Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 02:42 AM

35 posts, read 97,943 times

Advertisements

MIKE,
You could not have said it any better. We will also be celebrating as well -- just counting the days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2006, 04:33 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Our foreign policy is abysmal. I certainly do not feel safer.
Then there is the national budget.
I can't remember the last time I was this depressed about our state of affairs.

Old 11-05-2006, 07:39 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700 View Post
You bet and that's why the Dems are for amnesty so they can get more votes. The sleeper cells have been coming in before Bush. At least we have something called the Dept of Homeland security and a fence being put up on the border finally. This is all under the Bush Administration and the Dems fought him on the fence and the Dept of Homeland Security.

Well I like to keep my money and my life. Good Luck celebrating with the terrorist maybe you can turn on CNN they may be picking up the events in Iraq.
Excuse me, it's BUSH who is for amnesty...remember 'comprehensive immigration reform'? So now BUSH is a Democrat? Moderator cut: No personal attacks Sure, he's going to build a fence . There is just no FUNDING for the fence. He sends national guard troops with their hands tied behind their backs; they cannot participate in apprehending illegal aliens as they cross the border. It's all a show, you know, like show business! He he he smirk smirk smirk. That's right, we don't have to think just watch the 'show'. Like television, like a bad sitcom, just watch, just waaaattcchh...you are getting sleeeeepy.

Old 11-05-2006, 08:04 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times

Old 11-05-2006, 08:57 AM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
.....Sure, he's going to build a fence: rolleyes: . There is just no FUNDING for the fence. He sends national guard troops with their hands tied behind their backs; they cannot participate in apprehending illegal aliens as they cross the border. It's all a show....
Exactly. That's the game in DC; declare a program that "solves" a problem, make a splashy public pronouncement, tell the people about the great stuff that is going to be done, and overnight, 90% of the people think it IS going to solved, but the reality is that a lot of what is announced is never funded and left to die on the "cannot afford it this year" stack. Now that he has "announced" a program to build a fence, the public demonstrations have stopped and people think the government is "on track" to fix it. No. Nadda. Zip. Ain't gonna happen.

I wonder how many of all the billions he promised the Gulf Coast after Katrina have actually been PROVIDED for the clean up and rebuilding. He got on TV and said that $200B or so would be made available. The double speak out of this guy's mouth is amazing. Made available when, by whom, in what form, with what strings, etc. So far, I've heard about sweetheart deals with out of state contractors, at exorbitant prices. The locals down there seem to be getting little benefit. But he announced a program, and the problem went off the radar screen.

s/Mike

Old 11-05-2006, 09:24 AM

753 posts, read 758,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post

Hi,

That cliff that rises right 'bout 2000, your tax cuts at work.

Old 11-05-2006, 10:14 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,171,221 times
Quote:
"Pastor" Ted Haggert
I feel so sorry for this guy's family. I can't imagine how bad they must feel.

Old 11-05-2006, 12:06 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,094,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FistFightingHairdresser View Post
Hi,

That cliff that rises right 'bout 2000, your tax cuts at work.
Yep, another way to appease the middle class while really lining the pockets of the rich!

Old 11-05-2006, 05:41 PM

454 posts, read 906,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
For me the Carter years come to mind. 20% interest rates, 12% inflation, 8-10% unemployment. The creation of the "misery index". Iran held hostages and Carter did not know how to handle it (via his leadership he sent a rescue mission in the middle of a wind storm that knocked the choppers out of the skies, killing the crews). The stock market was in the tank, the housing industry was a total bust. The Carter Foreign Policy was void of substance. Americans felt downright crappy about themselves.

Can't blame Carter for it all. Ford was an idiot. Nixon blew the Republican party apart. Vietnam was still an open wound.

If you were too young to remember this, I can't blame you for seeing today as being bad in your mind, but no, what we have today is nothing compared to what it was like to be back there.

Old 11-05-2006, 09:59 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,094,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the dufferz View Post

If you were too young to remember this, I can't blame you for seeing today as being bad in your mind, but no, what we have today is nothing compared to what it was like to be back there.
If this trend keeps up...who knows. With China growing and Walmart taking over as the #1 employer in the USA and our auto industry in the toilet things surely are not looking rosy! Pretty soon the only things "made in America" will be food, aircraft and steel.

Never mind the fact that the # of Americans covered by health and pension plans is dropping dramatically..IMO that is going to come up and bite us in the butt hard. The health care system is very broke and it is a matter of time before the issues you see as a health care provider become glaringly evident to the layperson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies