Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 10:21 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,111,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
THIS!!!! Exactly why America has some of the most ignorant people in the world. It's pure intellectual laziness.
You hit the nail on the head!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2015, 10:26 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Using the murder of six million Jews as your pulpit to encourage people to "repent and accept Jesus as their savior" shows a serious lack of class. Just sayin'...

Old 09-25-2015, 10:32 AM

1,608 posts, read 1,485,216 times
Morning!

Thanks so much for your thoughtful replies, guys (keep 'em coming). I'm encouraged by those of you who obviously care how people treat other people, and who demonstrate the desire to not repeat the heinous acts that we've seen perpetrated throughout human history, and that continue in the present day.

We *can* stop this. All we have to do is care and have the courage of our convictions.

I've been in North America since 1974, and even then I was astounded by the level of education that people my age (then eighteen) had attained to. In Scotland, I had graduated with the equivalent of a Grade Twelve education at age fifteen, and that was the norm then. I engaged in further study, of course, but that does not alter the fact that what people my age had been taught in North America by age eighteen was appalling. It was this fact that made me decide, on the spot, that any children I had in the future would not be sent to public schools either in Canada or the States.

I cannot comment on what the educational standards were prior to 1974, but it's easy to see why many people my age (60-ish) might not know any better than the college students polled in the OP 180 video. I'm a grandmother, and our oldest grandchild is eleven, so that's three generations of people (including my own) who I know from personal experience are largely clueless about basic human decency, let alone history, and that's discouraging.

We now live in a reality that has abolished the traditional family, along with most other traditional values, and while we have removed some bigotry and inequality from our lives, overall, the result has been disastrous. I know that many here will disagree, but to those who do, I ask: Where do you see our global society, physically and morally, fifteen years from now?

Blessings,

Mahrie.

Old 09-25-2015, 10:33 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahrie View Post
I don't think that is the point of the video, TS. I'm hard to shock, but I was blown away by the level of ignorance these college students displayed. Who would have thought that our 'adult' kids would have no idea who Hitler was, and many had never so much as heard of him?

The video isn't just about abortion, or the Holocaust, or lust, lies, theft, and blasphemy; it's about the fact that people have no idea what they themselves think (or know) about these subjects. Look how easy it was to change their minds about several different moral issues. Young people today are simply not educated well enough to grow into deliberate people who aren't stymied by simple moral questions. No wonder REGRET is so prevalent among those in their thirties nowadays.
Our young people think people like Hitler (Germany), Papa Doc (Haiti), Kim (N Korea), Mao (China) can never come into power here. They think they are smarter than the Germans, Haitians, N Koreans and Chinese people. Little do the young of America know that it is their ignorance to how these people came into power and maintained power that will pave the way for it to happen.

When I saw how they went crazy over Obama it was then that I realized how ignorant our young are. Never, ever think one man, any politician no matter what party is your savior, give him too much power and surely that power will be abused just like Hitler, Papa Doc, Kim and Mao did. The people of those countries also acted like the man was the savior and we see where that went, millions upon millions of people who the leader deemed defectors because they spoke out against them died. That's why the media is supposed to be a watchdog.

The list of abusers is long and if our young don't smarten up they will suffer the consequences but so be it. I'll be gone.

Last edited by petch751; 09-25-2015 at 10:46 AM..

Old 09-25-2015, 10:33 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,676,657 times
Implying that the state should have the power to take life while restraining others from doing the same ignores the hypocrisy that is innate in a society that calls itself Christian all the while acting in ways inconsistent with the teachings of Christ. Our business/government has made a robust economy from the murder of people around the globe, something Eisenhower reminded us as a thing he witnessed all too often. Yet we have a curious respect for the military despite their role in global murder campaigns. The Army has Chaplains who bless one group of killers and ask for their protection while they are busy killing others.

Now we suppose that this same government should bring the full force of its power down on those who choose to have an abortion. Until we resolve the hypocrisy in government and society in general, we won't have a decent society on any level. Yes, it's true that America has long been a nation of people more interested in following pop culture than any philosophy that includes a belief that all life holds value. And for that reason we see a growing ignorance in our society, and not just an ignorance with regard to morals but moreover one that includes a total disregard for others in favor of a self indulgence.

I'd think that on it's face abortion would be a thing celebrated by those in the conservative population who despise the fact of welfare being a construct that takes the lives of babies into account by providing for them. Yet it is the conservative who preaches to the hapless single mother about the moral failures of having children they can't support, and then openly advocates for the mother to be left to her own devices in order that society not become encumbered with the cost of caring.

We as a people decide who shall live and who is going to die, we cast our votes in the arena of law, in the halls of our congress, and as individuals on city streets. Murder is wrong, and most know wrong from right, but the allowing of state sanctioned murder perverts our senses and encourages a kind of blessing to be assigned to certain kinds of murder. On a side note: Most of youth has remained in a state blissful ignorance until they are forced to think, and that is the reason for our insistence that young soldiers do the murdering, of course they return home to grieve the loss of their innocence. It's hard to celebrate life in such a murderous society.

Last edited by jertheber; 09-25-2015 at 11:06 AM..

Old 09-25-2015, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post

I'd think that on it's face abortion would be a thing celebrated by those in the conservative population who despise the fact of welfare being a construct that takes the lives of babies into account by providing for them.
I'd prefer teaching morals first. But if you must be less picky about who you bed and if you can't afford the kid, take preventative measures to avoid becoming pregnant in the first place. Or is that too difficult to understand?

Abortion is not meant to be the first and only form of birth control.

Old 09-25-2015, 11:13 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,676,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
I'd prefer teaching morals first. But if you must be less picky about who you bed and if you can't afford the kid, take preventative measures to avoid becoming pregnant in the first place. Or is that too difficult to understand?

That's a great notion, and a perfectly understandable position---Too bad for the children of those unable to follow it.

Old 09-25-2015, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
Implying that the state should have the power to take life while restraining others from doing the same ignores the hypocrisy that is innate in a society that calls itself Christian all the while acting in ways inconsistent with the teachings of Christ. Our business/government has made a robust economy from the murder of people around the globe, something Eisenhower reminded us as a thing he witnessed all to often. Yet we have a curious respect for the military despite their role in global murder campaigns. The Army has Chaplains who bless one group of killers and ask for their protection while they are busy killing others.

Now we suppose that this same government should bring the full force of its power down on those who choose to have an abortion. Until we resolve the hypocrisy in government and society in general, we won't have a decent society on any level. Yes, it's true that America has long been a nation of people more interested in following pop culture than any philosophy that includes a belief that all life holds value. And for that reason we see a growing ignorance in our society, and not just an ignorance with regard to morals but moreover one that includes a total disregard for others in favor of a self indulgence.

I'd think that on it's face abortion would be a thing celebrated by those in the conservative population who despise the fact of welfare being a construct that takes the lives of babies into account by providing for them. Yet it is the conservative who preaches to the hapless single mother about the moral failures of having children they can't support, and then openly advocates for the mother to be left to her own devices in order that society not become encumbered with the cost of caring.

We as a people decide who shall live and who is going to die, we cast our votes in the arena of law, in the halls of our congress, and as individuals on city streets. Murder is wrong, and most know wrong from right, but the allowing of state sanctioned murder perverts our senses and encourages a kind of blessing to be assigned to certain kinds of murder. On a side note: Most of youth has remained in a state blissful ignorance until they are forced to think, and that is the reason for our insistence that young soldiers do the murdering, of course they return home to grieve the loss of their innocence. It's hard to celebrate life in such a murderous society.

For the most part, I agree with you, jertheber, but we cannot blame our youth for not knowing facts that we (as adults) failed to teach them, nor can we expect them to have moral values superior to those of their parents, most of who were born into the extremist feminist era, where the 'If it feels good, do it' mantra prevailed (and still does).

I'm not talking about equal pay for equal work and all other such reasonable considerations, but when we raise up generations of children who have no idea what the sanctity of life means, except as it pertains to their own life, we are lost. The premeditated taking of life will always be wrong, and that includes the lives lost on the battlefields of contrived wars fought only for the benefit of the financial elite -- not that their primary concern is money, it's not, it's has and always will be power.

Personally, I would have answered "No" to the 'Would you shoot Hitler''? question because either we hold all life sacred, or we do not.

What would you have done, and why?

I'd have wanted him incarcerated and (if possible) rehabilitated, but regardless of his response to attempted restoration, he would have been in a place that would ensure that he couldn't hurt anyone again. As most serious historians know, he was just a puppet anyway, groomed for years for his position as the leader of the Reich.

If one wanted to 'end' the true architects of wars, one would have to annihilate the Rothchilds, the IMF, the Central Bank, the Trilateral Commission, and just a few more; thirteen families in all who control the world's economy - or try to.

Mahrie.

Old 09-25-2015, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
THIS!!!! Exactly why America has some of the most ignorant people in the world. It's pure intellectual laziness.
I used to think history was boring, no longer. History is made of people who make history and human nature does not change. To avoid tyranny and dictatorships people have to understand what they are and how tyrannical governments and leaders come into power. They also have to watch for the signs that could lead to it. A commonality is the poor are the easiest to persuade and power hungry people use desperation of the poor to get support. That's why it's good to have a working, non depended population and when a government does things to increase poverty that is not good.

Old 09-25-2015, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post

I'd rather see punitive measures employed for those who have premarital and/or extramarital sex.

Abortion was never meant to be a method of birth control.

It's absurd to have to explain to someone who asks you out on a date that you will not be on the menu! Sadly, that kind of behavior was taking place in Britain when I was in my teens, so in the late sixties/early seventies. Nowadays, inappropriate and irresponsible sexual liaisons are thought of as nothing more than dessert.

Shalom,

Mahrie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies