Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 12:32 AM

23,655 posts, read 17,472,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
I won't pretend to know what specific oppression he was talking about, but I have a pretty good idea.

It's important to remember that good can be done by an oppressive group. A rather extreme example works best here: Hitler oppressed millions, BUT he did get Germany out of a major economic depression and made Germany a legitimate world power.

While many Christian organizations run effective charities, there are also numerous Christian organizations that serve as political lobbyists or fund anti-gay rights movements.
If our Christian country---yes we do have Christian values---Germany would have remained in shambles and gone no where. Our country does treat our enemies very nicely after we defeat them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Ward Churchill???? Hundreds of years of history, written by both the persecuted and the persecutors, and you think that persecution by christians is a new idea from Ward Churchill???

Well OK, lots of people don't know much about world history, but you clearly don't know very much about american history either.

Make up anything you please, just don't expect your ideas to be taken seriously. Because you are just plain factually wrong.
And you have been taught by the liberal----America is the enemy of the world----professors. Watch Denish D'souza's "America" film. He wasn't born here so he can be more objective on how good we have it and have treated the world, first there when tragedies happen, etc. Of course, far left won't watch it but at least give it a try.

Old 01-07-2015, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Agreed, and I don't.

I have no problem at all, however, blaming modern-day people who insist it never happened.

Oh, it happened but don't believe the myths about it.

Old 01-07-2015, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Sooo Christians push their beliefs onto the rest of us, & some they are persecuted?
You have had beliefs "pushed on you"? Who, where? The last time I looked we still live in a free country, believe what you want.

Old 01-07-2015, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
In all honest it was the secular courts that burned Pagans & such not the church. However they still did it in the name of God & Christianity.
No, they used the name of Christianity to do it. Big difference. So you are an American, so you are responsible for all the wars you don't support, just by living in this country? Ok, if you believe that.

Old 01-07-2015, 12:44 AM

302 posts, read 196,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
You have had beliefs "pushed on you"? Who, where? The last time I looked we still live in a free country, believe what you want.
In 7 US states it is, by law, illegal to run for office if you are atheist. In addition, opposition to gay marriage and some opposition to abortion is based on religious beliefs, and affects people who are not religious.

Old 01-07-2015, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Christians are actually doing quite well in China.

It's not great in India, but it borders Pakistan so I saw that coming. Christians are certainly better off in India than they would be in Pakistan.

Christians are doing just fine in Russia, and from what I understand, it's expected to get better for them.

Christians also have it quite easy in North and South America and Europe. The fact remains that Christians can be just about anywhere. North Africa and the Middle East are not great for Christians, but in all fairness, is anyone really doing well? As for the rest of East Asia, I don't know a whole lot about it. I know they're doing fine in South Korea. But with so much of the world being a safe zone for Christians, it's hard for the objective mind to believe that Christians are the most persecuted minority. They aren't even a minority. While only making up 30% of the world, they are the largest religion. So just contrasting this to other religions, which is what's been done throughout this thread, nothing in the original claim is even possible.
You didn't watch the video. Yes, Christians are the minority in many places. In places where they once were the majority, like the Holy Land. Just because the Crusades were fought doesn't mean they were won. In fact, most were lost and the victor wrote the story. That is why the Crusaders are the villains, they lost, so the story is told by the other side.

Old 01-07-2015, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
There were Christians on both sides of the slavery issue, so you can't really claim any moral high ground there. How about those good Christians that took Native Americans children away from their families?
UNDER AMERICA'S RUG

Or the good christians that were all for segregation?
“Almighty God created the races white, black, yellow, malay and red, and he placed them on separate continents. And but for the interference with his arrangement there would be no cause for such marriages. The fact that he separated the races shows that he did not intend for the races to mix.”
— Judge Leon M. Bazile, January 6, 1959

And some christian organizations were even against womens rights.

So it appears to me that there are good and bad Christians just like there are good and bad Muslims, and good and bad atheists. Basically some PEOPLE are good some PEOPLE are bad.

Correct so lets stop painting all with a wide brush, even Christians.

Old 01-07-2015, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
The Bible was used to defend slavery. What do think the cross signifies when set ablaze by the KKK?

It means the KKK are idiots and that is all.

Old 01-07-2015, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical Paradox View Post
In 7 US states it is, by law, illegal to run for office if you are atheist. In addition, opposition to gay marriage and some opposition to abortion is based on religious beliefs, and affects people who are not religious.
What states are those? Never heard of that and I bet we already have atheists in office. Abortion is legal last time I looked and gay marriage is being passed all over the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies