Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 04:00 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,071,796 times

Advertisements

As a Christian, I believe that thinking Christians are the world's most persecuted group is silly. Outside of certain places in the Middle East, Christians are privileged.

Although being an "actual Christian" is difficult, because there is so much false teaching that has been accepted and adopted by mainstream Christian thought in America. But I'll save that discussion for another day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 04:02 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,782,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post

Ah, 2 Timothy, the self fulfilling prophecy.

Also, who's we? What persecution are you facing in your life? Has anyone threatened to kill you because of your faith? Have your friends been killed because of their faith? To compare any struggles your life has becasue of your faith to the legitimate persecution of Christians in the Middle East is to make of mockery of their struggle. It implies that you actually do not care at all about what's happening to your fellow Christians in the Middle East, and that odds are, you never think about it unless someone mentions it first.

Christians are not at risk in the US. You might be losing your political advantage and becoming more equal to other religions, but that's how it supposed to be. Losing privilege is not oppression.

If you can't take what I say in context then I won't even pretend to have a valid conversation with you.

You draw lines between countries and act as if the persecution in other countries has nothing to do with Christians here. Of course I'm not being persecuted, but then I never claimed to be... did I?

The thing about persecuting people for their beliefs is that it tends to spread. What isn't here now could be here very quickly. Shouldn't we be protecting everyone's right to believe what they wish to believe?

Old 01-06-2015, 04:03 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,499,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
In the US today, if you publicly come out and bash religion or say you are an athiest, most people won't care but if you come out and stand for your Christian beliefs, you will be publicly ridiculed by the media and others. Even President Obama tone downed his Christian beliefs for fear of offending people and potentially losing votes.
WOW, I didn't know how bad it was but this thread gives us a glimpse of it. Scary. You are so right.

Old 01-06-2015, 04:09 PM

2,616 posts, read 2,397,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
WOW, I didn't know how bad it was but this thread gives us a glimpse of it. Scary. You are so right.
You reap what you sow.

Old 01-06-2015, 04:16 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,472,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
In the US today, if you publicly come out and bash religion or say you are an atheist, most people won't care but if you come out and stand for your Christian beliefs, you will be publicly ridiculed by the media and others. Even President Obama tone downed his Christian beliefs for fear of offending people and potentially losing votes.
Christians are a gigantic nuisance to the rest of the population. Not all of them, but the ones who wish to really make a point of everyone knowing they're Christian. Naturally, they will spin their resulting unpopularity as a form of persecution.

Old 01-06-2015, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxendale View Post
You reap what you sow.
What did I do to you?????

Old 01-06-2015, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Christians are a gigantic nuisance to the rest of the population. Not all of them, but the ones who wish to really make a point of everyone knowing they're Christian. Naturally, they will spin their resulting unpopularity as a form of persecution.
So you don't believe the video or did you even look at it?

Old 01-06-2015, 04:22 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,472,735 times
Quote:
So you don't believe the video or did you even look at it?
I was only answering the PP, who was speaking of "the U.S. today..." No, I did not watch the video, but no, I do not deny that some Christians experience actual persecution in some places.

Old 01-06-2015, 04:32 PM

2,616 posts, read 2,397,409 times
Quote:
What did I do to you?????
You support a religious organization that is oppressive.

Old 01-06-2015, 05:14 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,091,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
If you can't take what I say in context then I won't even pretend to have a valid conversation with you.

You draw lines between countries and act as if the persecution in other countries has nothing to do with Christians here. Of course I'm not being persecuted, but then I never claimed to be... did I?

The thing about persecuting people for their beliefs is that it tends to spread. What isn't here now could be here very quickly. Shouldn't we be protecting everyone's right to believe what they wish to believe?
Islamic extremism is not going to spread to Europe or the Americas, especially not the US. Christianity is, rather I like it or not, very deeply rooted into American culture. A massive cultural change would be required for any form of persecution of Christians to happen in the US. No change has occurred.

There is no way Christians are the most persecuted group. There's more of them, and that's it. Percentage wise, they are probably among the least persecuted in most parts of the globe. A regional persecution is not enough to consider them the most persecuted group. This doesn't mean we shouldn't care about them; I don't want anyone to be hurt for any reason. But don't big it up. A minority of Christians are being persecuted. Christians as a whole are doing just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies