Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 12:11 PM

3,734 posts, read 2,562,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
My question is- why is Hollywood doing this, why now, and why even bother?
I believe it's part of the broader cultural-Marxist agenda of modern Liberals.. which is the displacement, and replacement, of Whites in America. It's naïve to say it's simply financially motivated. Many people in Hollywood are political players and powerful left-wing donors, they have political motives & ideologies just like the rest of us. Hollywood, for better or worse (that's subjective), has a long history of political activism.

When audiences see a continuous theme in cultural production, how/why would ppl think there is no underlying cultural motive (?) Like you inferred in your original post, the formula is almost exclusively a one-way street: Whites being discarded & replaced by Black actors and characters. Seems obvious to me what it's about. And yes, it does matter, just look at any ethnic group, who is demonized, or excised from public life.. how bad things can get for them.. (peace)

Old 01-05-2015, 12:12 PM

26,573 posts, read 14,444,771 times
"maybe it's because i'm irish."

- morgan freeman, "the shawshank redemption"

Old 01-05-2015, 12:22 PM

29,486 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
File this whole topic under "WGAF"

For one, the prequels already wrecked the entire SW universe more than making Lil' Wayne the voice of Yoda and Flava Flave playing C3PO ever could. Seriously, watch Hayden Christiansen in Episode II, replay his love scenes with Natalie Portman a couple dozen times, and you'll be begging to have the opening music of John Williams replaced by "Straight Outta Compton."

A black stormtrooper? That's supposed to wreck SW, while flying, flamethrower, swiss army, 007 version of R2-D2 is what...part of official Episode 4-6 canon? Whatever.

Denzel as the Equalizer was better and more fun than some old British guy, imho. And if the myth of the black 007 ever comes true, whoever that dude is will probably come off a lot more believable as a super badass than anyone other than Sean Connery ever has. Sorry, but after Man on Fire, 2 Guns, and Training Day, I'd buy Denzel as a more believable licensed to kill badass than a white British dude.

I've read Marvel comics back to 1973ish, and I LOVE Sam Jackson as Nick Fury. Love him so much they should refit the comics to make Fury a black guy who says Pulp Fiction lines.

Just not seeing why the fuss if they do remakes and use black actors? Who cares? And one more SW note....who was the tactical field leader at the Battle of Endor? That's right...Billy Dee Williams, boys and girls. That's GENERAL CALRISSIAN to all you beeshes.
LOL ! Some good points.

Denzel completely proved himself a badass in those movies but him replacing Daniel Craig (hypothetically speaking) as 007 ...no way.

And Samuel Jackson is Nick Fury, I can't see it played by anyone else and don't forget he is also a Jedi...Mace Windu.

I really don't care, Hollywierd has lost it's magic in movie making. I will admit I sort of laughed at the remake of Anne though... both because of the switch and for the remake itself.
What next a remake of Alien with the Xenomorph being replaced by Richard Simmons ?

Old 01-05-2015, 12:24 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
File this whole topic under "WGAF"

For one, the prequels already wrecked the entire SW universe more than making Lil' Wayne the voice of Yoda and Flava Flave playing C3PO ever could. Seriously, watch Hayden Christiansen in Episode II, replay his love scenes with Natalie Portman a couple dozen times, and you'll be begging to have the opening music of John Williams replaced by "Straight Outta Compton."

A black stormtrooper? That's supposed to wreck SW, while flying, flamethrower, swiss army, 007 version of R2-D2 is what...part of official Episode 4-6 canon? Whatever.

Denzel as the Equalizer was better and more fun than some old British guy, imho. And if the myth of the black 007 ever comes true, whoever that dude is will probably come off a lot more believable as a super badass than anyone other than Sean Connery ever has. Sorry, but after Man on Fire, 2 Guns, and Training Day, I'd buy Denzel as a more believable licensed to kill badass than a white British dude.

I've read Marvel comics back to 1973ish, and I LOVE Sam Jackson as Nick Fury. Love him so much they should refit the comics to make Fury a black guy who says Pulp Fiction lines.

Just not seeing why the fuss if they do remakes and use black actors? Who cares? And one more SW note....who was the tactical field leader at the Battle of Endor? That's right...Billy Dee Williams, boys and girls. That's GENERAL CALRISSIAN to all you beeshes.

If only "nobody cares."

These days however, so much black social commentary has devolved into non-stop obsession over concepts such as "cultural appropriation" of "black culture" by "non-blacks," one could argue that the re-branding of white characters is some form of "cultural appropriation"** going on as well.

**(Which I actually don't believe in as a concept in America, where there is very little cultural offering that doesn't have a dozen sources of input and mixing... from fried chicken to yes, rock and roll).

After all, every Madea movie is simply a black drag version of "Ernst," is it not? We already have "Madea goes to Jail," I'm waiting for "Madea goes to Camp." I'm going to write a Hispanic character named "Abuelita" (played by a fat man in drag) and market it to the even larger Latin American audience in North and South America:

"Abuelita goes to jail," "Diary of una Loca," etc.

Old 01-05-2015, 12:28 PM

1,147 posts, read 1,899,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
if you follow the storyline of episodes 1-3 then they're ALL supposed to be maori. would you have been equally as shocked if a white actor was playing a stormtrooper?
/*Geek powers on

To throw my geek cred around; by the time of Episodes 4-6 clones had stopped being produced after a clone rebellion. Clone troopers were replaced with storm trooper made up of normal citizens of the empire (with a few still being clones). This is how Luke and Han were able to get away with dressing as troopers in Ep 4 while being different heights.

Geek powers off*/

Old 01-05-2015, 12:29 PM

13,685 posts, read 9,009,247 times
Some may recall that, as usual, there is nothing new under the Sun.

Back in the early 1970s quite a few movies were made to cater to the black American audience, like Shaft (with that marvelous theme song) and the awful (but campy) "Blacula".

It is simply another cycle, and not part of some silly liberal-marxist agenda. Money talks in Hollywood, for those who didn't know.

Old 01-05-2015, 12:30 PM

46,956 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
I believe it's part of the broader cultural-Marxist agenda of modern Liberals.. which is the displacement, and replacement, of Whites in America. It's naïve to say it's simply financially motivated. Many people in Hollywood are political players and powerful left-wing donors, they have political motives & ideologies just like the rest of us. Hollywood, for better or worse (that's subjective), has a long history of political activism.

When audiences see a continuous theme in cultural production, how/why would ppl think there is no underlying cultural motive (?) Like you inferred in your original post, the formula is almost exclusively a one-way street: Whites being discarded & replaced by Black actors and characters. Seems obvious to me what it's about. And yes, it does matter, just look at any ethnic group, who is demonized, or excised from public life.. how bad things can get for them.. (peace)
I've said it before: Nobody can feel as persecuted as people who are losing a privilege they've come to consider a law of nature.

Old 01-05-2015, 12:31 PM

46,956 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIOC View Post
/*Geek powers on

To throw my geek cred around; by the time of Episodes 4-6 clones had stopped being produced after a clone rebellion. Clone troopers were replaced with storm trooper made up of normal citizens of the empire (with a few still being clones). This is how Luke and Han were able to get away with dressing as troopers in Ep 4 while being different heights.

Geek powers off*/
Wasn't one of them a little short for a storm trooper?

Old 01-05-2015, 12:34 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,994,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
You got something against Blacks in movies? Denzel Washington did a good job in The Equalizer.
I have nothing against Denzel. He's a great actor. I loved The Equalizer too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
I'd definitely watch a black Batman over Ben Affleck; who thought that was a good idea?
Agree. There's been too many Batman remakes already so it's kind of ripe for a black version which I think would play well across all audiences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
The question I have is how does the Empire still exists 30 years after the Rebel victory at Endoor?
The answer will be revealed all in good time.

Wasn't there a rumor a while back about somebody making a black Lincoln movie? That's going a bit far, I think, since Lincoln is a historical figure and not a figment of Stan Lee's imagination.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 01-05-2015 at 02:21 PM.. Reason: deleted quoted post

Old 01-05-2015, 12:36 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
I don't see a point in a black James Bond. Why can't a whole new spy character be created who just happens to be black? Are Hollywood writers so lazy? And I'd think that the black filmgoers would be offended that it would so implausable that there couldn't be a black superspy character with no ties to the James Bond legacy. What next? A black Jason Bourne?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies