Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 11:15 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,350,826 times

Advertisements

I have to be honest, I don't have any non-white co-workers. I don't have any non-white neighbors. I don't have any close acquantances that are non-white because I don't come in contact with them. Race relations aren't an issue where I live. It has nothing to do with being racist, it's just the demographics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 11:21 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Nope. Never have, never will.

I only care about my friends and family.

Hate my race? That's your problem.

Old 01-06-2015, 11:21 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Please tell me about this white advantage or privilege I keep hearing about. Can you tell me where I can get this so-called privilege? I'm afraid that in 2015 that the only thing holding black people back is black people.
Breathe the air. Walk the street. Or, more instructively, do something wrong. Chances are, your life won't be in danger if you do, while someone with African origins has to worry about his life even if he isn't doing anything wrong.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucario

If that were really the case, you wouldn't be
here.

Really now? I think I would know where my
ancestors
came from. I can assure you they were not on this continent when

slavery was legal. They came over well after.

You didn't say anything about this continent. You said something about your ancestors not being around during slavery. I pointed out correctly that this was an impossibility.

Quote:
It's not legally
allowed, but it definitely remains.

Provide proof?
Are you not as a citizen of this country
free to seek residence where ever you
want? Who is holding you
back?

If you really think that even the richest black
person can live wherever he wants, you know nothing about America. There are
huge swaths of this country where black people cannot safely or comfortably live
- no matter who they are or how much money they make.

Old 01-06-2015, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
I have to be honest, I don't have any non-white co-workers. I don't have any non-white neighbors. I don't have any close acquantances that are non-white because I don't come in contact with them. Race relations aren't an issue where I live. It has nothing to do with being racist, it's just the demographics.
That's the case for the overwhelming majority of white people.

Nothing to do with racism.

Whites don't know blacks for the most part. It's that simple.

Old 01-06-2015, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Yet when middle class Blacks move into a these White neighborhoods, Whites start to leave. It's been proven time and time again that most Whites don't want to live among a large amount of minorities regardless of income(especially Blacks).
Or Whites do everything they can to make sure these middle-class Blacks know they are unwelcome.

Old 01-06-2015, 11:25 AM

19,839 posts, read 12,099,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Breathe the air. Walk the street. Or, more instructively, do something wrong. Chances are, your life won't be in danger if you do, while someone with African origins has to worry about his life even if he isn't doing anything wrong.

You didn't say anything about this continent. You said something about your ancestors not being around during slavery. I pointed out correctly that this was an impossibility.

huge swaths of this country where black people cannot safely or comfortably live
There are not huge swaths of this country where black people cannot live, especially wealthy blacks. How well do you think a pale white person would do in certain neighborhoods?

Old 01-06-2015, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
There are not huge swaths of this country where black
people cannot live, especially wealthy blacks.
Are you black?

Quote:
How well do you think a pale white person would do in certain
neighborhoods?
I don't know. I don't make assumptions about what happens to white people as a whole because I would have no way of knowing. I know they'll be a lot more comfortable anywhere in America generally.

Old 01-06-2015, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Are you black?

I don't know. I don't make assumptions about what happens to white people as a whole because I would have no way of knowing. I know they'll be a lot more comfortable anywhere in America generally.
Lol...absolutely correct.

Old 01-06-2015, 11:34 AM

8,632 posts, read 12,999,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I agree. It's like this in older rust belt cities. But if you go to a new suburb in the sun belt, the New South, out West, you will find that any Black family that can move to one of these suburbs will be quite welcome. It's not an issue of their color but how they maintain themselves and property. Anyone with the means, regardless of the color, to move in to a McMansion neighborhood will do fine. Everyone is from some where else anyway, so the old Northern attitude "this is a ______ neighborhood so get out" doesn't exist.

Housing is often emotional. Show me an older suburb with large numbers of Blacks and I will show you a neighborhood of run down property, Section 8 respect for property, garish paint colors if painted at all, junk in yards, land scaping gone to hell, two toned shutters, etc etc etc. It's a stereotype, I know but as I said housing is emotional, and this is what people are running from. They worry about their lifetime investment, not the fact they are living next to a Black family.
The South and West aren't perfect. White Flight occurred in a lot of those cities as well, it is not just a Northern characteristic. What a lot of those Southern and Western cities did was simply annexed surrounding suburbs to make White Flight appear obvious than it really was. You can call it being "emotional" all you want but it's still racial stereotyping based on being prejudice. You also have to take into account that some of these families don't want their sons or daughters dating or marrying Black people or other minority groups. It's not all about property values as most just didn't want to live among minorities.

Old 01-06-2015, 11:46 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,987,093 times
Quote:

Seems to me that in 2015 someone of African origin has more of chance of being killed by another person of African origin than being killed by a white person.

No. They weren't on this continent.

And yet, most of the athletes for Cleveland sports teams (very wealthy mind you) live in some of the most well to do suburbs in northeast Ohio. Put it this way, I'd much rather Lebron James live next to me than the white meth head tweaker that lived across the street from me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies