Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 05:36 PM

56 posts, read 75,288 times

Advertisements

As an American, I've always stood quite neutral on the subject of gun laws. If I myself were to own a gun, I probably wouldn't feel the need to buy anything more than a concealed and licensed pistol. However, I myself am aware that other people feel differently about owning guns and take their guns another step further and purchase things like assault rifles. So needless to say, I'm simply curious to know how other folks feel about this topic. How is it that you feel about people being able to own automatic weapons that are a step up from your standard pistol?

And please, let's keep this thread as civil as possible.

Hoping to see insightful posts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelcoreXD View Post
Defined by the US Army: assault rifles as "short, compact, selective-fire weapons that fire a cartridge intermediate in power between submachine gun and rifle cartridges."
edit: From this point, if anyone feels the need to strip me for definitions after I've already given you an official military definition for an assault rifle, then feel free to do so. I just won't be answering. Please, just state your opinion on the matter at hand.

Last edited by Brizita; 01-04-2015 at 06:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 05:46 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,092,166 times
I personally do not care.

There was a thing a while back (and maybe its still going on) about an assault rifle ban, but I see no reason to do that. Most gun related murders are not done with rifles, I think it's less than 5%. So logically, assault rifle murders would be even lower. So if banning guns was gonna happen, I wouldn't waste time on a gun that's typically not a problem.

Do I think people need assault rifles? No. I see no practical use for them. There's the argument that assault rifles would be necessary to protect from a tyrannical government, but be real; your assault rifle isn't going to do a thing to the US government's fleet of drones.

But yeah, I don't care. If they're responsible about it, what difference does it make to me what they spend their money on. If it makes them happy and hurts no one, what right do I have to get involved?

Old 01-04-2015, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
I personally do not care.

There's the argument that assault rifles would be necessary to protect from a tyrannical government, but be real; your assault rifle isn't going to do a thing to the US government's fleet of drones.
Yeah, I suppose I see your point in that. I can't really imagine that if the military would ever send tanks against their citizens that people would be able to destroy an m1 abrams with an AK47 or small arms weapon. But hey! ya never know how ninja people can get. Then there's always the option to join an organized militia I suppose.

Old 01-04-2015, 05:53 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
When you start a thread like this there is no way for it to remain civil.

Old 01-04-2015, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
When you start a thread like this there is no way for it to remain civil.
If you honestly feel like there's no way to keep this discussion civil then there's honestly nothing I can do to change your opinion. Either contact an admin if you feel one is needed, or you don't need to post as you are not required to. No one ever said that you didn't have to be courteous in a political discussion. Posts like these aren't constructive.

Old 01-04-2015, 05:58 PM

78,326 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelcoreXD View Post
As an American, I've always stood quite neutral on the subject of gun laws. If I myself were to own a gun, I probably wouldn't feel the need to buy anything more than a concealed and licensed pistol. However, I myself am aware that other people feel differently about owning guns and take their guns another step further and purchase things like assault rifles. So needless to say, I'm simply curious to know how other folks feel about this topic. How is it that you feel about people being able to own automatic weapons that are a step up from your standard pistol?

And please, let's keep this thread as civil as possible.

Hoping to see insightful posts!
You are a perfect example of why this is a difficult argument as you don't even know that these rifles aren't automatic and that to have an automatic wheapon you need VERY special licensing.

Secondly, wild hogs are invasive species that can be quite dangerous. What sort of short-barrelled concealable handgun would you choose to try to shoot hogs at 200yards distance?

I would highly recommend that you get more knowledge of guns and appreciation for the diversity of living situations for people around the country before jumping into the topic.

Old 01-04-2015, 05:59 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,085,312 times
Define "assault rifle". Or do you just mean scary looking black guns with cosmetic features meant to visually emulate combat weapons but of no significant function otherwise?

Old 01-04-2015, 06:00 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,966,152 times
What is an "assault rifle"?

Please define it for me.

Old 01-04-2015, 06:06 PM

78,326 posts, read 60,527,398 times
To follow-up on the topic, the problem with regulating firearms with more pow than mere handguns is that the well is utterly and completely poisoned politically.

While I could see that there might be some room for additional reforms there have been numerous attempts to impose "Jim Crow" type laws or overly broad laws that could then be applied to all guns etc. The NRA would be stupid to compromise on anything.

Lastly, the main thing you need to know is that meaningful reforms would have to make it through the US Senate. Idaho gets 2, Wyoming 2, South Dakota 2 etc etc. You easily have have the senate in what are rural states so this issue isn't going anywhere.

Old 01-04-2015, 06:10 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,212,564 times
I own machine guns. Legally
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies