Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 01:45 AM

1,608 posts, read 1,478,364 times

Advertisements

Ever wonder what's wrong with our youth and why they act the way they do? Could it be that they're simply uninformed? Do you believe that when given the right information they would change their minds and do a 180 regarding violence, murder, and the sanctity of life? Watch this video and see.

PLEASE don't miss this!

"180" - An award-winning documentary!

(Millions of people around the globe have already seen it, and it has almost 5 million views on You Tube alone - in English, and many more millions in other languages.)

Love to all,

Mahrie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 01:57 AM

23,593 posts, read 13,793,692 times
Who is to say that what they are presented with is the right information, though?

I skimmed the video. I don't need another lesson in state sponsored terrorism against one's own people for that is part of my training, my professional background.

Taking it from another angle. In my world, there tend to be three types of people. There are those who are innocent of how bad the world really is, there are those who are willingly in it ("cops and robbers"), and there are those who have been forced into it..............and may be desperately trying to get to type 1.

Who am I, who is anyone to force the innocent out of that bliss until there is an actual need?

Taking it down another level, I had to learn around 12 that the world was not as pretty as one might think. My family was on a diplomatic passport, we were traveling in the Mid East, and hence, I could be a target for whatever one might imagine.

But perhaps at the age of 12, we should educate children how bad the world is anyhow, and take away that joy of childhood...................................I certainly don't agree with that. I believe childhood is precious and should be held on to as long as possible.

So, A and B.

A: Who is to say that the data is correct?

B: What right does one have to force the ugliness of the world on another?

Old 01-05-2015, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Who is to say that what they are presented with is the right information, though?

I skimmed the video. I don't need another lesson in state sponsored terrorism against one's own people for that is part of my training, my professional background.

Taking it from another angle. In my world, there tend to be three types of people. There are those who are innocent of how bad the world really is, there are those who are willingly in it ("cops and robbers"), and there are those who have been forced into it..............and may be desperately trying to get to type 1.

Who am I, who is anyone to force the innocent out of that bliss until there is an actual need?

Taking it down another level, I had to learn around 12 that the world was not as pretty as one might think. My family was on a diplomatic passport, we were traveling in the Mid East, and hence, I could be a target for whatever one might imagine.

But perhaps at the age of 12, we should educate children how bad the world is anyhow, and take away that joy of childhood...................................I certainly don't agree with that. I believe childhood is precious and should be held on to as long as possible.

So, A and B.

A: Who is to say that the data is correct?

B: What right does one have to force the ugliness of the world on another?

A. Every human being knows the difference between right and wrong, but oftentimes they haven't considered important applications of their innate moral sense.

B. I didn't see any force used in the video, did you? The man asked some people some questions. Nobody was held at gunpoint.

I've been a missionary for 40+ years and I've yet to force my opinion or worldview on anyone. I have steered conversations to get people thinking about different subjects, and I've asked questions too.

One has to educate children from conception. Waiting until they're twelve is much too late. I've had nine kids and have lived in the Middle East (as have some of my kids), as well as many other places. By the time I was 50 I had lived in 64 places. I stopped counting after that. The Earth is a wonderful place; it's the system upon it that needs correcting. Thankfully, that daunting task will not be left to humans, but we do get to help.

Mahrie.

Old 01-05-2015, 02:49 AM

23,593 posts, read 13,793,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahrie View Post
A. Every human being knows the difference between right and wrong, but oftentimes they haven't considered important applications of their innate moral sense.

B. I didn't see any force used in the video, did you? The man asked some people some questions. Nobody was held at gunpoint.

I've been a missionary for 40+ years and I've yet to force my opinion or worldview on anyone. I have steered conversations to get people thinking about different subjects, and I've asked questions too.

One has to educate children from conception. Waiting until they're twelve is much too late. I've had nine kids and have lived in the Middle East (as have some of my kids), as well as many other places. By the time I was 50 I had lived in 64 places. I stopped counting after that. The Earth is a wonderful place; it's the system upon it that needs correcting. Thankfully, that daunting task will not be left to humans, but we do get to help.

Mahrie.
And yet, it is not until this posting that tell people here what is in the video, what the end message of the video is.

Before, your first post said nothing about what people were to see, said nothing about the underlying message............or, if you maintain that your first post did talk about the underlying message, then it was falsely delivered.

I see nothing in the first post that says that the problem with today's world is abortion. I saw nothing to warn people that they were about to see footage of the Nazi Genocide.

Long story short, be polite. Provide a transcript to go along with the video. Provide a summary to go along with the sales pitch.

Old 01-05-2015, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
And yet, it is not until this posting that tell people here what is in the video, what the end message of the video is.

Before, your first post said nothing about what people were to see, said nothing about the underlying message............or, if you maintain that your first post did talk about the underlying message, then it was falsely delivered.

I see nothing in the first post that says that the problem with today's world is abortion. I saw nothing to warn people that they were about to see footage of the Nazi Genocide.

Long story short, be polite. Provide a transcript to go along with the video. Provide a summary to go along with the sales pitch.

I don't think that is the point of the video, TS. I'm hard to shock, but I was blown away by the level of ignorance these college students displayed. Who would have thought that our 'adult' kids would have no idea who Hitler was, and many had never so much as heard of him?

The video isn't just about abortion, or the Holocaust, or lust, lies, theft, and blasphemy; it's about the fact that people have no idea what they themselves think (or know) about these subjects. Look how easy it was to change their minds about several different moral issues. Young people today are simply not educated well enough to grow into deliberate people who aren't stymied by simple moral questions. No wonder REGRET is so prevalent among those in their thirties nowadays.

The bottom line for me is that people can't make informed choices if they are not informed. As parents (and other grownups) who do know better, we owe these 'kids' more information. We need to get them thinking about making moral choices in a largely immoral world - for their own sake. Perhaps you would have chosen different parallels to make that point, and so might I have, but the point remains never the less.

The popular 'Anything goes' culture that we live in is not all right, and it leads to much heartache, regardless of whatever else one believes.

Mahrie.
Edited to add: the OP is not a 'Sales pitch' and it hardly needs transcription to be understood.

Old 01-05-2015, 07:52 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,380,320 times
Why do so many conservatives sit around *****ing about "what is wrong with our youth?"

Youth has always been the same. What is wrong with the people criticizing them?

Old 01-05-2015, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Why do so many conservatives sit around *****ing about "what is wrong with our youth?"

Youth has always been the same. What is wrong with the people criticizing them?

Perhaps youth has always been the same, but the state of the world we live in has not. As I mentioned above, we owe these adult 'kids' more in the way of information and a moral compass that will enable them to make informed choices in life. They're certainly not equipped for that now.

Old 01-05-2015, 09:11 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,060,664 times
Quote:
I don't think that is the point of the video, TS. I'm hard to shock, but I was blown away by the level of ignorance these college students displayed. Who would have thought that our 'adult' kids would have no idea who Hitler was, and many had never so much as heard of him?

The video isn't just about abortion, or the Holocaust, or lust, lies, theft, and blasphemy; it's about the fact that people have no idea what they themselves think (or know) about these subjects. Look how easy it was to change their minds about several different moral issues. Young people today are simply not educated well enough to grow into deliberate people who aren't stymied by simple moral questions. No wonder REGRET is so prevalent among those in their thirties nowadays.

The bottom line for me is that people can't make informed choices if they are not informed. As parents (and other grownups) who do know better, we owe these 'kids' more information. We need to get them thinking about making moral choices in a largely immoral world - for their own sake. Perhaps you would have chosen different parallels to make that point, and so might I have, but the point remains never the less.

The popular 'Anything goes' culture that we live in is not all right, and it leads to much heartache, regardless of whatever else one believes.

Mahrie.
Edited to add: the OP is not a 'Sales pitch' and it hardly needs transcription to be understood.
You should give the same tests that show that "80 percent of college students can't place more than three countries on a map" to the older people that complain about what college students don't know.

I bet their results wouldn't be any better.

It's like that 8th grade test from 1900 that none of us would pass. They didn't learn more back then; they learned different things.

Old 01-05-2015, 02:48 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,861,437 times
Quote:
Perhaps youth has always been the same, but the state of the world we live in has not. As I mentioned above, we owe these adult 'kids' more in the way of information and a moral compass that will enable them to make informed choices in life. They're certainly not equipped for that now.
So long as their "informed choices" jibe with your moral compass?

Pass.

Old 01-05-2015, 02:54 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,768,868 times
I don't think there's anything wrong with " our youth."

I think old fogeys are the only ones always complaining about the younger generations and they have been doing it for years and will continue to do so every generation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies