

Thoren's research was questioned very early on by other doctors while the CDC lauded his study as "proof positive".
His conduct was egregious, no doubt. It was financial fraud, not research fraud. It was RFK, Jr. who questioned his research.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poul_Thorsen

Old 01-04-2015, 06:24 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
His conduct was egregious, no doubt.

I take it you think immunizations cause autism?
Not at all. I have no opinion on this at all. I was posting that the CDC is not as perfect as you may think. His conduct was way beyond and the CDC never even questioned him or his studies while others did. The CDC only backtracked after he disappeared with the money.
And the CDC continued to allow him to co-author papers with other CDC researchers AFTER that.

Old 01-04-2015, 06:25 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,285,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
You do not get the flu from the flu shot.
Yes I know.... it is just a coincidence.

Old 01-04-2015, 06:25 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Not at all. I have no opinion on this at all. I was posting that the CDC is not as perfect as you may think. His conduct was way beyond and the CDC never even questioned him or his studies while others did. The CDC only backtracked after he disappeared with the money.
And the CDC continued to allow him to co-author papers with other CDC researchers AFTER that.
I do not think the CDC is perfect; don't know where you get that idea. It wasn't his research that was the problem.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poul_Thorsen
http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/...anish-studies/
The funny, and I mean really funny as in laughter-inducing, thing is, there never was any thimerosal in MMR vaccine. RFK and his minions were barking up the wrong tree by a longshot, with this MMR/mercury/autism link of theirs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies