Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 05:34 PM

7,971 posts, read 7,311,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68551 View Post
A guy wouldn't get away with it if a woman didn't let him.....
It never happened on Father knows best!!!
Yeah, "Kitten" slapped him and said, ""I'm not that kind of girl!!!!!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 05:35 PM

1,540 posts, read 1,118,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
are you pro choice? should she of had an abortion when the father skipped town? or do you think she is just bad because she had sex in the first place? let me guess you are a man.

I am a woman who does not believe in abortion....I am just saying that as there are more & more illegitimate children someone has to step up to the plate to stop it....Since women have more to lose they should be the responsible ones.

Old 01-04-2015, 05:35 PM

7,800 posts, read 4,370,132 times
Quote:
still waiting for someone to tell us what legal document the term "illegitimate" is required to be on?
Some other poster with more knowledge may add to the subject, but the issue of illegitimacy is raised in a family law context and usually in determining paternity. IIRC, the distinction between legitimate and illegitimate children is all but erased under the law. If a child is born out of wed lock paternity must be established as opposed to a married couple where paternity is presumed.

Last edited by TreeBeard; 01-04-2015 at 06:03 PM..

Old 01-04-2015, 05:36 PM

18,326 posts, read 18,922,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68551 View Post
I am a woman who does not believe in abortion....I am just saying that as there are more & more illegitimate children someone has to step up to the plate to stop it....Since women have more to lose they should be the responsible ones.

as I said they are responsible. how are they not?

Old 01-04-2015, 05:37 PM

6,081 posts, read 4,562,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
Yes, I do agree with this. That said, illegitimacy isn't something we should be trying to destigmatize either.
Yes- I agree with that. I just think the emphasis shouldn't be on the child, who didn't have anything to do with the legal arrangement of his or her parents when they got together to make him or her.

But I wholeheartedly agree with the point that people (both then men and the women) just seem wayyyyy too casual about having a baby with this man, then having a relationship with another dude that implodes, and then another, and so on. If the kid is having to deal with all of this drama, when they really should have a much more stable home environment, can the kid(s) at least be given the kindness to not be called "illegitimate??!"

Old 01-04-2015, 05:43 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,276,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
I'm curious what the criteria is for God to be relevant in political discussion. It's almost as if people only play the God card when it's helpful, but the second it contradicts your goal, God is a separate entity.

But just for fun, would God blame, and consequently label, the child for the actions of his/her parents, or is God thoughtful?
For those who have a religious bent, there's plenty to review regarding the "sins of the father" in scripture. Note, please, whose iniquity is discussed in the Bible. Christian patriarchy comes down harder on the men. Just thought you should know.

Old 01-04-2015, 05:47 PM

5,640 posts, read 5,055,714 times
Quote:
what rose colored glasses you wear. no it "shouldn't" but it does reflect badly on the child. the term carries a stigma.
What stigma? It hasn't stopped me from doing anything. Oh, you mean that whole "feeling" thing again that seems to trip up those who live under the misconception that life has to be "fair" and other such b*llsh*t! Get over it!

Old 01-04-2015, 05:52 PM

18,326 posts, read 18,922,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
What stigma? It hasn't stopped me from doing anything. Oh, you mean that whole "feeling" thing again that seems to trip up those who live under the misconception that life has to be "fair" and other such b*llsh*t! Get over it!
I for one do care when children are called names for what ever reason.

Old 01-04-2015, 05:56 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,861,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Yes- I agree with that. I just think the emphasis shouldn't be on the child, who didn't have anything to do with the legal arrangement of his or her parents when they got together to make him or her.

But I wholeheartedly agree with the point that people (both then men and the women) just seem wayyyyy too casual about having a baby with this man, then having a relationship with another dude that implodes, and then another, and so on. If the kid is having to deal with all of this drama, when they really should have a much more stable home environment, can the kid(s) at least be given the kindness to not be called "illegitimate??!"
That's a good point. The question then becomes, how do you walk the tightrope between people who are that way through no fault of their own and shouldn't have to hear that kind of language about themselves (even in the abstract rather than the specific), and at the same time still condemning the choices of their parents and people considering having children outside of marriage, who should be hearing from society that it isn't okay?

I'm honestly not entirely sure myself, and while in person I generally err on the side of caution and not using the term unless I know for a certain fact that it applies to no one and the close family of no-one in hearing, I'm not fully confident that that's the right way to address the issue.

Old 01-04-2015, 05:57 PM

5,640 posts, read 5,055,714 times
Quote:
I for one do care when children are called names for what ever reason.
Because life should be fair and the world should always be kind? You're new here, huh?

Tell us about your world where unicorns poop strawberry ice cream and people fly powered by happy thoughts!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies